Developments around li-ion cells

Axxe

Feb 23, 2024
Hello everyone,

first post here (in three parts) - but long-time lurker in this (sub-)forum :) And now finally registered as I have questions about li-ion batteries, hoping someone has some thoughts on them. I just read the forum rules and concluded that to comply with rule 13c I need to split it into three different threads to avoid a cluttered thread with a meaningless title.
I apologize if that was incorrect and ask for merging the threads if that was the case.

So in this thread only the short questions to satisfy my curiosity about the whole topic (an interest that was incited by Mooch's awesome YouTube videos some years ago).

1) I saw that there are now legit 18650s with more than 3500 mAh, up to 4000 mAh. I always thought that ~ 3500 mAh capacity was the physical barrier and that no 18650 could ever have a bigger capacity. Has there been some technological breakthrough to make those higher capacity cells possible? Will the development continue or are 18650 with more than 4000 mAh impossible as the barrier of physics is now reached with them?

2) I was surprised to see on the current versions of the datasheets for some Molicel batteries that they have obviously hopped onto the "not for vape" train despite Molicel embracing usage of their batteries in ecigs in the past. Does anyone know when and why they changed their position on that? Or do I just have that incorrectly in mind and they never were OK with usage of their cells in ecigs?

3) I know that storing a fully charged li-ion cell for a longer period of time (perhaps even top-off charging them from time to time to keep them at 100%) is really unhealthy for the batteries. But is that also the case for NiMH-cells and NiMH-LowSelfDischarge-cells? Or is that something that is exclusive to li-ion?

I know, these things don't have a real practical relevance. This is just out of my interest for that topic (that was incited by Mooch's YouTube videos some years ago).

Any thoughts on that would be highly appreciated and thanks for reading!

Greetings,

Axxe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread