Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I too recommend a separate ohm reader.

I find it much easier to build and install a coil if the rba is on an ohm reader, than on a mod.

I've also read that the USA ohm readers are top notch.

Technically, I agree with Badditude with everything.. he's quite a guru. However, I do slightly (and I mean slightly) disagree with this one for one reason.

The mod is the determination of how much volts is being outputted. If you build a .2 ohm coil, but the mod reads .3 ohms, the mod will output the voltage for .3.. no matter what the other ohm meter reads. So, if it's the device you're going to be using it on, I recommend using the mod even thought he ohm meter is done correctly. If I am in error, please let me know Badditude.

FSimon

Sep 25, 2015
There is more to a sweet spot than just heat.

Resistance IS IMPORTANT. Tweaking the resistance you can have the coil more efficient in consumption of juicd.

Finding the sweet spot wattage wise and power wise can rip through ejuice and battery life quickly. Carefully building to a resistance and adjusting the power level you can improve the taste use the Get longer life out of your battery and juice.

Yes mofs cone with resistance meters but they are not always accurate.

Accidentally pressing the firing button you can quickly butn your brand new wick or burn yourself with a hot coil. In the first few weeks new builders would be well served to borrow or buy an ohm meter until they find the sweet spot.

Not for a VW box it aint.. like I said.. heat and surface area... that's all. There is no magical resistance value that will alter the taste of your juice if you run it at the same surface area and surface heat..
The only valid point you have is battery life but I think you already knew my opinion on that when I said the industry is fooling people with the 'sub-ohm' tanks for VW mods concept..
So let me state that again.. resistance only matters on mechanical mods, since that becomes your 'up and down wattage button' there.. on VW mods you have actual buttons to do that.. and at the end of the day all you're left with is heat.. and surface area.. You can't f... physics.. you just can't, it aint subjective like taste :))
But anyway, we're getting off-topic here.. so if you care to continue this discussion I invite you to send me a PM :D

Cheers!

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I honestly trust building on a mod more than some of these cheap ohm readers. The ohm reader I got from coilmaster seems to be very finicky. For all intensive purposes, the readings should be close on either. If you are building so low to where .05 ohm difference means hand or no hand left, you shouldn't be building.

But at least on those cheap ohms meters you can't fire the coil vand hurt yourself with the coil burning your hand or burning the wick.

Even I don't recommend using an ohm meter for the rest of their days just in the beginning till they have experience and know how to build to their sweet spot.

dmwalker24

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Little Elm, TX
How accurate is using a device (SIGELEI FUCHAI 200W TC BOX MOD) for reading ohms on building coils?
do i need to buy a separate ohm reader?
im just startin building im looking in to buying a mutation silver v2.

I've never used anything but mods for ohm readers. I don't build anything scary enough to justify wanting super high accuracy. Plus if I toss the build on 2 or 3 different mods and it reads very close to the same thing it adds that little bit of verification.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
I would recommend an ohm meter for a newbie builder.

Many mods do not test the resistance until you fire. That will put however many watts it is set for through your new coil with no liquid to cool it. As a newbie you've got enough to try to remember without having to think whether the power the mod is set for will possibly burn out the coil on the first resistance reading. Even if the mod does test resistance before firing, that button is very easy to hit by accident or mistake.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I would recommend an ohm meter for a newbie builder.

Many mods do not test the resistance until you fire. That will put however many watts it is set for through your new coil with no liquid to cool it. As a newbie you've got enough to try to remember without having to think whether the power the mod is set for will possibly burn out the coil on the first resistance reading. Even if the mod does test resistance before firing, that button is very easy to hit by accident or mistake.

I have been saying much the sane thing but get few listeners.

spalife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2014
Most of the current crop of mod's do test resistance without firing...
when the atomizer is attached to the mod.

In fact the ancient (in vaping years) Vamo's too had the option to test the resistance
without the need to fire the mod.

As per testing the resistance reporting of the mod,
a good household multi meter is many a times better and accurate than most current
single function ohm readers.

OHM meters do make it easier to build on ...other than that,
steam-engine, your mod and a multi meter is more than what you need to start building.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Most of the current crop of mod's do test resistance without firing...
when the atomizer is attached to the mod.

In fact the ancient (in vaping years) Vamo's too had the option to test the resistance
without the need to fire the mod.

As per testing the resistance reporting of the mod,
a good household multi meter is many a times better and accurate than most current
single function ohm readers.

OHM meters do make it easier to build on ...other than that,
steam-engine, your mod and a multi meter is more than what you need to start building.

I agree with you about the multimeter. Much more accurate than ohm meter and certainly more accurate than the meter in a mod

Ohms meter are so much easier. They can demonstrate the resistance of the coil without firing it. They can also test your mod under load too.

spalife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2014
I agree with you about the multimeter. Much more accurate than ohm meter and certainly more accurate than the meter in a mod

Ohms meter are so much easier. They can demonstrate the resistance of the coil without firing it. They can also test your mod under load too.

I completely agree.

If you have the money to spend and want ease of use something to hold your atomizer...buy a OHM Meter.
Otherwise steam-engine, your mod, a multi meter are more than sufficient for building a coil.

At the end of the day the mod will treat the coil in the atomizer at the resistance it reads
(not the ohm meter / multimeter readings) and fires at your desired temperature / watts / volts.

Have you noticed we are ending up with n number of devices, gadgets and tools which are making vaping
more of a science project rather a tool to help us get over our tobacco cravings.

P.S.
How does a OHM Meter test a mod load ?

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I completely agree.

If you have the money to spend and want ease of use something to hold your atomizer...buy a OHM Meter.
Otherwise steam-engine, your mod, a multi meter are more than sufficient for building a coil.

At the end of the day the mod will treat the coil in the atomizer at the resistance it reads
(not the ohm meter / multimeter readings) and fires at your desired temperature / watts / volts.

Have you noticed we are ending up with n number of devices, gadgets and tools which are making vaping
more of a science project rather a tool to help us get over our tobacco cravings.

P.S.
How does a OHM Meter test a mod load ?

I am not an electrical genius so treat my answer with skepticism.

Most ohms meters have two connectors. The mod screws into one and the atty screws onto the other. The one the atty screws onto checks the resistance. The one the mod screws onto Fire the mod and it shows what the mod us firing under load. It may be reporting the voltage and help you check the voltage drop I assume.

spalife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2014
I think you meant resistance drop.
Resistance drop can occur both at the Atomizer and at the Mod end.

Load testing is another ball game....
The variables involved are different
- type of battery used and CDR and C Ratings
- temperature control settings
- voltage / wattage settings
- The chipset used by the mod and its efficiency
- coil wires used by the atomizer

I am curious about the OHM Meter you mention which allows you to connect BOTH the
Mod and the Atomizer.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I think you meant resistance drop.
Resistance drop can occur both at the Atomizer and at the Mod end.

Load testing is another ball game....
The variables involved are different
- type of battery used and CDR and C Ratings
- temperature control settings
- voltage / wattage settings
- The chipset used by the mod and its efficiency
- coil wires used by the atomizer

I am curious about the OHM Meter you mention which allows you to connect BOTH the
Mod and the Atomizer.

You can only connect one at a time. You can test both but only one at a time.

The one I had came with the Coil Master s
Zippered case. That has the ohm meter needle nose pliers side cutter to snip eire two sets of tweezers. And a few more odds and ends.

spalife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2014
You can only connect one at a time. You can test both but only one at a time.

The one I had came with the Coil Master s
Zippered case. That has the ohm meter needle nose pliers side cutter to snip eire two sets of tweezers. And a few more odds and ends.

One at a time....ok.

A quick google search throws up

You meant the voltage the mod is firing at if the mod is connected to the ohm meter &
the ohm's of the atomizer if it is connected to the ohm meter.

I am not pushing a multi meter ....each one his own comfort
but ....there is always a but ....all of that you can do with with a multi meter too.
- what volts your mod is firing at
- what volts your batteries are charged to
- what is the ohm's of your coils
- what are the ohm's for a length of a wire etc.,

Btw any fine day a good multi meter such as a fluke which i have is more accurate than the
ohm meters i have seen.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
How accurate is using a device (SIGELEI FUCHAI 200W TC BOX MOD) for reading ohms on building coils?
do i need to buy a separate ohm reader?
im just startin building im looking in to buying a mutation silver v2.
Grimm Green just did a review on that mod and he questioned the accuracy of it's ohms reading function.

JDC1958

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
I bought a ohm reader for building that will also fire up the coils. I am very new to this but like the idea of building for one atty while vaping my other one. I only have one box mod to vape with but will soon have a new RDA to go along with my RTA.

Its not that I don't trust my Sig 75 and its readings. When I build my first coils this weekend, I want to try and keep it as simplistic and convenient as possible.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I'd recommend a multimeter for a new builder, I picked one up at Walmart for twenty bucks when I first started. Once you've been building for a while you'll know what your build should be reading on your device and when the time comes and your device reads a number that doesn't seem right for your build then you pull out the multimeter to do a double check. I personally don't trust ohm readers, I've had three of them and they all were really finicky. Granted they weren't top tier. Until one has learned what different gauges and diameters will produce one should be double checking, if not with a multimeter then at least with an ohm reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread