DIY flavor percentages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exodus454

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
Western Connecticut
So most flavor concentrates you see sold online say something to the effect of "add 5%" or something like that, which seems really low to me. All the DIY batches I end up mixing turn out having somewhere in the range of 30-40% total flavoring, sometimes which will be of one flavor. I have been using LorAnn's, if that makes any difference.

Is that a bad thing to be using so much flavoring? It does present the issue of cutting down the VG ratio substantially, but I can't really stand liquid that tastes like nothing. Most of the time, 5% flavoring doesn't even cut through the natural sweetness of the VG base.

What total flavoring percentages are you all running most of the time?

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I've only had a couple of Lorann's, and they were a bit weak, but 30-40% seems far above what would generally be used.

I use mostly:

The Flavor Apprentice - Most of these average around 8-16% for my liking, with a few exceptions that only need around 1% or less.

Flavour Art - I like most of the ones I have of this brand at 6-12%. These seem to be fairly consistent in strength.

Capellas - Also pretty consistent, I like most of these at 12-20%.

Tasty Puff - These all seem to be alcohol-based, and very strong. Of the 5 I have, the flavors are pretty good, and only need to be mixed at 2-5% for my liking.

I know that there are many that mix stronger than I usually do, and my usage would usually fall on the lower end of those estimates, but I make juice for others, and some of them like the higher end.

exodus454

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
Western Connecticut
The only stuff I've found so far that can be mixed at ~5% would be any of the menthols. I did just get some Flavor Apprentice flavors though, so I guess we'll see how it goes with those.

Maybe I'm crazy, but most e-juice seem to not really taste like much. It's more of a "oh, this has a hint of this flavor", rather than being delicious.

So much PG-based flavor has been devastating on viscosity though.

18SixFifty

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Michigan
I am used to using around 10% flavoring and that of course varies depending on the flavor. I tried lorann's and it never worked for me at all.

This is a site that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention but has always been great to me. You can ask him for just about anything and he will do it custom order just for you.

USA Made Vapor Renu : Electronic Cigarettes Refill Cartridges : Candy Flavorings : E Cig Liquid Nicotine : Cartomizer Refills : Menthol E-Liquid : Flavoring Oils : E Cigarette Refills

Wyzen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Harper Woods MI
I am used to using around 10% flavoring and that of course varies depending on the flavor. I tried lorann's and it never worked for me at all.

This is a site that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention but has always been great to me. You can ask him for just about anything and he will do it custom order just for you.

USA Made Vapor Renu : Electronic Cigarettes Refill Cartridges : Candy Flavorings : E Cig Liquid Nicotine : Cartomizer Refills : Menthol E-Liquid : Flavoring Oils : E Cigarette Refills

Goodness, I have rarely ever seen such a list, but NO WAFFLE? Im SHOCKED! Or french toast!

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I would not be at all comfortable using 30-40% of any flavoring. Flavoring is the one thing that we know next to nothing about when it comes to inhalation. IMO the lower you are able to keep the flavoring, the better off you will be. That is JMO of course but if I had to use 30-40% of a flavor, I would try another brand.

As far as what % to use, I am easily able to guesstimate where I should start just by how the flavor smells (stronger=less weaker = more) . I know that would not work for everyone but it has worked well for me over the last 2 plus years. DIY ejuice really does not have to be all that complicated to make something that you enjoy. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread