• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corki2

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2009
USA, TampaBay, FL
For the three months that I could get my very morbidly obese ex to do the Atkins diet he was able to get off insulin and only took one glucophage a day. Once he went off the diet he went right back to his old eating habits. Sadly he is now so overweight that he cannot walk and is in an assisted living facility at the age age of 50.

Wow, Jules, that's sad. I'm sorry he's having to go through that. I am fortunate that my sister's experience with insulin, etc was my eye opener and I got a grip on it. Some people feel deprived on low carb, I happen to enjoy it. There are so many great recipes, snacks, etc. I did a low carb thanksgiving and my family was thrilled. I'm not on a diet, I just don't eat carbs unless they are complex. I don't miss carbs because they make me feel groggy just as though I'd taken a sleeping pill.

Jules22871

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
I actually do low carb so I don't gain any weight. Since I can't exercise or move around much I have to watch it somehow,lol And yeah, there are hundreds of good recipes out there. I never get bored with it and neither does my family. I've got some surgery to go thru so right now I'm not as strict with it as I usually am, the doc doesn't like it, but once that's over I'll be right back to it. I feel better eating that way too and I'm not diabetic.

And just for the record, I didnt leave my ex because he became disabled. That actually happened after I was already remarried and his comment to my accident was that it was a shame I wasn't killed. Karma is great isn't it!

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Karma is a witch and will get you in the end!
I don't do low carb, I just eat sensibly and I am losing weight. Right now I am 11 pounds over my BMI and hoping to get down to it in time. I am not a fan of low anything except sugar, salt and fat.(anything with flavor in other words, Thank goodness for e-liquid)) I did the Adkins thing in my youth and it made me very ill. Nope, never again.
I just belive for me at least, that your body needs a little bit of everything to function right. The best diet I have been on is open mouth enough to vape and that's it until meal time. It's working! :rolleyes:
My problem is eating at meal time, I HATE breakfast! I am never up in time for it anyway so it's moot point, but I will eat a dab of lunch then dinner and a small snack at midnight. Tonight's snack was a nice thick slice of Whole grain bread with a small smear of butter (margarine).
Does any one else with diabetes hicup when the blood sugar goes too low? that's really strange because I never hicup otherwise. That should have clued me this morning, because I woke up with them..or rather they woke me up.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Sorry.....

I can't do "No Carbs" either... I gave up sex in this life and haven't been stoned in so many years.... I just won't give up carbs, No Way, Nuh-Uh...... Too many "Give Up's" in one lifetime, there would be no reason to wake up... Oh!! And Bacon... Can't live without bacon although I feel guilty every time I eat it and think of Arnold Ziffle...

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Thanks Angel..now I have the theme to Green Acres in my mind! When we had the hurricanes and started the ginny up, I could plug in the coffee pot and make coffee (to put in the carafe) but not the microwave,. I could use the fan and a light or the T.V. with the dvd player but not all at the same time. I felt just like Lisa!
My weight is still dropping..very very slowly. It's funny how it works..one day I am up two pounds the next I drop one then another, then another, and then up two. It goes like that for a month then all of a sudden..I am down four pounds. I guess it's the same way I put on pounds..but then they had names..spaghetti supper, chocolate cake ect.:rolleyes:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Well I found something new! Stress plays havoc with me readings. I was so upset yesterday with Mom's Dr. That I couldn't unwind and when I finally went to bed I couldn't shut down. This morning my readings were up..I didn't have anything yesterday that would cause a jump. And yes. I cleaned my meter! LOL
Tonight after a calmer day I am way down at 135 at 11pm. For me that's really good.
Here's hoping my days are calmer for a while!

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Yeah, I think a couple "off days" in order. You need more sleep, bring all your numbers into focus, give your head a break. I wonder about Mom being moved Monday, seems awfully soon, but they know what they're doing I suppose. Would be nice for you guys to veg out for a day.
More sleep=easier to watch diet and drop down a little, till somebody has a birthday.......my oldest Granddaughter 17 tomorrow, me up again!! It's about the frosting!! She is Katy, she's a Downs' child. Will even have to give up Sunday nap, oh no...

This will make you laugh. Couch Potato ~ be one!

couch potato.jpg

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Well I thought all those comercials about how milk does a body good and helps a person lose weight was crazy.. For months I've been testing it out, and if I eat a bowl of ice cream about once a week, along with my coffee and cappuchinos a number of times a day, I am losing weight faster than if I go without.. Also, I am a big fan of Chromium Picolinate to lose weight . You need to use 1200mg's a day though or it will not do anything.. Also, the Chromium Picolinate will help you with keeping your blood sugar down too..

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I got a new meter to check my blood! It seems to test higher then my old one. I would say..well the old one is off, but it always agreed with the Doctors. I am losing weight, so I know I am not going over my starch, fruit and sugar free stuff. (they have a lot of fat)
It's a real pain to try to get the sugar low enough for the new meter!
On the other hand, it does push me to go yet lower. I need to get my morning sugar down to 100 or lower. The night time reading is staying at 150 max. So much for vaping rasing my sugar..lol:p
The good thing about the meter is that it sips tiny amounts of blood, no more dripping a couple of drops on the test strip. That I like!:rolleyes:

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
I got a new meter to check my blood! It seems to test higher then my old one. I would say..well the old one is off, but it always agreed with the Doctors. I am losing weight, so I know I am not going over my starch, fruit and sugar free stuff. (they have a lot of fat)
It's a real pain to try to get the sugar low enough for the new meter!
On the other hand, it does push me to go yet lower. I need to get my morning sugar down to 100 or lower. The night time reading is staying at 150 max. So much for vaping rasing my sugar..lol:p
The good thing about the meter is that it sips tiny amounts of blood, no more dripping a couple of drops on the test strip. That I like!:rolleyes:

MaryKay,

How's the control number on the new one?? Yeah the drippy ones were always a pain and a waste of blood.. I have about 8 meters sitting here but I always go back to One Touch Ultra Mini's that I've got (Pink, Silver, and Green ones)... Oh btw.. If your blood sugars are high you lose weight to ;-)

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I am still battling the new meter, but my eating habits are out of whack. All last month I was eating on the fly and now I am not hungry at all. I need to get back to normal.
I am losing at such a slow rate I doubt I will feel any effects. But the weight isn't for my diabetes, it's for B.P. and to reduce my middle..which in the long run will help the diabetes. People who carry weight on the midsection, are diabetes and heart attact prone. Now I wish I had a big behind or thighs! :p They don't add to heart or Sugar problems!
I am just trying to get to my BMI. I don't care about looking 25 again. All my friends would hate me...:w00t:

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
I am still battling the new meter, but my eating habits are out of whack. All last month I was eating on the fly and now I am not hungry at all. I need to get back to normal.
I am losing at such a slow rate I doubt I will feel any effects. But the weight isn't for my diabetes, it's for B.P. and to reduce my middle..which in the long run will help the diabetes. People who carry weight on the midsection, are diabetes and heart attact prone. Now I wish I had a big behind or thighs! :p They don't add to heart or Sugar problems!
I am just trying to get to my BMI. I don't care about looking 25 again. All my friends would hate me...:w00t:

I was diagnosed when I was a teenager, ended up that I carried a streph throat virus for a number of years before getting my tonsils out that caused the diabetes.. Yale Medical Center had done studies afew years before and found out that type 1 diabetes was caused by a virus and not hereditary (although a close reletive with diabetes gives more a a chance for a child to become type 1), although we already proved that when I was diagnosed we went back 5 generations and no one in my family had been a diabetic at that time.. Thing is that type one and type two are really two seperate identities.. Type two is a pain, and I'm actually glad I'm a type one instead *LOL*

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
There seems to be better research done on type 1, Type 2 seems to be a crap shoot as far as controll goes. I can eat whatever I please barring sugar and I am fine as long as I eat it in small portions and balance thoughout the day. But that is hard for me, I never feel hunry until 2 or 3 in the afternoon and then I stay hungry until I fall asleep.
Vaping helps curb the snacking. I just wish I could talk myself into breakfast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread