Doing something wrong with my atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebt

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Hi all

Happy vaper here. But doing something wrong on atomizer maintenance.

I've had 3 atomizers die on me; and I think it's the way I'm cleaning them that is causing this. This is what I do:

1) Soak them in hot (not boiling) water with a bit of lemon juice, for an hour or so;
2) Blow out water
3) Leave them to dry on a piece of cardboard on top of a radiator for a few hours
4) Plug a mouthpiece back into them and start vaping.

Now after (4) the atomizers have all died within a few minutes. There is something I'm doing wrong here. It's to do with the physics of how atomizers work: which I don't know! I don't understand what it is about how they operate that can make it possible for me to clean them, but also to get them working again.

Something to do with the water (rust?), or the way I'm bringing them back into service (juice doesn't wick onto them resulting in overheating?), or possibly water left "in the system" resulting in shortcircuits?

Some helpful people here have mentioned the centre contact being pushed in so that it no longer makes contact with the battery, but that's not the problem. I measure these atomizers with a multimeter when they die like this and I get an extremely high or infinite ohm reading.

CAn anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

thanks! :vapor:

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I only clean my attys when they don't seem to be working well....and most last weeks before that happens. when I do clean them I used distilled water and a denture cleaning tablet. this will often improve them, and if not I discard them.....I also let them dry several days, blow them out after cleaning and after drying a few days. then I do as the.vapyre suggests.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
High ohms means they have reached the end of their life span - the coil wire is just spent. If they are reaching the end of their life span too soon...? Can't tell based on what you have said. If what you mean by infinite ohms is a shorted reading - no resistance at all - something is causing the coil to collapse and short out. No reading at all - an open coil - means the coil is popped, most likely from normal heating while in use or overheating during a dry burn. It happens.

Water in there wouldn't be the cause of the problem. If an atty couldn't handle liquid we also couldn't vape anything at all. Of course you want to blow any water out of it that you can - because vaping h2o is kinda pointless. But getting them bone dry before, ummm..., getting them wet again with nic liquids is pointless.

How old are these attys when you run into a problem? And do you know what brand they are?

RocketRod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
I would suspect the lemon juice (acidic) as being your issue. I still have my all original atty's that I simply run under hot tap water to clean, even between testing different flavors. I blow them out the best I can, add juice and vape. Of course there is no doubt mine are made in the same place, maybe not the same factory, but as I've read many issues with all e-cig parts, Quality Control is not a high priority. Sorry you are having issues here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread