DNA 30 and wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey now. Love the wealth of knowledge available here. I was reading a post earlier about the benefits and drawbacks of a regulated device like the dna 30 chip. I'm currently vaping with a dual coil build at about .50 ohms on a mechanical mod. This works out to be with a fresh battery at 4.2 volts about 35 watts of power, correct? But, once the resistance of my coil exceeds .9 ohms of resistance the watts drop to about 17. So my question would be, wouldn't a regulated device running a coil of higher resistance be able to produce more power to the coil? At 30 watts, how would the vape change in terms a vapor production and heat. Of course, lots of folks have seen guys like riptrippers blowing clouds with 1.8 ohm single coil builds at 30 watts. I'd prefer to have the safety and consitancy of a regulated device but don't want to sacrifice vapor production. I'm not a cloud chaser but I like dense vapor, a slightly warm vape and a larger exhale. Thanks for your time. Vape on!

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
A DNA 30 will do 30 watts on a resistance between .5 and 3 ohms. The way it dos this is by varying the voltage. It should not change much because watts are watts. There may be some unmeasurable change because the Mech uses DC and most VW's use pulse width modulation. I can't tell the difference. The nice thing about a VW is that you will have the same wattage when you start until the end when your atty shuts off due to low voltage.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hey now. Love the wealth of knowledge available here. I was reading a post earlier about the benefits and drawbacks of a regulated device like the DNA 30 chip. I'm currently vaping with a dual coil build at about .50 ohms on a mechanical mod. This works out to be with a fresh battery at 4.2 volts about 35 watts of power, correct?

It will be around 29 watts with good batteries due to voltage sag under load, but it's up there ;).

But, once the resistance of my coil exceeds .9 ohms of resistance the watts drop to about 17.

Correct. Raise the resistance and the power (watts) drops, lower it and it goes up. In a mechanical mod, if you lower the resistance past what the battery can handle, the battery starts to heat up which is not safe. Get that battery hot enough and it will vent. A regulated mod will limit the power output to what is safe for the mod which also protects the battery.

So my question would be, wouldn't a regulated device running a coil of higher resistance be able to produce more power to the coil? At 30 watts, how would the vape change in terms a vapor production and heat. Of course, lots of folks have seen guys like riptrippers blowing clouds with 1.8 ohm single coil builds at 30 watts.

Power to the coil is measured in watts. A regulated mod with a DNA30 chip in it can put out 30 watts to any coil in its range of acceptable resistance. In a mechanical mod, you can put in a coil with a 0.1 ohm resistance and it will run at around 125 watts until the battery vents. And the battery will vent in this situation!

On the subject of higher resistance coils at higher power, I don't think I have ever seen anyone including Rip Trippers run a 1.8 ohm or higher coil at 30 watts. I suspect that coil would top out at around 18 watts if it is in an atty set up really well for high power. There are a few other atty variables involved, one important one is air flow. Battery safety concerns are also not the only ones. A lungful of burnt hit at 30 watts is painful enough that you will never forget it! Don't ask me how I know that :facepalm:

The problem as I understand it is the power density per coil surface area. Thinner wire with the same resistance as thicker wire, so shorter, has less surface area. 30 watts is a certain amount of heat, or btu. Apply that btu to more surface area (thicker, longer coil) and each unit of surface area will have less heat to get rid of by vaporizing juice. More surface area makes for a cooler vape with less chance of the coil running dry and burning juice.

It's hard to get a 1.8 ohm coil running well with 28 gauge (thick) wire. It's hard to get a 0.5 ohm coil running well with 32 gauge (thin) wire.

You can easily run a ~0.8 ohm, 27 gauge coil at around 30 watts without burning juice.

There are regulated mods out there that will do the power easily. If you like a higher power vape, I suggest you take a look at them. I'm well set up with mechanical mods, but if I were starting out now, I would probably go the regulated route. IMO a regulated mod that supports ~50 watts, run at 15 - 25 watts will hardly be breathing hard and will last a long time. It also has room for the occasional small short without throwing a fit or self destruct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread