Diluting 72mg Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronniee

Jun 28, 2016
Hey what's up.

I have a 100ml bottle of 7.2% (72mg) Nicotine on it's way, however I've heard it's best to dilute nicotine to 50mg/36mg as it's not supposed to be vaped without being diluted.

How would I dilute this 100ml of 72mg Nicotine to 50mg or 36mg (whatever one is best) ?
Also will I be using distilled water to dilute it?

I mix most of my liquids at 6mg strength.

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: evan le'garde

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Hey what's up.

I have a 100ml bottle of 7.2% (72mg) Nicotine on it's way, however I've heard it's best to dilute nicotine to 50mg/36mg as it's not supposed to be vaped without being diluted.

How would I dilute this 100ml of 72mg Nicotine to 50mg or 36mg (whatever one is best) ?

Thanks everyone.

I'm really not trying to be snarky here when I say, you need to do some reading here. Start with the stickies at the top of the page and then read dannyv45 's blogs. After that you should be able to either answer your own questions or be able to ask more specifically what you wish to know.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/members/dannyv45.130984/
No one is going to sit here and explain the entire mixing process to you. You really need to do at least some research first.

Reactions: IDJoel

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
After you read up on mixing ratios, flavorings, PG, VG, etc....I'd use one of the online calculators. You'd input your 72mg/mL starting nic concentration (indicating whether it's PG or VG based), then input your desired 6mg/mL nic level (along with your desired PG/VG ratio) that you said you want to end up with. It will then show you how much of your 72mg/mL nic, how much PG, and how much VG to mix together to make unflavored eliquid.

Be aware that if you want flavored eliquid though, you'd also need to find a recipe for what you want to make, and input the flavorings you'd use to make it, and at what flavoring % for each one of them.

It's not as simple to go from 72mg/mL to your desired 6mg/mL finished product...by just diluting it with some distilled water. Best to read up on what and how to do it as suggested above.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Welcome to ECF Ronniee,

This seems to be your first attempt at DIY so before doing anything do some research. This is a must for new members to ECF that intend to make there own juice. The research suggested below will give you basic insight into what's involved in DIY and help you formulate proper specific questions.

My blogs will give insight into all aspects of DYI, from steeping to what supplies to have on hand to a basic walk through mixing your first E-juice.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Then read hoosier's blogs. These blogs concentrate on fine tuning your mix and give insight on additives.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Then read Boletus's blog's. These blogs concentrate on formulation of nicotine bases regarding proper calculations methods for figuring Nicotine concentration as well as safety.

E-Cigarette Forum - Boletus - Blogs

Then read Ginger's book "E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid". It is a book which I've contributed to that delivers an in depth easy to follow guide in the art of DYI.

E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid

I recommend viewing VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I am curious if the OP already mixes as stated in his one post how is he doing it now? If it is true that he knows how to accurately mix to achieve 6MG why is he asking this?

That thought occurred to me as well. I'm just going to assume the OP meant "they currently vape 6mg"

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I make 24mg e liquid with 72mg nicotine liquid. Here's how i make 10ml.

Three and a third mil of 72mg nicotine liquid.
Five and two thirds mil of cutting liquid, in my case plain VG.
One mil of flavouring.

Here's how i make 10ml of 36mg e liquid using 72mg nicotine liquid.

5 mil of 72mg nicotine liquid.
4 mil of plain VG.
1 mil of flavouring.

Here's how i would make 10ml of 50.4mg e liquid using 72mg nicotine liquid.

7 mil of nicotine liquid.
2 mil plain VG
1 mil of flavouring.

Each mil of 72mg nicotine liquid = 7.2mg per 10ml of juice.

So :
1 mil of 72mg nicotine liquid in 10 mil of juice = 7.2mg
2 mil in 10 mil of juice = 14.2mg
3 mil in 10 mil of juice = 21.6mg
4 mil in 10 mil of juice = 28.8mg
5 mil in 10 mil of juice = 36mg
6 mil in 10 mil of juice = 43.2mg
7 mil in 10 mil of juice = 50.4mg
8 mil in 10 mil of juice = 57.6mg
9 mil in 10 mil of juice = 64.8mg
10 mil in 10mil of juice = 72mg

To dilute 100ml of 72mg nicotine liquid down to 50mg juice just add 28ml of vegetable Glycerine and 14ml of flavouring = 142ml of juice

To dilute 100ml of 72mg nicotine liquid down to 36mg juice just add 80ml of vegetable Glycerine and 20ml of flavouring = 200ml of juice

Last edited:

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Hey what's up.

Thanks everyone.

If you want to make 6mg juice then the best way is to finish with 12ml of juice each time you make some, unless you want to make it all at once.

Here's how you make 12ml of 6mg juice :

1ml of 72mg nicotine liquid.
10ml of Vegetable Glycerine.
1ml of flavouring.

At that rate your 100ml of 72mg nicotine liquid should make in total 1.2 litres of juice.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Well to make a 10ML of 6MG e-Liquid I would use a calculator and just use .8333 of 72MG/ML Nicotine and the remainder being the VG/PG/Flavorings. In my opinion working with it one time to produce the final product is more efficient.

12 x 6 = 72

So the easiest way to make 6mg juice with 72mg nicotine liquid is to end up with 12ml of juice so you wouldn't have to use fractions of mils to measure the ingredients, especially the nicotine liquid. Just use 1ml of nicotine liquid because you can't measure 8.333ml's.

One twelth of 12ml = 1ml

Easy !.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Well in your hypothetical example up top you used 10 ML so that is the number I inserted into my calculator. But with 10% flavor that would be 1.2 ML and 9.8 ML of VG/PG to use 1 ML of Nicotine.

And I can measure close enough for Government work to .8 MLs and probably be as accurate as the 1 ML. Now if you want to be critical measure by weight to be even more precise.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Well in your hypothetical example up top you used 10 ML so that is the number I inserted into my calculator. But with 10% flavor that would be 1.2 ML and 9.8 ML of VG/PG to use 1 ML of Nicotine.

And I can measure close enough for Government work to .8 MLs and probably be as accurate as the 1 ML. Now if you want to be critical measure by weight to be even more precise.

It's all just a pain anyway. It would be a lot easier if in the uk we were allowed 100mg nicotine liquid. This 72mg business just complicates things.

Measuring by weight means even more confusion. VG is more than 1000mg's per cubic cm (1ml) in weight. 1261mg's of VG = 1 cubic cm (1ml). If the 72mg nicotine liquid has 72mg's of nicotine per 1000mg's then one cubic cm (1ml) has more than 72mg of nicotine in it, it has about 86mg of nicotine in it, unless the producers of the liquid measured the VG by mil when adding the nicotine. If that was the case then there are 72mg's per 1261mg (1 cubic cm - 1 ml). The nicotine liquid i buy is measured in litres, it says so on the bottle.

I'd say the producers add 72mg of nicotine to every 1189mg of VG = 1 cubic cm (1ml). (There would still be a slight difference in volume because nicotine has the same density as water and VG is more dense, so there would be a few less mg's of VG, and the producers would be more accurate than me). Unless the end user knows that there are 1261mg's per 1 cubic cm (1ml) of VG, then i'd say that weighing VG to make e liquid is probably a bad idea. But only because there would be less than 72mg's of nicotine per 1000, but about 58mg's of nicotine per 1000.

Sorry, i wasn't trying to contradict you. Just trying to go about it the easiest way.

Last edited:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
It does make you wonder about the "Cottage Industry" sector of the vaping world, and just how accurate they are at measuring these ingredients to make their e liquid. Maybe some regulations are neccessary after all !.

Doesn't make me wonder about them at all. The math you did above is gobly goop. The weight of 72 mg is a known. We trust ourselves to do it accurately and the people who do it for a living are much more addept than most of us. We have been vaping away for ten years with no regs. and no major problems.

It is people with woosie attitudes like yours that show how often we can be our own worst enemy. Do you own stock in Big Tobacco? Sounds like it because those are the only people who are going to be able to afford your "necessary regulations" .

Reactions: bwh79

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Doesn't make me wonder about them at all. The math you did above is gobly goop. The weight of 72 mg is a known. We trust ourselves to do it accurately and the people who do it for a living are much more addept than most of us. We have been vaping away for ten years with no regs. and no major problems.

It is people with woosie attitudes like yours that show how often we can be our own worst enemy. Do you own stock in Big Tobacco? Sounds like it because those are the only people who are going to be able to afford your "necessary regulations" .

This clearly says 72%.

What it doesn't say is mg per ml, which is what it should say. 72% of 1261mg is more than 72% of 1000mg. Whether you think it matters or not is irrelevant. The total volume regardless of what it is doesn't account for how much of each ingredient is in the product. If 72% per ml is in the VG product then there is more nicotine and less VG in it. But if 72% per 1000mg is in the VG product then there is less nicotine and more VG in the product.

So i ask you Capt.shay, does it mean 72% of a ml which is 1261mg ?, or does it mean 72% of what people usually think a ml is, 1000mg ?.

If it means 72mg per mil then it should say so, but it doesn't !. So does that mean it is 72% ?. Then my question would be 72% of what ?. 1261mg, or, 1000mg ?

There's no need to be confrontatinal. I need to know how much nicotine is in my nicotine base. And using a % symbol is ambiguous to me, and doesn't clearly specify the correct amount of ingredients in the product.

If "mg per mil" were to be the universal description then things would be perfectly clear to everybody.

I am confused about your hostile response. I don't understand it.

The "maths" isn't, as you say, "gobly goop" at all.
You said the weight of 72mg is a known. I know it is, it's 72mg.

So is that 72mg per 1261g ? (which is how much a cubic cm (1ml) of Vegetable Glycerine weighs). Or is that 72mg per 1000mg ?. (Which is the standard weight for liquid such as water)

So which is it : 72% of 1261mg (1ml of VG)
Or : 72% of 1000mg (approximately 1 fifth less than a ml of VG)

?

Having 72% written on the bottle doesn't explain how much nicotine is actually in the product !.

72% of 1261mg (1ml of VG) isn't 72mg.

Please !, please tell me you understand the differences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread