• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

DIY mixing - using 36mg/ml base to make 24mg/ml juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky604

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2010
Surrey, BC
I've had a few people ask me about mixing; thought I'd post what I sent them just in case it's of interest. I'd love to see how other people go about doing their mixing. This is an edited PM I sent:

Here's what I do when I make the juice I like to use - this is so you can modify what I do, to use with your own recipes, or ones out of the Recipes forum:

I got lucky my first time out and found a juice recipe i like enough to be my all-day vape - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/59517-yellow-cake-batter.html - this message will be about how I make myself a batch of this stuff. You may like it, or it might be gross, but at least it'll be a run-through of how to do DIY.

You'll need a copy of Scubatdan's E-juice Calculator - its an Excel spreadsheet, found in this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-calculator-added-quantity-calculations.html

When I want to make a 30ml bottle of Cake Batter juice, I go get a bottle of 36mg PG base that I've premixed. I keep them in the freezer of the bar fridge downstairs, freezing doesn't seem to hurt it any, there's no flavour in it yet to get spoiled. It won't actually freeze either, you don't have to worry about it shattering bottles.

I like 24mg/ml juice, so I fire up the Excel spreadsheet and click the PG Calculator tab at the bottom. In Section 5 of the spreadsheet, it asks "What would be the quantities needed to make a specified mg % and quantity based off two nic %s". In the Target eJuice mix desired section I enter that I want to end up with 30ml of 24mg juice. For first mg% nic liquid, I enter 36, since I'm mixing 36mg down. For second mg% nic liquid, I enter 0. This is how much PG/VG and flavouring I need to add.

The calculator tells me I'll need 20ml of 36mg base, and 10ml of PG/flavourings.

The Cake batter recipe in the link above calls for 5 drops of Capella vanilla custard flavour and 3 drops of Capella caramel flavour, then fill with base to make a 3ml batch. I'm making 30ml so I multiply each of these by 10.

I drop 50 drops of vanilla custard and 30 drops of caramel into my syringe and measure how much volume it takes up. It took up 1.75ml last time - so 1.75ml of my mix is flavouring. This leaves me 8.25ml of PG that I need to add to the flavourings to bring the total non-nic part up to 10ml. This is if you're making an all PG mix - if you like you can use VG instead here (this is what I do myself, VG gives more fluffy vapour)

Now I know what I need to add to get my juice - 20ml of 36mg base, 1.75ml of flavouring, and 8.25ml of VG/PG. Squirt all this into a bottle with the syringe, cap it and give it a good shake - now you've got 24mg/ml flavoured liquid that you can vape with! If you let it sit for a bit to 'steep' then it gets tastier, although you can vape it right away too.

If you add more flavouring (some batches I add more flavour, like 65 drops of vanilla custard, 39 drops of caramel), you have to decrease the amount of VG or PG that you're adding so that the proportion of nic juice to non-nic juice stays the same. If you don't keep the proportion balanced then you end up with juice that's weaker than 24mg/ml. You can use Section 4 of the calculator to calculate what strength you'd end up with.. if you doubled the flavour, adding 3.75ml of it for instance, and still added 8.25ml of PG/VG, then you'd have a ratio of 20ml 36mg to 12ml 0mg - which gives you 32ml of 22.5mg/ml juice. Not bad, but it's not the 24mg/ml strength that you wanted. It's important to make sure you're using the right measurements, or you'll end up with a juice of different strength than expected.

Be careful with the nic juice, don't get it on your skin, eyes, or in your mouth or nose. Clean up any spills right away with water, and don't keep your stuff where kids or pets can get at it. You don't want the family dog eating a bottle of this stuff. If you spill any on you, clean it off right away with lots of running water and soap.

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
what helped me do my mixing , weather im on the go or at home. was an app released by TotalyWicked for my android phone. it has some flavours that you can also experiment with recipe breakdowns. you can also catalog and save your own. what i like about it is that it has a PG/VG/PEG mix percentage option. to let you dial in what you like. AND it saves your last mix setup.

i always have my phone on me, but i am never always infront of a PC, nor do i want to be. so try it out if you have an android phone. or if your an iphone user, im sure they have something out there for ya. cant say much for other OS based phones.

hope this helped.

sparky604

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2010
Surrey, BC
I think if you are starting to DIY, you should do a bit of homework and work out the calculations yourself at least once. The calculators are great and everything, but you’re the one inhaling the stuff so you should at least brush up on your fractions. Never assume.

You're right about the calculations - I do them as ratios and then cross-multiply. Here's a sample one for anyone that's interested:

36mg strength : 30ml total batch wanted
24mg strength : ?? ml nic base needed

24*30 / 36 = ?? (20ml) - 20ml being the amount of nic base to use. 30-20 = 10ml, amount of non-nic base to add to dilute the mix to the desired strength.

Making 12mg vapable stuff would be:

36mg strength : 30ml wanted
12mg strength : ??ml needed

12*30 / 36 = ?? (10ml) -- add 10ml of 36mg nic juice, and 20ml of 0mg juice and flavourings, to make 30ml of 12mg nic base.

Calculator is good to double-check with.

Chime: Switched has a calc? That's great - do you know where I can find a link to it?

BuzzKilla: Palm Pre user here, we don't have any sweet e-juice apps yet :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread