Did it take you more than one attempt to quit smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance The Dripper

Nov 18, 2015
Did it take you more than one attempt to switch? If so, what was it that made the difference and helped you finally make the transition?
I tried a couple times (cold turkey, patches, cig-a-likes), but getting a better setup and tastier juice (and a little something green:blush: ) finally helped pushed me into making the full transition!

Or if you still smoke and vape, what's the main thing holding you back from switching completely?
Having pretty frequent anxiety makes it pretty hard to put aside a habit that helped me feel less anxious, but I've definitely cut back for the most part!

Do you know anyone else who struggled to switch or was a dual user at first but quit smoking on a subsequent attempt? What made the difference for them?
I have a friend who goes to vape shops with her boyfriend, but she's still by-and-large a cig smoker and if he hasn't changed her, I doubt I can. (Not to sound hopeless, but we dated and I know how stubborn she can be :p )

How important a factor is support (from other vapers or stop-smoking services) when you're trying to switch?
I don't necessarily NEED the support, but it strongly helps when I have it!

And lastly - what's your number one piece of advice for someone trying to switch?
Talk to some fellow ex-smokers, take the plunge and try some flavors!

Reactions: DC2

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
When I was a smoker I quit all the time. Quit buying cigarettes, at least, bumming them off friends and co-workers until they got ...... off enough that I just started buying again.

Once I started e-cigs, though, I was done with cigarettes within the week. That was almost six years ago.

Reactions: DC2

Moaufan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
Richland, Ga. USA
I wasn't interested in quitting a 36 year 3pad habit at all. I had a terrible bout with bronchitis and my Dr. suggested once again that I quit smoking. Nope not going to happen Doc., he said, if I would try a ecig he would purchase it for me. I declined, got a new prescription and left. That same afternoon when on a smoke break a co-worker was vaping. We talked and she offered it for me to try. I declined because I didn't really want to use her drip tip,she sensed that and got another tip. The throat hit and the clouds were there, and I thought this might work.
That was on Dec. 6, 2013, that same afternoon I smoked my last cigarette and have not had a drag of one since I walked out of the vape shop. Fast approaching the 2 year mark.
I was lucky and joined the ECF family 2 days into my vape journey. They are a very special group and I couldn't have gotten where I am today with out them.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I wasn't interested in quitting a 36 year 3pad habit at all. I had a terrible bout with bronchitis and my Dr. suggested once again that I quit smoking. Nope not going to happen Doc., he said, if I would try a ecig he would purchase it for me. I declined, got a new prescription and left. That same afternoon when on a smoke break a co-worker was vaping. We talked and she offered it for me to try. I declined because I didn't really want to use her drip tip,she sensed that and got another tip. The throat hit and the clouds were there, and I thought this might work.
That was on Dec. 6, 2013, that same afternoon I smoked my last cigarette and have not had a drag of one since I walked out of the vape shop. Fast approaching the 2 year mark.
I was lucky and joined the ECF family 2 days into my vape journey. They are a very special group and I couldn't have gotten where I am today with out them.

I had tried a couple of the disposables, didn't really like them, but one of them -- the original Njoy -- did provide decent TH, so I thought, hmm, maybe... Then I saw my doc for a checkup, as usual he suggested that cutting down as much as possible would be a good thing, if I couldn't quit, and I happened to mention that I had given some thought to e-cigarettes, and he strongly agreed that I should try them and see if they could help me quit. It was January and I was REALLY tired of freezing my buttocks off, on the front porch, so I tried another disposable... a Blu, this time, and the taste was just horrible -- but I got mad at wasting so much money on crap, and googled "e-cigarette"... and up jumped links to ECF, so i came here and asked questions... and got good answers along with a warm welcome, so I got an eRoll, finally found an ejuice that was somewhat similar to the taste of my Slims... and now I haven't smoked in well over a year. Miracles really can happen. :D After 39 yrs of smoking and 30 yrs of trying to quit it, I'd say it's an authentic miracle! :thumb:

Andria

MrKevman

Nov 19, 2015
It took me a long time to switch exclusively to vaping. After years of trying subpar e-cigs I finally purchased Halo Triton Tank which did get me off the cigs for good. After a while I finally switched over to the Aspire CF Sub which I love! Haven't had a smoke in 10 months. Only problem now is with the tank. I have a Kangertech which was great, but apparently now the OCC coils they make are vertical and not horizontal. Had no idea there was even a difference until I bought my last coil pack. Now I'm trying to find a solution to that. But overall - playing around with different e-cigs and what not did help me get away from smoking cigs, it did take a few years though.

HotRodCarts

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2015
Illinois
www.vaperholics.com
40+ years of smoking 2-3 packs a day. I quit once cold turkey for a year about 20 years ago. I've tried gum, patches, Chantix (poison) and none of it worked for me.
About 3 years ago I started vaping with the cigarette looking e-Cigs then moved up to ego batteries and cheapo tanks. Got frustrated with the leaking and not working half the time and started smoking again. November 8 2015 I bought 2 iStick 50's and haven't smoked since. Hopefully for good this time.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
For me finding a solution to STOP SMOKING was a critical issue. I'd smoked for over 45yrs and it was taking it's toll.
At 58yrs old I was now struggling to make it through a 12hr shift in a Job where my coworkers average age was 25-30. I had to fix a situation that could effect my whole family.
I had already failed repeatedly at Cold Turkey approach and Patches were an expensive waste of time. Coming off the patch actually increased my desire to smoke.:glare:

I spent almost 6 months researching, reading studies and failures rates/Side effects/etc. I did find a wonder Drug - a natural pill that has been used in Europe for Decades with a higher success rate than any BP drug on the market. Unfortunately ordering only lost me money....Never received anything.

While waiting for the nothing, I kept hunting a solution and began reading up on Vaping.

My first purchase was far from great, but it WAS the solution I was looking for.

First Puff.............never looked back.:D

Reactions: DavidOck
Lordy, quitting was easy...I did it about 248 times.

Vaping was the only one that stuck. Patch...forget it (not to mention that I seem to react a bit to the adhesive in it and itch). Gum, sorry, I hate chewing gum. Lozenges..they worked, but were completely unsatisfying (the hiccups were annoying as well).

Chantix...don't get me started. Headaches, nausea, altered personality, and a fun bout with severe depression that lasted six months.

It took me about 3 months to fully change over from smoking to vaping, and even after that there were some interesting cravings, but those did lessen and go away. 22 mg/ml nic helped.

These days, I'm down to 1 mg/ml and could easily go to 0 if I wanted.

JavaJunkie

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Virginia
Switched to vaping 5 years ago and I still see every day as a new attempt. I haven't had an analog in years, but I still get cravings.

Prior to vaping, I never made a genuine attempt to quit. Had no desire to do so. When I switched, I wasn't thinking about "quitting". I was thinking about harm reduction and now I have no desire to quit vaping.

I enjoyed smoking. I enjoy vaping more.

Reactions: AndriaD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread