Do regulated mods need Heavy hitters (low resistance) batteries?

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
Hey guys

Quick question gonna grab some fresh cells but i wonder tho can regulated mods benefit from heavy hitting batteries?
Or nah and usually just best for mechs and you wanna aim for capacity instead?
I think since you set your own watts in regulated mods you just need capacity right?
If so ill leave the 20S,30T for the mechs and just look at some what higher capacity with plenty of amps ofc still

But wanted to double check we all want the best batteries lol

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
It depends on the wattage just like mechs. 3 times the amps will give you the wattage of the battery. Regulated mods will just shutdown (or automatically drop the wattage) if you try to push the battery harder than it is able. A two cell reg mod is 6 times amps. And a three cell reg mod is 9 times the amps.

Last edited:

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey guys

Quick question gonna grab some fresh cells but i wonder tho can regulated mods benefit from heavy hitting batteries?
    Or nah and usually just best for mechs and you wanna aim for capacity instead?
    I think since you set your own watts in regulated mods you just need capacity right?
    If so ill leave the 20S,30T for the mechs and just look at some what higher capacity with plenty of amps ofc still

But wanted to double check we all want the best batteries lol
    I’m late to this party but, yes, your cell choice can fundamentally affect your vaping experience no matter what type of device is used. You need to choose a cell that fits the way you vape. A 5A-rated ultra-high capacity cell can run for a long time at 10W-15W (max) but will have huge voltage sag and not run for long at all at higher power levels. Capacity is only a little hint at how long a cell will run. My Ratings and Performance tables (in my blog) tell you how different cells actually compare when being used.

So, yes, regulated mods can benefit from higher current rated cells if running at moderate to higher power levels. This keeps the cell voltage sag from forcing the mod to stop or lower the power setting early.

The P26A, P28A, P42A are your best choices from about 15W to 75W. Above that you can try the P45B, 30T, and 20S. Below that you can try the MJ1, NCR18650GA, 50S, BAK, and a couple others (check my Recommended Batteries tables).

Users who are viewing this thread