Disclaimer For New Vapers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveTheKurd45

Verified Member
Feb 19, 2013
Valdosta, Ga
Just wanted to share a story I had on my experience yesterday.

So I was at my local Vape shop, and I was chilling with the owner trying to work on clone recipes. (And come up with our own lol). And Business was dead for the whole 2 hours I was there until about 3:15pm.

This lady walked in with a stingray clone, saying it had just gotten really hot and she twisteit and flames were shooting off the battery.

SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING. (But we did).

She said she forgot to lock it, and we both explained to her was was going on, what happened, and what she can do to prevent that, like NOT DRIPPING UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING WITH BATTERY SAFETY AND KNOWING HO TO USE YOUR FULL MECHANICAL mod!!!!!!

She also added, "Charles, I know you sell just the bottom(mod with no deck) here for 44.00, but I got this on EBAY for $40 with the top! Its awesome"
(Guys, don;t just go buy stuff off ebay if you dont know what your buying... This girl was clueless to what she was doing, and I ish she was still using an Ego-T, not even a Twist or a VV)

Look guys, if you don't want to put in the time and efort to learn how to use these machines properly, and vent batteries, and make pipe bombs, find a new hobby.

For those of us who learn, build, test, retest, double check, triple check, THEN Vape, Keep on vaping!!!!!

FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN ON THIS!

Wow, that is some scary ..... I would forgot to lock the bottom button sometimes and then relaize it when I had a burning feeling on my leg. When I worked at a vape shop, I was shocked at how many would come in never vaping or smoking and be like I wanna blow big clouds like a dragon. I would usually try to get them with a simple setup before going into anything crazy like that. If they could not be persuaded usually my manager would take the time and take to them about the mech mods, batteries, and etc safety. Then once they found out the price they go with something simple. haha

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING. (But we did).

[...] we both explained to her was was going on, what happened, and what she can do to prevent that, like NOT DRIPPING UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING WITH BATTERY SAFETY

Well? Don't just hide behind your thick vapor-cloud of elitism...drop some juicy knowledge on us noobs! Anyone can say "Don't try [blank] unless you know what you're doing" but unless you actually say what it is that we should be doing, you haven't really imparted any new learning on your audience. "Don't use a bandsaw without the proper safety training" doesn't really give you any more info about woodworking than you had before, now does it, and the one guy who heard what you said but damned if he isn't going to get that doghouse built by the week's end is none the wiser for having listened to your tirade. Don't just tell people that they're doing something wrong, EDUCATE them! Tell them what they're doing wrong, and why it's wrong. What was happening? What is it that she did (or didn't do) that she shouldn't (or should) have done? Your post smacks of fear-mongering and just sounds like you're bragging about how you're "so pro" at vaping and so much better at it than the rest of us...

Now, don't get me wrong. I mean, battery safety is important, I get that, and I'm not trying to say it isn't. But my point is, that climbing up on the rooftop and shouting "Battery safety! Battery safety, fools!" until you're blue in the face isn't going to make anyone wiser on the subject, it's just going to give you a sore throat, and likely piss off the neighbors.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Well? Don't just hide behind your thick vapor-cloud of elitism...drop some juicy knowledge on us noobs! Anyone can say "Don't try [blank] unless you know what you're doing" but unless you actually say what it is that we should be doing, you haven't really imparted any new learning on your audience. "Don't use a bandsaw without the proper safety training" doesn't really give you any more info about woodworking than you had before, now does it, and the one guy who heard what you said but damned if he isn't going to get that doghouse built by the week's end is none the wiser for having listened to your tirade. Don't just tell people that they're doing something wrong, EDUCATE them! Tell them what they're doing wrong, and why it's wrong. What was happening? What is it that she did (or didn't do) that she shouldn't (or should) have done? Your post smacks of fear-mongering and just sounds like you're bragging about how you're "so pro" at vaping and so much better at it than the rest of us...

Now, don't get me wrong. I mean, battery safety is important, I get that, and I'm not trying to say it isn't. But my point is, that climbing up on the rooftop and shouting "Battery safety! Battery safety, fools!" until you're blue in the face isn't going to make anyone wiser on the subject, it's just going to give you a sore throat, and likely piss off the neighbors.

I see your point - and agree, though your post reads to me like flame, and that seems unnecessary :) I hope I'm taking it in the spirit it was intended. I know it was said for OP.
Maybe we should link to baditudes blogs :)

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I see your point - and agree, though your post reads to me like flame, and that seems unnecessary :) I hope I'm taking it in the spirit it was intended. I know it was said for OP.
Maybe we should link to baditudes blogs :)

I would never flame, but I do have strong opinions and sometimes I voice them (write them?) without much tenderness (Hi, my name's Ben and I can come off as kind of a jerk sometimes). I just feel like the OP is less about battery safety and more about "hey guys, listen to this story about this stupid chick that came in the vape shop one time." I mean, I know a thing or two I suppose, but I'm still pretty noob in regards to this whole deal, and even I didn't learn anything new from this post.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Sort of like... don't criticize the way someone does something, without offering them a better way to do it. Just telling them they're wrong does not change anything, and they won't believe you, until you actually show them something they didn't know before.

Andria

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
philoshop, there are a lot, from the R/C crowd especially. Yes the chemistry of LiPo is slightly different, but the same cautions apply.

Search youtube for LiPo battery failure.

I'm an R/C guy. That's where the idea came from. Quite honestly the R/C folks tend to take these things a bit more seriously for the most part than a lot of the vapers do, probably because of the money involved in doing things recklessly and having to watch an expensive project go up in flames. Then there are those who only read 'the directions' after they get into trouble.

Education is absolutely the key, and there are dozens of excellent posts regarding safety on this site alone that can be read for free.

dgm76513

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Belton, TX
Lots of should, would, and could. People are dumb. They want the best without putting in any effort. that's just how modern society is.

Still, we have to deal with them. It's our duty to educate them. I suggest throwing so much caution and detail at them that they get bored with it and go back to something safer.

I mean you sit there and explicitly tell them what is likely to happen if they do a certain thing, like building a coil and throwing it on a mech mod without knowing the resistance, or what the battery can handle, etc etc and it goes in one ear and out the other.

Ignorance combined with apathy.

I'm surrounded by it on a daily basis.

I'm so over it.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
I would never flame, but I do have strong opinions and sometimes I voice them (write them?) without much tenderness (Hi, my name's Ben and I can come off as kind of a jerk sometimes). I just feel like the OP is less about battery safety and more about "hey guys, listen to this story about this stupid chick that came in the vape shop one time." I mean, I know a thing or two I suppose, but I'm still pretty noob in regards to this whole deal, and even I didn't learn anything new from this post.

If you've learned that you have more learning to do then you've learned something. Check out the blogs here by a gentleman known as Baditude. He explains things very well.

Danbrooks2k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Pensacola, Florida

This is the general forum... we cant teach proper sub ohm vaping in a few posts... They have sections of this forums with oodles of stickies and information a little better arranged than the general topics area.

We get a lot of "I wanna blow clouds bro" threads ... there isnt anything wrong with wanting to blow clouds... but read the forums for a while and learn.

I started on cig-a-likes, went to an ego and a CE4, then a spinner and an evod, then an mvp and a protank, then carto tanks and then a genny tank on a mech mod, then back to cartos, then on to a provari and a kayfun, then a few drippers, then nautilus BDC nautilus BVC, lemo drop, then Atlantis, now back to trying sub ohm coils on a protected mod.

I meet many vapers who walk into a shop and out with a mech mod and dripper. After the coil burns up they are lost and sometimes do some very unsafe stuff.

We are glad to help. But try the forum sections for mech mods and sub ohm vaping... read the sticky threads... just some advice

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
This is the general forum... we cant teach proper sub ohm vaping in a few posts... They have sections of this forums with oodles of stickies and information a little better arranged than the general topics area.

We get a lot of "I wanna blow clouds bro" threads ... there isnt anything wrong with wanting to blow clouds... but read the forums for a while and learn.

I started on cig-a-likes, went to an ego and a CE4, then a spinner and an evod, then an mvp and a protank, then carto tanks and then a genny tank on a mech mod, then back to cartos, then on to a provari and a kayfun, then a few drippers, then nautilus BDC nautilus BVC, lemo drop, then Atlantis, now back to trying sub ohm coils on a protected mod.

I meet many vapers who walk into a shop and out with a mech mod and dripper. After the coil burns up they are lost and sometimes do some very unsafe stuff.

We are glad to help. But try the forum sections for mech mods and sub ohm vaping... read the sticky threads... just some advice

Thats true - the sub text here is that B&Ms need to do a better job of educating their employees, and being very "pushy" about selling quality ohm checkers with mech mods to first time mech mod buyers. by pushy i mean they need to explain the dangers involved in building dangerously and not checking your resistance before slapping a build on an unregulated device. I'm sure some B&Ms are just out there to make a quick buck, but I'd like to believe that those are in the minority...

I too learned to roll over, then crawl, before walking (cigalike, ego, regulated, then mech) but I understand people skipping the first two steps of my progression, I just wish more walked out with regulated mods than mech mods... you CAN blow "sick clouds" on a regulated device, even at 30w.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I'm an R/C guy. That's where the idea came from. Quite honestly the R/C folks tend to take these things a bit more seriously for the most part than a lot of the vapers do, probably because of the money involved in doing things recklessly and having to watch an expensive project go up in flames. Then there are those who only read 'the directions' after they get into trouble.

Education is absolutely the key, and there are dozens of excellent posts regarding safety on this site alone that can be read for free.

It's odd that R/C guys are more cautious than vapers.. your plane/car may explode, but its not likely in your hand next to your face like your mech mod...

Even with safe chemistry batteries that are much less likely to explode, they spew hot toxic (i think it's toxic..) gas.. in some of the videos I've seen the insulator in the atty melted and the gas when into the RDA... If you don't know the warning signs (HOT battery) and put that thing next to your face, you could end up spending A LOT more on medical bills than a quality ohm reader costs.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
If you've learned that you have more learning to do then you've learned something. Check out the blogs here by a gentleman known as Baditude. He explains things very well.

Alsxo JeremyR... haven't seen him mentioned, but he's got some blogs on the subject too. He was extremely helpful to me when I was doing the Battery 101 thing, in the sigelei zmax thread. Smart guy!!!

Andria

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
It's odd that R/C guys are more cautious than vapers.. your plane/car may explode, but its not likely in your hand next to your face like your mech mod...

Even with safe chemistry batteries that are much less likely to explode, they spew hot toxic (i think it's toxic..) gas.. in some of the videos I've seen the insulator in the atty melted and the gas when into the RDA... If you don't know the warning signs (HOT battery) and put that thing next to your face, you could end up spending A LOT more on medical bills than a quality ohm reader costs.

I'm pretty new to vaping and have little interest in the sub-ohm niche, but I've been into the airplane stuff for almost 14 yrs. The technology is making things easier every day for the new pilots, but most of them learn pretty quickly that without some experienced help they're going to crash a lot of airplanes and waste a lot of money.
A new vaper's first 'crash' could be catastrophic, but a lot of them don't even know that the 'crash' is a possibility. The thought that it might take some knowledge and experience to do some of the things seen on youtube never crosses their mind.

I have a constructive thought. Many of the warnings that we see on everyday stuff are a result of industry organisation and standards groups, not always government regs. Think ISO certifications and whatnot.

Does anyone have the knowledge or contacts to work with manufacturers to get a card included with vape gear with basic warnings and directions on where to find more information?

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I have a constructive thought. Many of the warnings that we see on everyday stuff are a result of industry organisation and standards groups, not always government regs. Think ISO certifications and whatnot.

Does anyone have the knowledge or contacts to work with manufacturers to get a card included with vape gear with basic warnings and directions on where to find more information?

I have an additional standards proposal - certify vape stores with some sort of online certification, then regulate that by having experienced vapers "secret shop" :)

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Just wanted to share a story I had on my experience yesterday.

So I was at my local Vape Shop, and I was chilling with the owner trying to work on clone recipes. (And come up with our own lol). And Business was dead for the whole 2 hours I was there until about 3:15pm.

This lady walked in ....SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING. (But we did)....FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN ON THIS!

Yeah, some of the best entertainment happens at the local vape shop.

Took Spot with me one time, leashed and harnessed, she was perched on me shoulder, minding and all, when a lady walked in and say's oooh, how pretty, can I pet her, I'm a cat person. Tried to tell her that Spot's a Savannah and should be cautious and gentle, lady didn't listen, Spot lays back her ears and growls, lady didn't listen and sticks her hand in Spots face, yeah, final mistake, Spot snarls spit hisses and full claws bared, batts the offending hand away. Lady jumps 5 feet backward mumbling, but I'm a cat person. Both the owner and I cracked up laughing.

Point being, there are stupid people out there, and some of them walk into vape shops. :D:lol:

Vape long and Prosper.!!!!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Yeah, some of the best entertainment happens at the local vape shop.

Took Spot with me one time, leashed and harnessed, she was perched on me shoulder, minding and all, when a lady walked in and say's oooh, how pretty, can I pet her, I'm a cat person. Tried to tell her that Spot's a Savannah and should be cautious and gentle, lady didn't listen, Spot lays back her ears and growls, lady didn't listen and sticks her hand in Spots face, yeah, final mistake, Spot snarls spit hisses and full claws bared, batts the offending hand away. Lady jumps 5 feet backward mumbling, but I'm a cat person. Both the owner and I cracked up laughing.

Point being, there are stupid people out there, and some of them walk into vape shops. :D:lol:

Vape long and Prosper.!!!!

She really WAS stupid, to disregard clear cat signals like that. I'm very new to cat-appreciation, but even *I* know that much! A lot of cats don't like strangers at all -- if anyone our cat doesn't know comes in the house, she runs and hides -- behind the giant toolbox in the garage! :D

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread