Dissecting an ANTZ News Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejuiceconnoisseur

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Melbourne, FL
[h=2]Dissecting an ANTZ News Article[/h] Filed under: Miscellaneous Vaping News — 3 Comments
September 8, 2013

I picked a shark on purpose.

Let’s take a typical, fear-peddling pro-ANTZ, anti-E-cigarette news story and take it apart piece by piece, just for kicks. I wonder if we can reach 20 logical fallacies and/or journalistic manipulation techniques in one short e-zine article. The article I’ve chosen for this little experiment is called “Doctors caution use of e-cigarettes, saying vaping is worse than smoking the real thing” written for theindychannel.com by Linda Hurtado:

TAMPA, Fla. – Touted as a safer alternative to traditional smoking, electronic cigarettes are supposed to give smokers their nicotine fix without the cancer-causing side effects of tobacco. [Terms such as "Touted as a..." and "Supposed to..." are more often than not used by news journalists to highlight the opposite scenario. Consider the sentence "The Toyota Prius is touted as an environmentally friendly automobile which is supposed to cut down on air pollution." If you saw this at the opening to a news article, you'd probably assume that the rest of the article was going to present something negative about the environmental effects of Priuses.]

But some have serious concerns that the battery-operated vaping devices may actually pose more dangers to users. [This is a classic fallacy of insufficient statistics, bandwagon argument, and/or hasty induction. "Some" is a purposefully vague word. Actually, because of Americans' tendency to root for the "underdog" in any contest... the word "some" can actually convince people instantaneously that those "some" must be right in the face of innumerable opposite-position-holders. The rational response to a vague statement like this is to immediately ask, "Who?"]

Gwynne Chesher lives in Florida, where smoking in most public places was banned more than eight years ago. She’s been smoking for more than 40 years. [The author is really reaching to do some cherry picking here. Essentially, we're going to use a single example in order to prove... (Click here to read the rest of my article.)

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Nice. Is that true that some used to use ethelene glycol? I'd never heard that. I thought that the diethylene glycol was presumed to be a contaminant of the PG. Interesting.

Another one I hate is the term "nicotine laced". It sounds so... Seedy. Like something you'd do to someone's drink if you wanted to do illegal things to them while they were passed out.

Also, "experts say", with no mention of who those experts are or what their qualifications are, and no mention that other "experts" disagree. Those that disagree are usually called something like "electronic cigarette proponents".

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Good dissection, ejuice! This article is a good example of what I call the ANTZs' "sly innuendo." When you cut through the "may be"s and the "potentially"s (and will we ever forget the MD's eloquent "No way! You can’t use those!"?) and the scary references to "toxic chemicals," the article actually says nothing definitively (and accurately) related to any dangers of ecigs!

I hope ECFers will take the time to read your entire post. :thumbs:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I liked this analogy:

Next, to suggest that E-cigarettes "may actually be more harmful than traditional cigarettes" is logically equivalent to suggesting that flight simulators may actually be more likely to fall out of the sky and crash than traditional aircraft.

Or to suggest that someone who drank 6 root beers is more likely to get into an auto accident than the guy who drank 6 Budweisers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread