DIY DNA box mod using 2 x parallel 18350 or 16340s

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviestar

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am a long time lurker of these forums :)

I am hoping to build my own dna 20 or ideally 30 box mod. I would like it to be as small as possible, and use the USB charging chip (its for working at the computer).

From the DNA specs, the 30W version needs a minimum 12V (20W = 7V) continuous discharge current. From my understanding, using 2 x Efest 18350 batteries in parallel will double the 'CDC' from 6.4 to 12.8 V - just enough for both chips.

So why are no people using this combination? Or at least not showing it online?

I realise the battery wouldn't last very long at 30W, but that's not a big deal if the USB charger rated at 0.5V can keep up. Does anyone have an experience of this?

If I push the batteries too hard, am I at risk of explosions and other scary stuff?

Thanks in advance for any help

PinkPanter

Jun 21, 2014
The Netherlands
I realise the battery wouldn't last very long at 30W, but that's not a big deal if the USB charger rated at 0.5V can keep up. Does anyone have an experience of this?

If I push the batteries too hard, am I at risk of explosions and other scary stuff?

Hello there and welcome!

30W is a lot, the Mah's are not just added that quick with 0.5A adapter unless you want to take a draw just once in the 10-15min, 0.5A asking already 2.5W from a USB port, it's correct we not need that much for charging, but in your case it have to be some more for to let it run smooth, the batteries you mentioned do need some 1A speed charging, if you have an updated USB port 2.0 or USB port 3.0, it's possible, anything lower will not work out well if not burn the motherboard.
There are wall chargers with way more power, 2.1A with more then 15W power for example, I take that one with me at vacation for example.

I'm not very technical but this is what I know.

Just be-careful with this stuff.

Last edited:

daviestar

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Couldn't you get something similar with a single 18650 mod? It's generally safer to use only one battery in a mod, rather then 2. So, if you can achieve something similar with a single battery rather then with 2 batteries, that could explain why there aren't any 18350 box mods.

I have read about the risks with 2+ batteries, and I've seen the power some 18650s have! but I'm trying to avoid the size.

look at the billet box mod, it use that battery combination, but only go uo to 4.something volts.

Why dont you use a small 1200mah LiPo like the one in the vapor shark ?

Yeah the billet box is what lead me to do some more research :) That, plus the vaporshark and Hana mini.

I read the LiPo batteries are quite volatile if dropped?

nice. any pics of ideas or anything? want to see what something like this could look like.

My idea is to make something similar to a microstick, with 16mm atomiser housing built in. No serious 3d mock ups yet, I'm actually on holiday just now!

daviestar

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
United Kingdom
30W is a lot, the Mah's are not just added that quick with 0.5A adapter unless you want to take a draw just once in the 10-15min, 0.5A asking already 2.5W from a USB port, it's correct we not need that much for charging, but in your case it have to be some more for to let it run smooth, the batteries you mentioned do need some 1A speed charging, if you have an updated USB port 2.0 or USB port 3.0, it's possible, anything lower will not work out well if not burn the motherboard.
There are wall chargers with way more power, 2.1A with more then 15W power for example, I take that one with me at vacation for example.

I'd be using the USB charging chip Evolv make, who make the DNA chips. As far as I know they only have this 0.5A one, which I assume the vaporshark and Hana mods use.

daviestar

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Hey again, getting a little obsessed and have done some more research.

Hana Modz use a proprietary LiPo battery rated 1200mah/20C they had made for them.

Vaporshark uses an off the shelf 1200mah/15C LiPo:

(I had references for this stuff but the forum doesn't allow me to post links)

This off the shelf one would work fine, but my issue is its practically the same size as an 18650 at 58 x 15mm.

Anyone know of a 15C around 1200mah, which is more cube shaped? ie. closer to 35-40mm tall but fatter and/or deeper?

Otherwise, I'm back to the idea of 2 x 18350 in parallel. Am I right to assume the combined C level would be 16C?

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Yes, installing 2 batteries doubles each of the rated mah and c rating. There is less risk in hooking 2 batteries in parallel than in series. The Billet Box uses batteries in series with a pull down circuit. The DNA and the like use a boost circuit. It draws excess amps to convert to output. Also, when charging batteries in parallel, it is best to use the higher amp charge rating times 2. Lithium batteries like hotter charges. By supplying the parallel batteries with .5 amp, the charge time is just a little longer than forever and decreases the battery's ability to charge fully (less vape time) over a shorter period of time.

I say do it, but invest in a better charger. Evolv's charging board can be replaced with a lower cost, better performing alternative.

CaptainTripps107

Jul 16, 2014
Mass
in parallel it would still only give 3.7 (4.2 fully charged) just give more amperage. in series it would double the voltage
Hello all,

I am a long time lurker of these forums :)

I am hoping to build my own DNA 20 or ideally 30 box mod. I would like it to be as small as possible, and use the USB charging chip (its for working at the computer).

From the DNA specs, the 30W version needs a minimum 12V (20W = 7V) continuous discharge current. From my understanding, using 2 x Efest 18350 batteries in parallel will double the 'CDC' from 6.4 to 12.8 V - just enough for both chips.

So why are no people using this combination? Or at least not showing it online?

CaptainTripps107

Jul 16, 2014
Mass
Hey again, getting a little obsessed and have done some more research.

Hana Modz use a proprietary LiPo battery rated 1200mah/20C they had made for them.

Vaporshark uses an off the shelf 1200mah/15C LiPo:

(I had references for this stuff but the forum doesn't allow me to post links)

This off the shelf one would work fine, but my issue is its practically the same size as an 18650 at 58 x 15mm.

Anyone know of a 15C around 1200mah, which is more cube shaped? ie. closer to 35-40mm tall but fatter and/or deeper?

Otherwise, I'm back to the idea of 2 x 18350 in parallel. Am I right to assume the combined C level would be 16C?

I have had awesome results using these and you can get them from 130mah up to 6000mah in quite a few different sizes. also all of them are going to be 20c to 200c rated. go to hobbyking.com and look at batteries go for the turnigy nano spec batts

daviestar

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
United Kingdom
I have had awesome results using these and you can get them from 130mah up to 6000mah in quite a few different sizes. also all of them are going to be 20c to 200c rated. go to hobbyking.com and look at batteries go for the turnigy nano spec batts

Yep I looked through the whole range on hobbyking :)

So would you guys recommend using these lower mah LiPo's in parallel rather than 18350s in series?

I read LiPo's can fail/blow up when dropped.. is this a legitimate concern?

daviestar

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
United Kingdom

Ok, I think I'm gonna try 3 x 650mah Turnigy Lipo's in parallel. The pack should be about 45 x 45 x 15mm which is pretty small!

I've just seen the sx350 chip. For the design in my head, the screen might be a better fit. What do you guys think of it?

PinkPanter

Jun 21, 2014
The Netherlands
I'd be using the USB charging chip Evolv make, who make the DNA chips. As far as I know they only have this 0.5A one, which I assume the vaporshark and Hana mods use.

Ok, If they say you only need 0.5A, then it will be fine, I'am looking for the Hana myself at the moment, this I could find: Input voltage/current: 3.2-4.3V/1.5-7A... 1.5A at least, I needed to know this bc I gonna put it together with a solar power box :) tested 18000mah :laugh:

Last edited:

daviestar

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Ok, If they say you only need 0.5A, then it will be fine, I'am looking for the Hana myself at the moment, this I could find: Input voltage/current: 3.2-4.3V/1.5-7A... 1.5A at least, I needed to know this bc I gonna put it together with a solar power box :) tested 18000mah :laugh:

Hmm that's really interesting. I wonder if Hana connect their USB chip direct to the batteries? I guess the DNA screen would not be able to indicate charging if they did that though?

Wow, solar powered mod?! Instinctively I'd worry about the heat and your batteries if it's all in one box.. those solar panels get really, really hot :)

daviestar

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Here's an 18650 body that will maybe hit the spot. It is taller than the dimensions of the box you propose, but there's a cradle for the tank that should make it quite pocket friendly.

V7 - "Smooth" Body - NEW 510 by jonniemac on Shapeways

Amazing! Thanks for the link. That's is indeed really close to what I'm thinking, just a bit taller than what I'm after.

I've been looking into 3d printing for this, I think with the small space it's really my only option as I can get round the engineering constraints of milling and effectively 'drill round corners'.

I am a programmer by trade and have some 3d software experience so that route is an obvious one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread