Denatured Alcohol for cleaning Threads on battery connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
Most recommend using 99% alcohol for cleaning these areas. A friend gave me a bottle of Denatured Alcohol, and I used it to clean the threads on the battery connections and the Pin on my PV. I noticed it took off the gunk and cleaned the battery pin and threads better than 99% alcohol. Any thoughts on this, and using it instead of the 99% alcohol to clean the external parts of PV's. :confused:

3rdear11

Jul 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
I read elsewhere on here that might not be best. Drinking and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol are ok to clean with. Denatured is supposed to be dangerous. I use denatured in my camp stove...

Really hot water has worked fine for me. I just don't let anything get itself too gunky before giving it some preventative maintenance.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Using anything that is not safe to drink just isn't worth the risk. Use grain alcohol (ethanol) or warm water.

Any other type of alcohol, including isopropyl, is not safe to drink so likely shouldn't be used anywhere it could possibly get into the vape. The quantities involved would be minuscule but why take any risk?

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
Using anything that is not safe to drink just isn't worth the risk. Use grain alcohol (ethanol) or warm water.

Any other type of alcohol, including isopropyl, is not safe to drink so likely shouldn't be used anywhere it could possibly get into the vape. The quantities involved would be minuscule but why take any risk?

Duly noted, and agree with both comments above. 99% and stuff like Everclear (Grain Alcohol) are difficult to find in my area. 91% iso. alcohol is only one available. I always let stuff dry fully before use, and only for external cleaning. Will pass on the denatured stuff and just use 91% on external parts of the MOd's, e.g. Battery contacts, etc. Of course, I only use warm water and sometimes Vodka on my tanks and atty's. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread