Dragon Tube 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnmeboy

Jan 3, 2010
gf ny
Hi everyone,

I think this is my first post here if not my first thread. I just wanted to post and show you all the 18650 ecig mod I just built.

I wanted to make something to use all of these 18650 cells I have salvaged from dead laptop batteries that I have been collecting and I am planning to order my own tube mod and control unit but I did not want to wait because I was sent an ego cartomizer to try out but had no way to use it since my Ego pass through had died so I made this using the connector from it.

The tube is actually the Dragon Case for the Wicked Lasers Core 5mw green laser pointer. I have had it for about 6 years maybe but have not owned the laser in a very long time. I don't remember exactly what I was doing but I ended up figuring out that once I removed the felt lining from the case that an 18650 battery fit perfectly and all I really needed to do was find a way to attach the battery connector. Once the battery tube was assembled I also had to bore out one end to fit the 18650 through it because the end cap actually slides into the tube decreasing its inner diameter in that spot. One laptop battery I took apart had some smaller diameter batteries that actually fit slightly loose inside the tube but the springs hold it in place really well. So I can use a variety of lithium batteries in it as long as the length is the same or very close.

The case has a screw on cap so I found a spring from an old battery holder and soldered it into the cap so that part was done. The idea was to be able to remove the 18650 battery for charging and replacing. I did a rough measure of things and cut a section of the tube that ended up being much to short. Luckily there was enough left for a second try and realizing where I went wrong my second cut was perfect. The other end of the tube actually slid out once I broke the glue free. I was able to drill a hole and then press fit the battery connector. I took another spring and wired it to the battery connector and used some epoxy putty to hold it in place and glued the cap inside the other end of the tube. With springs on both ends the battery is always held firmly in place and does not rattle or bounce around.

I ended up frying the circuit in the battery connector but left it in place to make easy use of the button. I soldered some wires in bypassing the circuit all together. I lost the light up button, voltage regulation and low voltage cutoff. Not a big deal to me and some day I may be able to fix all of those issues. I figured if I were to remove and charge the battery every 3 days I will be fine and not over discharge it.

I did not really search the forum for 18650 mods but was thinking that maybe by posting this I could inspire others to create their own. You can get a handful of 18650 batteries from a dead laptop battery. Just rip it apart and there they are. You have to disconnect them all though which is fairly easy for any modder. You just check the voltage on each cell, if they are low like 1-2 volts then chances are they are garbage. It only takes one bad cell to prevent a laptop battery from holding a charge. You can also repair laptop batteries by finding and replacing that one bad cell. it is much cheaper than buying a new one but getting the battery apart without destroying the housing is difficult.

So here are some photos, let me know what you think and if you have any questions feels free to ask.

parts.jpg

complete.jpg

assembled.jpg

comparrisons.jpg

Joye 510, Joye Ecab, and what I like to call the Joey Dragon Tube 18650 since my name is Joe and Joye then Joey...lol.

dnmeboy

Jan 3, 2010
gf ny
A Kick module would work better for you, with a shorter battery or longer tube. Do you have a vent hole in this crafty looking mod?

Yes there are vent holes in it. There weren't any the first time I used it and realized how important it was and was surprise that I didn't add them before I finished assembling it. There are small holes drilled in the end cap to release any pressure in the event that battery goes nuclear. I quickly realized that without them I would basically be vaping a pipe bomb.

As for laptop batteries and 18650 batteries, all but one I have torn apart had 18650,s. One laptop battery had thinner batteries that are the same length as the 18650 so they will still work in the dragon tube.

I was under the impression that would receive email notifications when viewers replied to my thread. Maybe I have to enable them. And after looking through the forum some more I became a good deal less impressed with my battery mod.

dnmeboy

Jan 3, 2010
gf ny
No. Only some. I had a Mac book battery that had them. My only gripe would be that the batteries are not usually protected types. This is because there is a PCB inside the battery pack to "protect" it.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, you are correct. The protection would be done on the main circuit of the battery and there are temperature sensors in them as well. Although laptop batteries are a good source for free batteries for other projects I don't think people should be using them for ecigs given the proximity to your face. I have decided to order a couple protected cells specifically for my ecig projects and use the salvaged 18650s for my arduino projects and portable chargers where the protection is part of another circuit. I believe I can order the circuits and attach them to my batteries but I'm not certain of it.

I have taken any necessary safety precautions while doing this project as well as any other and do not recommend the use of unprotected batteries in ecigs but I do know that the ecab battery is not protected. I had emailed ovale asking wether the ecab can use the 600mah 10440 from trust fire and they stated that it was a protected battery and because of that it will be slightly longer and may cause to much compression on the cap spring causing it to pop out on its own. I'm assuming based on their response that the ecab 10440 is not protected. That's fine because the ecab has low voltage detection and shuts down when the battery gets to low but the protection is mostly important when charging so you do not over discharge the batteries causing them to explode so I'm not sure what to think about the ecab batteries. Clipping the spring down would enable to use of protected batteries and higher capacity at that.

The protection circuit simply protects the battery from over charging/discharging. Over discharging isn't a concern of mine given the fact that I have a box of 18650s and my charger will not over charge them.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
You can also repair laptop batteries by finding and replacing that one bad cell. it is much cheaper than buying a new one but getting the battery apart without destroying the housing is difficult.
That's not a good idea, always best to use all new fresh cells from the same batch.

Using a spring on the positive post of the cell is also not recommended.

I did not really search the forum for 18650 mods but was thinking that maybe by posting this I could inspire others to create their own.
And this is a good thing? :facepalm:

dnmeboy

Jan 3, 2010
gf ny
It felt more like i was being treated like I am stupid more so than being criticized. He simply made statements and offered nothing to prove what he was saying. Like I am supposed to just take his word for it because he has 3000+ posts on here. He offered nothing for me to learn from. Might have been my first post on here but that doesn't mean that I have not been working on electronics and building/modifying radio controlled aircraft, and their battery packs, arduino robots and other things for years. Many "dead" 510 and ego batteries are now flying my micro rc helicopters and other aircraft. There is no difference in the batteries inside of ecigs and the batteries that fly my rc aircraft. They are both lipos. I'm not really learning anything new here building ecigs. This is just the first I have shared on here. Sure some things haven't worked out the way I wanted but I've always done things the way I have and never had any issues. If I'm to be criticized and told something I did was wrong or dangerous I sure would like to know why. I'm not learning anything never being explained the reasons. I've been vaping since January 2010. I feel that I know enough about these things to safely make my own and from now on I will just use the site for reviews like I always have.

There is no way I have found to delete your account.

I haven't blown my teeth or lip off yet.

Last edited:

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
I haven't blown my teeth or lip off yet.

Does sound as though it's only a matter of time though LOL, but seriously not knowing the history of what's basically a lithium incendiary device, and putting it into action that close to your face is certainly dangerous.
Sorry just my opinion.

dnmeboy

Jan 3, 2010
gf ny
Does sound as though it's only a matter of time though LOL, but seriously not knowing the history of what's basically a lithium incendiary device, and putting it into action that close to your face is certainly dangerous.
Sorry just my opinion.

You do it every day when you use an ecig or a cell phone..Apparently you didn't read much else of what I said. I've been dealing with lithium batteries for a very long time in all of my rc vehicles and robotics projects.. I understand how volatile lithium batteries are and the problem with them occurs when they are overcharged or overdischarged and then charged again. What I made is no different than the joye mod tube. I really don't understand what the .... is so wrong with it. Big ....ing deal. It's got two springs. I can buy a mod tube online made by joyetech and it takes the same kind of battery. I'm not ....ing stupid. The ego batteries are lithium polymer cells encased in metal with no vents and the ecab uses non protected lithium ion cells so really what I made is no more dangerous or different than using an ego or an ecab. I don't need to be told of the risks by anyone here because I ready know all about them. All I did was create a larger battery as many others here have done. Only difference Is that I'm being treated like I'm stupid. Delete my account admins along with this thread. I'm done here.

Apparently there are plenty of modders on this forum so go get on their ... because there's nothing wrong with what I have made. It's not the first one and it certainly won't be last. Since 2010 I've not had a single explosion, in fact I've NEVER had a battery explode in anything I've ever built. I know the history of lithium batteries and I know the precautions to take, I use a proper charger, it even has polarity detection, if I were that stupid I could plug my battery in backwards and it would still charge without exploding. It has a circuit designed to detect the voltage of the battery and Shut off when it's done charging, I test the voltage of all of my lithium batteries before during and after use. If I find a battery that has been over charged or over discharged I render them inert and dispose of them.

I share one quick ecig I threw together because I thought it looked cool and I'm getting .... for it so I won't be using this forum any longer. I'd like my account deleted because I don't want my email address associated with it anymore. I understand I can simply stop using the account but I want it closed.

If its such a big deal the this section of the forum should not even exist. It's for posting mods so I did that.

I haven't had any problems in the last 4 years of using and making ecigs so I seriously doubt I'm going to start having them now.

So F...U...C...K this.

Ban me. Please!

Last edited:

bzmotoninja83

ECF Live Chat Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
Hopewell, Va
Wow dude,

Just because someone offers there constructive criticism or points you in aa direction of battery safety, like they would do anyone else, including myself, doesn't give any reason or concourse for backlash like this. Also, maybe if you had put this info of you'd electronic expertise of modding past, in the first post, the vets here wouldn't have been so fast to point the finger and say"THATS NOT SAFE"

So, if you're done ranting and trying to hide your F words so the system doesn't remove them, I'd like to see more stuff you build.

If not, then, good bye.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread