DSE901 USB Pass-thru any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillPower

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
MA, USA
Is USB pass-thru battery for DSE901 any good? I read somewhere in ECF that the pass-thru doesn't work well (not enough power to generate good vapor). Wondering if that's a typical problem with pass-thru.

Could you let me know if you USB pass-thru for DSE901 works as well as a fully charged battery, somewhat drained battery, or one that needs charging desperately?

Also, does it make any difference if I use a wall power outlet-to-USB converter (like the ones for iPod or cellphones, etc) instead of connecting it to a computer?

Thank you.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
I've had passthroughs for both 801 and the 901. They all seemed to break very easily and I thought they were pieces of poop. That was until the last time I ordered two passthroughs (one 801 and one 901) when I got them I took a piece of clear heat shrink and heat shrinked the connection between the battery housing and the cable (about a half inch covering the battery and a half inch covering the cable. This has kept both passthroughs secure from breaking solder joints and both are going strong after a month whereas the previous passthroughs would last no longer than a week.

With the heat shrink I highly recommend them as they seem very durable now. I would also advise getting the clear heat shrink so you can still see the led.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
Actually it works better than a fully charged battery on my 901

Same here and it should a USB passthrough should be delivering somewhere close to 5v versus a battery that begins it's life at somewhere around 3.6v and begins to degrade almost immediately.

Keep in mind though that you still have to contend with a problematic automatic switch with a five second cut-off so a screwdriver or magnum mod still spanks a passthrough any day with the advantage of a manual switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread