Dripping on Automatic Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Is dripping on automatic batteries using drip tips considered a 'no-no'?

The problem is the hole in the auto battery that allows air through and allows the battery to sense when the user is drawing.... if you do dripping then you are liable to get EJ up this hole and that will kill the battery.

But, if there are some that do this then I guess it can be done.

Yeah, I got some Joye 306 batteries and they can handle 2.3 ohms and I am considering using them again. But, if you can't drip using them then I would be restricted to the 2.8 ohm boge cartomizers (not many 306 carto types out there, and using cartridges does not seem like a good option) and that means a much weaker vape.

Any help would be appreciated!

Zaratoughda

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Dripping with an automatic battery isn't recommended for the reason you already stated. It doesn't take much juice to get in there and ruin the circuitry or clog the vacuum. It's nearly impossible to fix it once juice gets in there, especially when the juice has a chance to dry.

I would only drip with manual batteries, period.

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
Dripping with an automatic battery isn't recommended for the reason you already stated. It doesn't take much juice to get in there and ruin the circuitry or clog the vacuum. It's nearly impossible to fix it once juice gets in there, especially when the juice has a chance to dry.

I would only drip with manual batteries, period.

She is correct here . Yes , you can drip with an auto battery , but you will , eventually trash your battery (by accident) So , if you don't mind buying new batteries , all the time . Go for it .

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
What about Joye 510 manual batteries - the same threading as 306 (though I do not know if they are the same polarity - it is likely they are since both are Joye and both the same threading, but to be safe buy a 510 charger cable)

The normal Joye 510 batteries are very short and 180mah (1.8x the charge of a Joy 306).

I also love the Joye 510 mega XL manual batteries - they have 3x the charge of the 306, 128mm long with a carto.

Joye 510 manuals are totally sealed metal on their threaded end. I usually buy them at LiteCigUSA.net

I actually use a standard resistance Joye 306 atty for dripping on my manual 510's. They have a big hole on the threaded end and the juice WILL drop out of you overfill them too much. I like the big hole because it makes them easy to blow out.

Your other option is to always have a spare 306 battery in case you kill one.

Last edited:

gheebee

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2011
North America
While I can definitely see them getting ruined if juice gets into them I drip on automatic batteries all the time anyway. I've been doing this for maybe 5 or 6 months and have not had any issues. In the beginning I'd occasionally put too much juice and leak a little but after I got used to dripping this was no longer an issue and I've yet to ruin a single battery. I don't know if there is any actual danger to doing this aside from ruining the battery, if there is I would not recommend this(!), but if you already have a bunch of automatic batteries or the batteries you want are only available as automatic and you want to drip then do so but do so carefully.
One thing I won't do is drip on an unsealed passthrough, the passthrough is connected to my computer and since I don't know what exactly will happen if too much juice gets into it I avoid this on the off chance that it will fry my motherboard or some other component.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Thanks for the response, WomanOfHeart!

But yeah, not sure much I can do with this one. I have Joye EGOs but was thinking of using the 306es as an alternative experience (e.g. more cigarette sized).

I have tried the Boge 306 2.8 ohms on them and that works but a weaker vape.

I can do 'direct-to-wick' dripping, which doesn't cause the problems you would see with drip tips because the battery/atomizer is horizontal when you drip (I have done this many, many times and no problems). But, in this case you have to pop off the mouthpiece, then drip, and then put the mouthpiece back on and, that defeats the whole purpose of something a bit easier to use like a cigarette.

I guess I could try 306 carts. I even have some blue wool that I could use as the filler. It's just that I started out with BLU and BLU and carts was a disaster for me. But, maybe carts will work better on the 306 what with the 2.3 ohm atty instead of the 3.3 ohm atty that was BLU/Volcano.

The Joye 306 (Janty mini-fogger) is interesting in that it is a cigarette sized ecig, but (I believe) can handle 510 level resistance atomizers and cartomizers. It's just that it is a bit of a challange to pull it all together.

Thanks again for the response!

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
306 carts look real cute but sort of suck. I even cut blue foam stuffing for mine but it still sometimes gives a faint burning plastic taste from the tiny juice cup. I use it occasionally. If it was not for the juice cup giving off that taste, I would use it more often because it's great as a fake carto for an extended test of a juice. With the atomizer and cart together it looks identical to a Boge carto.

How long is the 306? A standard Joye 510 manual with a Boge standard resistance carto is a smidge over 100mm so it's the length of a Marlboro 100. With a white battery and a tan Boge carto (NoteLiteVapor.us) it would look like a cigarette (though that is the last thing I want - who wants to look like a smoker once they have switched - I don't)

You did not like the cartos? If you fill very carefully, clean it up well and then do the following, it will not be the most filled carto but it will be much less likely to leak: stick a slim SOFT little bunch of tissue in the open end so it touches the stuffing, tilt the open end down, puff once hard into the threaded end. If you do it quickly it won't suck a ton of liquid out of the stuffing but it will get the excess plus any in the central air channel. I use 20% or less VG ratio juices and I would recommend 20% VG for you to get the bit of extra thickness to help hold the juice in the stuffing. ANy more VG and I can feel the drag degrade. This leaves the carto damp but not dripping wet.

Last edited:

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
dormouse...

I used to get out of my car when I parked in the Wal-Mart parking lot (and other places) and smoke a cig or two. Now, I have done that with my EGO and dripping but, it just seems a bit too bizarre for people to see that out in the open (no problem for me with that combo otherwise). Instead, if I use a 306, it just looks 'kinda' bizarre, like someone smoking a BLACK cigarette (lol... almost like I want the 'right' level of bizarreness here, not too much, not too little). Yeah, those that want to be even less bizarre can get the white 306... would look like someone smoking a cigarette. In either case, it doesn't really make you look like a 'hooka smoking caterpiller' that you might be seen as with an EGO (which is still way less bizarre than some of the stuff out there).

I've been using the Boge 306 LR (2.0 ohm) on my EGO much of the summer but seem to be going back to dripping now, this time using drip tips. I am not sure about this but I think this carto (the 2.0) might be too low res for the 306 to handle. What I saw on the Boge 2.0s was not to use on a battery rated less than 450 mah... and that means don't use on a 306 or 510. Instead, you need a 510 mega, an Ego, or bigger.

The 306 is about the same length as the 510 (I believe), but, it is thinner. Almost exactly the same as a 'long' cigarette. It is rated at 150 mah. I don't have any 510s but I have some Eluma's, which are about the same size as the 510, albeit they are automatics. Hmmmm... yeah, guess I could get 510 manuals and drip but... ug... I don't want to go that route (kinda in between ego and 306, and I don't want to start having to deal with 510 atomizers.. I use 306s attys/cartos on both the Ego and 306 batteries).

I guess I could try the 2.8 ohms on the 306 again. Maybe this time concentrate on just one EJ. Also could give the carts a try I guess, but would probably have the same experience you had.

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, this might all not work and I guess that means... I end up as the 'hooka smoking caterpiller'. Whatever.

Zaratoughda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread