Dry burn eRoll atty without eGO battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
So after reading about TennDave "dry burning" his atty by smoking it with very little juice and not inhaling, I thought I might give it a try. The only problem is I don't have a SS wick, and didn't want to burn mine up in the process.

I have to say that I've never dry burned attys before, but I have read that many do, and mine seemed to be getting gummed up. Many eRoll owners simply remove the spike and dry burn with an eGO battery or by blowing through the side hole (which can cause it to go into freak out mode). Here's what I did (and I'm not trying to take credit - I'm sure someone else has done this):

WARNING: Do not try this at home. You may burn your lips or damage your battery.

I removed the spike from the atty and placed the coil back on the battery. I noticed a bunch of black gunk on the atty - it looked pretty gummed up and had been drawing kind of hard. I placed the cone on the battery and covered the side hole with my thumb. Then, I put my lips on the cone and sucked in for no longer than three seconds. I looked at the coil and it was glowing red from end to end. I DID NOT inhale the putrid smoke. The cone got slightly warm, but my lips did not even come close to burning (I've had the cone get WAY hotter from normal vaping). The putrid smoke wasn't even that unpleasant as I was not inhaling it. I did this about three or four times until all the black gunk burned to gray. The atty hits just like new again - clouds of vapor.

The only downside is I forgot to wipe out the cone before I did this, and my lips are tingling from nic. Next time, that won't be an issue.

Again, please don't try this and come crying to me because you burnt your lips. YMMV.

Last edited:

GA Bill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2011
Georgia
You can dry burn using the eRoll, do exactly what you did to prep the atty (removing the spike and putting it back together). The step you should take next is to inhale from the LED side just to activate the battery. What then happens is you can watch it dry burn for I think around 10 seconds when the battery stops itself. This is a very cool trick I learned from some else on here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
an easier move would be to dig up an old ego c type a system with a button and just use that

With all due respect, the entire point of my post was to help people who don't have an eGo c type a battery lying around. Thanks for the input, though.

You can dry burn using the eRoll, do exactly what you did to prep the atty (removing the spike and putting it back together). The step you should take next is to inhale from the LED side just to activate the battery. What then happens is you can watch it dry burn for I think around 10 seconds when the battery stops itself. This is a very cool trick I learned from some else on here.

Is it OK to dry burn for 10 seconds? I was under the impression that dry burns should be no longer than three seconds. Also, does putting your battery in "freak out mode" cause damage?

Last edited:

mommyofdoom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Since I realized that there's some sort of wick inside of the coil, I only dry burn as a last resort, if I can't get the gunk off with alcohol.

What I do is remove the spike, put the atomizer body back on the battery, replace the cone (like you did)... then I blow into the lighted end to activate the battery for a couple of seconds at a time, allowing it to cool between.

It's easy to see how red the coil's getting, just face a mirror while doing it.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you need more than alcohol, one method is denture tablets. There are threads and videos on it about. You'll likely need to pull the spike to use em though.

As for dry burning, it's very touchy to do if you can't see the coil. If you get the coil too hot you can damage the head or melt the coil. Usually I watch the thing carefully and do it only in very short bursts. You don't want it bright orange for more than a moment, and if there is enough gunk on there, you can burn up the coil without ever seeing light at all.

Generally I give it a couple 2-3 second bursts and then see if I can blow any ash off. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

GA Bill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2011
Georgia
Is it OK to dry burn for 10 seconds? I was under the impression that dry burns should be no longer than three seconds. Also, does putting your battery in "freak out mode" cause damage?[/QUOTE]

I've never had a problem with the coils or the batteries after using this method. After I do the dry burns, I take both the spike and the coil and place them in boiling water for 10 minutes. After that, let them dry thoroughly before reassembling. I just collect all my used attys in a cup until I have about 5 of them and I do them all at once. Works fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
I've never had a problem with the coils or the batteries after using this method. After I do the dry burns, I take both the spike and the coil and place them in boiling water for 10 minutes. After that, let them dry thoroughly before reassembling. I just collect all my used attys in a cup until I have about 5 of them and I do them all at once. Works fantastic.

Thanks for the tip. I'm still unsure about the blowing through the battery - it's caused mine to discharge for the full 10 seconds. I'm leery about doing a 10 second dry burn, though it may be fine for the atty. If I could be sure that blowing through the battery would never cause it to stay on for 10 seconds or damage it, I would go with this method. However, drawing on the battery I can be sure that it won't likely fire for the full time.

To each their own, and thanks again for the boiling water tip!

EricDykstra

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,il
I came up with a method that cleans as good as a dry burn. I soak the atty in alcohol for while, usually over night just because its easier. You should never just remove the spike without soaking first. The wick can become fused to the coil and removing the spike in this state can damage the coil. (trust me)

After the spike is remove, while in the alcohol I gently rub the coil with small flat head screw driver. Tons of black particles will come off. I rub the wick in the alcohol with small screw driver. To finish I let it dry out.

I have done a dry burn on an atty I have cleaned. There were no additional black particles coming off the atty from the dry burn.

bjblackston

Jul 28, 2013
Minneapolis
Do you use rubbing alcohol or soaking alcohol to clean the attys? My vendor recommended rubbing alcohol, but I have heard others don't care for this. Does it matter? Do you have to 'rinse off' the alcohol after you're finished cleaning, or do you just let it dry?

Sorry if the questions seem silly--I'm still new to vaping, and I'm trying to keep my eRoll fresh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread