Diacetyl in e-liquid-please lets find out suppliers who do not use this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
This is all fine and dandy,,,but what you are asking for is going to make this product cost way too much and even take it off the market. There are new companies coming online everyday. They are buying in bulk from china and mixing in there kitchens. Dangerous yeh I assume it is. When fda gets their hands on it all juice is coming out of a certified lab...you going to be paying big time for this...more than the cost of analog cigarettes for sure. Lots of reasons we have switched to e-cigs...mine and alot of others biggest reason.....money....10 bucks for a pack of analogs. Are these 100% safe? No..No but wrong as it maybe I am comparing them to anaolgs...end of story

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Im kind of with you there mgmrick - I used to smoke cigarettes - there's arsneic in them - even when found out about the arsenic I didnt go ;oh no! Arsenic!' And stop smoking - and nor did any of you either - we kept right on smoking 'em. I'm failry sure that smoking cigarettes isn't 'healthy', so anything healthiER than smoking those has to better.
I have no idea of the long risks of vaping and nor does anyone else here; scare stories are all very well (and do the vendors know for 100% sure that their products contain none of this liquid when they use ingredients that they have no control over? I doubt it) but honestly I could care less in the end.
The vendors I use say theirs don't contain it btw - I take them at their word but really who knows? Its not like I'm going to test it in a lab.

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
Cost...and second smoke...that is why I vape. If users are so worried then do none of the above.

Fair enough. No need to get snippy with me, though. We're all part of the same community, remember?

ETA: Because I just can't let sleeping dogs lie.

Why would you want diacetyl in your juice?

Last edited:

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
I didn't trade one bad habit for another. And the lesson to be learned from the cigarette industry was that we should be aware of what is in the products we are using and we should hold them accountable. The tobacco had it ingrained so far in them by the time we were aware of it that there was no stopping it. But we have the opportunity to nip that in the bud before it becomes standard operating procedure.

And if you read most of the people's posts on here, the cost saving are just a serendipitous bonus as about 95% say they switched from smoking to vaping for their health. Inhaling something that carries the toxicities that diacetyl does defeats the purpose. It is an unnecessary ingredient, and for a vendor to pretend not to use it when it is obvious they do is wrong.

Frankly, I would gladly pay double for a bottle of ejuice if that meant I was assuring it had some sort fo quality assurance and the safest possible ingredients. If you don't think your health is worth that, I am sure there will be a lot of vendors that will be filling that 'cavalier about ingredients' niche market.

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I dont even know how to respond to people that that have smoked cigs for years even knowing they where bad for us and the people around us. E-cigs are untested no long term use is known. I know I feel much better after giving up analog cigs of 33 years. I knew cigs where bad but I kept puffing away. I am going to take my chances with e-cigs. Please dont over regulate these so I cant afford them.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
I dont even know how to respond to people that that have smoked cigs for years even knowing they where bad for us and the people around us. E-cigs are untested no long term use is known. I know I feel much better after giving up analog cigs of 33 years. I knew cigs where bad but I kept puffing away. I am going to take my chances with e-cigs. Please dont over regulate these so I cant afford them.

If you don't want them regulated into the expensive category, then I would think you would be fully behind industry self-policing. With more and more people vaping, statistically there is a greater risk of somebody having side effects/adverse reactions. If you're (in the general sense, not you specifically) going to condone and even encourage using diacetyl, a known respiratory toxin, you might as well send the FDA an engraved invitation to come in and regulate.

For example, more and more smokers are changing over to vaping with all levels of lung disease already. Goes to the doctor's office. "Dr, I quit cigarettes using ecigs but I'm still short of breath." Doctor talks a little bit and finds out the patient is vaping a buttery cinnamon caramel roll. Despite what some may think, physicians are not stupid, they do talk to each other, and their regular meetings of the AMA are about more than just having a party. Doctor knows that inhalable butter means diacetyl. He mentions it to a colleague, compare notes, and it snowballs all the way up to an incident report sitting in the "woohoo we got 'em now" file a FDA.

There is no need for diacetyl to be in efluid and replacing it will not drive up the cost. If there some sort of industry organization, there would be discounts available on testing, and if a company is operating on such a thin margin that testing is cost prohibitive, well, you have to wonder what other cost-saving shortcuts they may take. And, if you think about it more long-term, what's going to happen when diacetyl butter cinnamon caramel vapors go back and sue the ejuice vendors the same way tobacco smokers did? Which is going to be more cost effective to the vendor?

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
My biggest concern over naming names, as it were, is that it might somehow be seen as some sort of witch hunt, eliciting thread closures. Because it can and probably should be pointed out that while many of us are concerned, there is no proof of diacetyl being dangerous to vape. (Common sense might tell you otherwise, but until there is proof, it probably is best not to treat those vendors who do use diacetyl as if they are knowingly compromising the health of their customers. Right?)

Ok if there is no proof...why are we even talking about it...There is proof analog cigs cause cancer

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
Ok if there is no proof...why are we even talking about it...There is proof analog cigs cause cancer

There is proof that diacetyl inhalation causes a much more rapid disease, bronchiolitis obliteraans, which is incurable short of lung transplant. The only thing in question is at what levels it is lethal.

Heartbskts

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Ohio
So, is FlavorArt the only flavoring co that has diacetyl in it? I'm only 44 yrs old and started vaping about a month ago because I was just diagnosed with emphysema. I LOVE vaping and have managed to stay away from analogs, for the most part. My all day vape is caramel cream, but it's sounding like I really need to re-think this. I love the richer, creamier flavors, I'm finding out, but maybe need to find another alternative here?

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
If you don't want them regulated into the expensive category, then I would think you would be fully behind industry self-policing. With more and more people vaping, statistically there is a greater risk of somebody having side effects/adverse reactions. If you're (in the general sense, not you specifically) going to condone and even encourage using diacetyl, a known respiratory toxin, you might as well send the FDA an engraved invitation to come in and regulate.

For example, more and more smokers are changing over to vaping with all levels of lung disease already. Goes to the doctor's office. "Dr, I quit cigarettes using ecigs but I'm still short of breath." Doctor talks a little bit and finds out the patient is vaping a buttery cinnamon caramel roll. Despite what some may think, physicians are not stupid, they do talk to each other, and their regular meetings of the AMA are about more than just having a party. Doctor knows that inhalable butter means diacetyl. He mentions it to a colleague, compare notes, and it snowballs all the way up to an incident report sitting in the "woohoo we got 'em now" file a FDA.

There is no need for diacetyl to be in efluid and replacing it will not drive up the cost. If there some sort of industry organization, there would be discounts available on testing, and if a company is operating on such a thin margin that testing is cost prohibitive, well, you have to wonder what other cost-saving shortcuts they may take. And, if you think about it more long-term, what's going to happen when diacetyl butter cinnamon caramel vapors go back and sue the ejuice vendors the same way tobacco smokers did? Which is going to be more cost effective to the vendor?

But where there also other small cancerous particles found when fda tested these. Where do we draw the line. There are numerous legal products out there that cause cancer. I am looking for a safer alternative to analog cigs...now we are just going to scare the market away.

Ask yourself (not you personally) e-cigs gone tomorow..go back to analogs?

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
So far FlavourArt is the only company we know of that uses diacetyl. Capella, LorAnn and Bickford say they do not use it. I was told by the owner of one of these companies that diacetyl is not used in FDA food flavorings and that there is no reason for companies to use it. I guess it's different in the UK but not positive.

It's not about not using e-cigs, it's about not using vendors that use flavorings that contain diacetyl. It's not that difficult and there are many other flavors available. There's no reason it should raise the price of eLiquid, just that some may have to reformulate some of their recipes which they do all the time anyway it seems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread