Drip tip falling - Best way to tighten/glue them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Hi, been vaping for quite some years already and I have a very small problem, sometimes my drip tip fall and I lose it without my knowledge. It really doesn't happen often, about once a year or so but when it does, it's very annoying to vape without a drip tip, it's actually doable but not fun. Until I get back home and put another drip tip. Would be more annoying to carry 2 drip tips with me at all time.

I think with time, the o-ring loosen up thus causing the problem. In the end, I would like to make a one-piece with the top of my rda atomizer and the drip tip, thus solving the problem once and for all.

I bought several different o-rings to try to find a bigger one and force it down and it works, they are harder to remove (sku 9688292 from fasttech) but if the problem is the o-ring, with time, it will fall again. Not a permanent solution.

I've been thinking about glueing the drip tip and the atomizer together but if I vape a lot and the glue heats a bit, I don't want to vape that but maybe if I glue it from the outside, it won't be a problem? Or use some special type of glue resistant to heat? Or soldering? Or is there another solution I haven't considered?

I have about 15 of those RDA and about 25 drips tips, I just need to do it to one or two of them since I'm always reusing the same one.

20191009_211808.jpg
20191009_211838.jpg
20191009_211858.jpg

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
More permanent than one might think if it’s done right. Waxed string used to be a standard for this sort of stuff before silicon came around. It’s still used for pipe stems.
Dental floss makes sense. It’s waxed string. I might even suggest a particularly cheap waxed dental floss. That way you get more wax. The wax will stick the string together and make sort of a lump. It won’t be as good as a bigger o-ring but it has the advantage of being variable by number of wraps so you could use it to make the space behind the o-ring smaller and effectively make the o-ring you got bigger.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@bombastinator, I think that the material used and it's shore hardness will make a difference.
Not familiar with the concept of shore hardness. My memory was the softer and stickier waxes were preferred. Bees wax was used. They used to rub thread with bees wax to add strength before mercanterized cotton came along.

phill_nz

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2018
shore gauges use a needle to see how far it can penetrate
different scales = different sized springs in them
shore 00/A/D ( i used to use a D for my lab work )

to make a really tight drip tip i turned one out of wood and brought some harder synthetic O rings ( silicone or nitrile good )
tight as i needed, doesn't fall out when dropped
i didnt need to go further

i also swapped out most of the O rings on my standard drip tips with nitrile ones that were bigger .. very tight .. all work well

Last edited:

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Well, finally I made the decision to use some glue, specifically Ethyl cyanoacrylate, commonly known as krazy glue: Ethyl cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia

I've put some at the top only, on the outside. I really don't think there will be an issue whatsoever, the top barely heats, so the chance of vaporising the glue and me inhaling it is pretty much non-existant. And I didn't put a lot. And the wiki page says the resin soften at 150 celsius, it will never reach that temperature.

I must say, up to now, I'm more than happy, knowing that my drip tip will never ever fall. As a bonus, it's super easy now to remove the top by just pulling on the drip tip and I can also pull the top more often (since it's really easy) to check if I'm out of liquid.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK if I'd use crazy glue honestly. You seem to want a more permanent solution but you say it's the driptip getting loose, and you say it happens well you didn't say how often but "periodically."

Maybe just be proactive about it and replace the 0 ring every few months.

My issue with more "permanent" solutions is that it makes proper cleaning harder etc.

Good luck though with whatever you decide.

Anna

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Yes, I specifically said how many times it happens: "doesn't happen often, about once a year or so" :) It is rare but like I said, when it happens, it is very annoying.

Replacing the o-rings is a good idea, but again, not a permanent solution and the drip tip can still fall. Problem is that my ecig is in my pocket, when you sit/bend, it can apply pressure on the drip tip, thus making it fall even with perfectly good new o-rings.

I was wondering at first if cleaning would be an issue but after gluing both things, it's all good!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well, finally I made the decision to use some glue, specifically Ethyl cyanoacrylate, commonly known as krazy glue: Ethyl cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia

I've put some at the top only, on the outside. I really don't think there will be an issue whatsoever, the top barely heats, so the chance of vaporising the glue and me inhaling it is pretty much non-existant. And I didn't put a lot. And the wiki page says the resin soften at 150 celsius, it will never reach that temperature.

I must say, up to now, I'm more than happy, knowing that my drip tip will never ever fall. As a bonus, it's super easy now to remove the top by just pulling on the drip tip and I can also pull the top more often (since it's really easy) to check if I'm out of liquid.
I see numerous potential problems with this. For one, the”cyano” in cyanoacrilate is cyanide

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Crazy glue wont work because the area has gaps and its not a good gap filling glue and the area is under stress. I personally would try either getting bigger orings or even wrapping small rubber bands around it.
A mixture of CA and baking soda fills gaps well and is easily sanded to remove excess material.

Cheers
I

• Useful
Reactions: Opinionated

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I vape at only 13.5 watts, it will never heat enough to vaporize the glue. I'm so please with this new setup, it's working like a charm, I should have thoughts about this years ago!

Aquarium glue is a very good idea, I will keep this in mind if I ever make another one.
I would consider aquarium glue (which I believe is silicone) to be a somewhat less bad choice. As for the whole “my device will never heat up” thing I don’t see how that even makes sense. All devices heat up to similar temperatures. Smaller devices heat a smaller element, but it gets just as hot. Boil the juice hot.

the progression of this thread seems to have gone something like this:
“I have a problem, asking for advice”
advice is given
“I’m going to ignore all the advice and do this different thing that people said not to do”
warnings about that choice are given
“I think my solution is excellent because reasons”

I wash my hands of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread