• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Do you run into on-ups menship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I made an eye appt. today and explained it was part of the diabetes yearly routine. She asks if I have had any unusal syntoms. I told her my eyesight has become blurry over the last few months. It's like somebody smeared vasaline on my eyes. She starts telling me how her mother's cataracts became so bad they couldn't see her retina..on and on. This is the appt. person! She works at an eye Dr.s office and she didn't notice her mom's cararacts?

What is it about one-ups manship?

I have heard things like, My son's diabetes is much worse then yours!..uh? how would she know how bad my diabetes is? Not that it's THAT bad.
Or I almost died from. :p..insert surgery here
My cousin's was the size of a grapefruit :shock:..insert tumor here.

Why do people want thier's or a cousin's or I once knew a guy's illness to top yours? I mean I choose not to have ..fill in the blank..at all!

Has this happened to you?

bigeyes

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2009
Yup. My mother and my husband are much sicker than me. :rolleyes:

My husband does have diabetes, but his illness does not trump mine, nor does it make me any less ill than I am, yk? His doesn't prevent him from being able to think straight some days from his head pounding so hard a bullet seems like a reasonable option. His illness doesn't leave him hanging out by the toilet all day from uncontrollable vomiting.

It just isn't the same. Mine has made me virtually unemployable. He can control his with drugs and diet.

I don't even talk to strangers about it in the waiting room. I could become violent. :lol:

Ladycats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Western North Carolina
Mary Kay the best way to take care of big-mouths in waiting rooms..... When they ask what you are their for look them squarely in the eye and tell them they need to run more tests that their not sure what it is. They THINK its not contagious. Then cough into your hand. You can sit nice and alone while you wait.

LOL mouse you are toooooooooooooooooo funny !!!! :D

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I have resorted to scratching like I had chicken pox...lol
I take a book, that's good cover. My problem is that I have never met a stranger. I am friendly and I seem to project that. That's where the book comes in handy..or Mike, he looks like he will bite your head off if you get too close. Not really, he just has a bit of the old Sgt. about him. :cool:

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Catholic One-Upmanship

Four Catholic mothers are sitting around bragging about their sons.

The first mother says, "My son is a monsignor, and when he walks in the room, people greet him by saying 'Good morning, monsignor'."

The second mother says, "Well, my son is a Bishop, and people greet him by saying 'Good morning, your Grace'."

The third mother says, "Well, my son is a Cardinal, and people greet him by saying 'Good morning, your Eminence"."

The three women look over at the fourth, knowing her son hadn't joined the priesthood, and wondering how she might try to top them.

After a moment the fourth mother says, "My son is six feet, ten inches tall and is 300 pounds of pure muscle. When he walks in the room, people greet him by saying 'Oh... my... God!"

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Happened to me too. Right after a complete hysterectomy and bowel resection, was told by surgeon to make an appointment with the Gynecologist. When I came in she said: "Why are you here?" My mouth fell open. Totally made me speechless. Guess I figured the two doctors may have exchanged notes, my record was on her clipboard. I immediately felt threatened by her.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Kate, I was being rolled into surgery and a nurse stopped me to ask why I was there! I lost it..I mean if they didn't know, I could have lost an arm or leg by accident. After stuggling with the nurses to get away..they explained that they just wanted me to verify why I was there..so there wouldn't be a mistake. I think the big X on my stomach (That I put there)would have been a dead givaway....ummm
That was too scary for me. They should have a better way of asking.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread