organic-watermelon-coffee-tea-flavoring

organic-vanilla-coffee-tea-flavoring

organic-macadamia-nut-coffee-tea-flavoring

organic-peach-coffee-tea-flavoring

organic-strawberry-coffee-tea-flavoring

organic-pineapple-coffee-tea-flavoring

organic-butter-pecan-coffee-and-tea-flavor-without-diacetyl

What am I doing wrong?

Of these flavors, so far I separately mixed anise, banana, cola, pineapple, and jasmine. None of them really taste great compared to the ECBlend %100 VG Organic All Natural line I'm used to. None are very pronounced (except anise) even with the concentrates at %20 of the total mix. I used to get my ECBlend with sweetener and 'extra flavor', but I don't think they'd mix that more than %20. These NFs kind of just taste sweet like I made a concoction of sweet flavors plus the VG sweetness. I'm using %100 VG from Essential Depot which is supposed to be some of the best. I mixed them low at around 8MG (RTS Vapes nicotine base in %100 VG). I usually use a protank with silica.

Anise is way too strong at %20 FYI. Cola reminds me of flat soda. I wouldn't splurge for the jasmine flavor if you like jasmine. Virgin Vapor's jasmine was even better and I wasn't crazy about it. Both are perfume-ey and don't come close to the smell of actual jasmine flowers.

I might have to go back to the drawing board to find other natural and basic (not many ingredients) organic DIY flavors. And/or start making my own coffee, cinnamon, tobacco etc whatever's do-able.

I think it might be the alcohol in NF or something. If I leave the cap off to evaporate it, I'm afraid I'll loose half the flavor with it. I might try something besides their 'flavor for coffee/tea" line which almost everyone including NF says to use for e-juice. Some of NF's other lines don't have alcohol.

Also, I put a few drops in one of those homemade ice-pop makers you freeze like an ice cube tray. I just added about %3 flavoring, some powdered sugar and water - they were disgusting and tasted like chemicals.

any help or suggestions?

Last edited:

Puppytime

Jun 12, 2013
United States
Do some low % test of single flavors so you can find what % you need to mix them at, like 3ml samples to get a taste. 20% sounds too high.
Might even need to let it sit for a day before trying them.
Think the nf thread has % to start mixes at.
Then decide what to mix with them.
Cant just start mixing everything with coffee - tea and expect it to be good.

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada
What am I doing wrong?

Of these flavors, so far I separately mixed anise, banana, cola, pineapple, and jasmine. None of them really taste great compared to the Both are perfume-ey and don't come close to the smell of actual jasmine flowers.

Also, I put a few drops in one of those homemade ice-pop makers you freeze like an ice cube tray. I just added about %3 flavoring, some powdered sugar and water - they were disgusting and tasted like chemicals.

any help or suggestions?

Sounds like you are having issues with # 7 of Hoosier's Flavoring Levels

Kinda' Close, but the Perfumey/Chemically Kills It (Going into the too much realm here and may be due to ignoring the steep part of #4.)

If I were you - I would dilute and steep - bit by bit - till the problem was fixed.

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Even at a good percentage you may need to let these air for at least a day to get the alcohol down. And sadly 2 out of 3 that I have tried (chocolate mint and honey) stayed perfume even at very low percentages. I have peach and it behaves decently at 3% but more flavor makes it perfume.

Might be some of those that you have to dilute down (I use 5 %) - then use the new diluted form for recipes .... so it would end up being like 1 % of the 5 % dilution - I can imagine (but have yet to experience) using 1 % of a .5 % solution one of these days.

Haven't tried Honey - read that it smells really, really bad - how do you deal with the smell ?

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada
I think this last test I did was .5% on the honey and the choc mint and it is still perfumy. The mint is closer but as far as I care they are both unusable at any strength.

Edit to add that this is with weeks of steep time and a couple of days up front for the alcohol to escape.

Laughs - right, in my Ingredient notes I have Honey - DO NOT USE - stinks - find alternative
I guess I shall never taste Honey then

Thanks for the reinforcement

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
Thanks. I checked out 'Hoosier's Flavoring Levels'.
I think I read NFs should be around %20, maybe even %25. I prolly added too much and it made it taste like a sweet concoction and/or I must evaporate some alcohol 1st. They're are all steeped about 3 weeks and got worse as they steeped FYI.

While I'm here, and this forum has what I see as a counterintuitive feature that we can't edit posts older than like 3 days and my thread got locked so I can't bump it with this info, I might have given misinformation in this thread about GMO/engineered foods

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-vegan-nicotine-e-cig-cigarette-vaping-2.html

"I'm not saying GMO/engineered foods are good, they usually aren't, and are usually made to produce bigger foods (more bang for buck) with no seeds (easier to eat, but removes important fat, antioxidants, omegas, etc, but sellers know most don't know that and prefer a sweeter-eaier-to-eat product) and sweeter (easier to sell, but without the fat from seeds absorbs too quickly into the blood stream and if not burned off can lead to problems, like drinking soda and even juice), not to mention the problems GMO can pass to the eater.

is wrong because seedless doesn't always mean it's GMO.

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Thanks. I checked out 'Hoosier's Flavoring Levels'.
I think I read NFs should be around %20, maybe even %25. I prolly added too much and it made it taste like a sweet concoction and/or I must evaporate some alcohol 1st. They're are all steeped about 3 weeks and got worse as they steeped FYI.

I can see that - too strong doesn't get less strong when it steeps.
But not strong enough, can get stronger as it steeps - also sometimes a selected additive will make it pop out to perfection, where another drop would have made it too strong again.

For everything on your list except the butter pecan coffee and teas -

You can dilute a sample down to where the perfume and chemical is gone - then add a drop (or several - one drop at a time ) of either/or/all lemon / raspberry / few grains of sugar substitute / few grains of salt to bring the taste up/out without getting too strong again.

Let us know what ended up working please.

If it was me - I would dig out a 15 or 20 ml bottle (because that is where I think this will end up )

1. Put in only 1 ml of your existing liquid flavor ( the one you made, not the one you bought)
2. Add 1 ml of non - nic base (pg/vg) - write notes
3. Steep for 3 days
4. Test small amount - write notes
5. Repeat 2-4 until all perfume/chemical taste is gone

6. Add one drop of selected additive - write notes
(either/or/all lemon / raspberry / few grains of sugar substitute / few grains of salt- other of your choice)
7. Steep for 24 hours
8. Test small amount - write notes

Keep playing with it till it gets close enough - then collect all your notes - and post again with results and more advanced peoples can help you get it over the top to perfection

Last edited:

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I agree with what's been said about flavor percentages.

I just want to add, that I purchased 16 different organic flavors from NF to use for kettle corn, and out of the 16 we were only able to tolerate 4...the rest were horrible (at any "percentage"). Of the 4 we could tolerate initially, after several batches we couldn't stand 2 of them. If you google NF, you'll see dozens upon dozens of negative reports & reviews about their flavors & business practices.

'Sure do hope you're able to salvage more than just a few!
I have no idea how their liquids compare to their powders, but the powders were basically atrocious.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
If you google NF, you'll see dozens upon dozens of negative reports & reviews about their flavors & business practices.

Including not being up front about what exactly is safe to vape and what isn't, ie. some of their flavors that contain diacetyls.

when you buy from TPA or Flavour arts, they spell that out pretty clearly. I look for those things. :)

I had some of the NFs.......did leave tops off so alcohol would evaporate......lost a whole lot of liquid in the bottle that way? It just wasn't for me.

TamJeff

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2012
United States
Natural flavorings translate waaaaaaaay differently than imitation flavors do. Take vanilla for instance. As a food flavoring, it's percentages are often very low. 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract in a whole recipe of pudding, for instance. A couple teaspoons for a batch of ice cream. I use NF in light flavor liquid that in a 20ml batch, requires 4.4ml of total flavor. 4ml of the main flavor and .4ml of vanilla. Anymore than that and the vanilla starts taking over. It may even stand on it's own at that used as a single flavor. I don't know, but I am not a huge fan of vaping vanilla. Love it in food, hate it in vapes, regardless of the brand. Also hate caramel and just about every other food flavor in vapes.

I have had a good experience with NF. The types of flavors I like have been very accurate. I lean more towards light liqueurs and this is where natural flavors that translate well into pure food extracts as enhancements to food recipes, tend to work the same with vapes. NF are strictly food and beverage flavors. The fact that some of them happen to be vape friendly is lucky at best.

TamJeff

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2012
United States
To the OP, with regard to adding flavor and sugar to water. Have you ever tried doing that with regular extracts that you get at the grocery store? It would be equally disgusting. Flavors made just for water will also typically have something like citric acid. Think Koolaid.

Of all the flavors you listed, I cannot think of any that really translate well to vaping as natural flavors. It's the more candied versions of those flavors that most people seem to rave about. Natural vanilla would not do well on it's own. Vanilla ice cream has cream. If you don't understand what I mean, try chewing on a vanilla bean even with sugar on it. It doesn't work like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread