Day 94: What is the best way to quit vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Kaneki

Mar 28, 2019
Hello, so it has been 94 days since I switched from smoking to vaping, I've been vaping MTL 9 mg ever since, and now I want to try quitting. As of now my vape use has decreased significantly, I use around 1.5 ml a day, and I want to ask, would it be better if I continue decreasing my use or should I lower my nicotine (since I know habit is part of the experience) ?

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
I don't really have a good answer, because I've never tried to quit vaping. I would think that it would be better to continue reducing the amount you vape. I used to have a friend that tried to quit by reducing his nicotine. He thought that if he could get down to 0mg juice it would be easy to quit. He found that he wanted to vape just as much, even without nic.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Hello, so it has been 94 days since I switched from smoking to vaping, I've been vaping MTL 9 mg ever since, and now I want to try quitting. As of now my vape use has decreased significantly, I use around 1.5 ml a day, and I want to ask, would it be better if I continue decreasing my use or should I lower my nicotine (since I know habit is part of the experience) ?

Everyone is different. It's worth a shot to try to just stop and see how it goes. If that isn't working for you then just reduce nic (or frequency of how often you vape) and try to stop again after you reduce the intake a little.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I’d just continue to reduce the amount I vape until I stopped. It seems it’s going pretty good for you if you’re considering quitting vaping so soon. I think you should be flexible as well, if it seems hard or you find yourself craving a cigarette try reducing nicotine first then amount of vaping. Whatever keeps you off cigarettes is the best route so don’t be afraid to take it slower or if you feel you need to raise the nicotine % you vape. Don’t get discouraged, stay positive and before you know it, you’ll look back and laugh that you used to hang with the loser vaper crowd. Best of luck to you and I look forward to the day I don’t have to comment in one of your postings. Because you’ve reached your goals not because you will be laughing with non-vapers about the vapers you used to hang with here. JK of course, I’m getting tired so my posts may start to be more rambling then anything helpful as the sleep meds kick in and I continue typing. I’ll wake up in about 4-5 hours with my mod and tank poking me in the ribs and my phone lying next to me with a nonsensical post half written out just waiting for me to click the post reply button. So I’ll wonder, do I send this reply to the internet so it can live on for all times or do I delete it so all those who read it will not become stupider for having read it. Decisions decisions. :drool::glug:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Keep it simple, just reduce every aspect of vaping from sub ohm to standard ohm, nic, bad flavoring and amount of time vaping all at once or gradually. For me, Could end up vaping unflavored once a week, then give it all up.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Whatever you decide, do not get rid of your gear. A fair number have decided to quit, said heartfelt goodbyes here, quit vaping and gave their gear away. Sooner or later a stressful situation, or one heck of a party, comes up and they have a cigarette. One cig eventually turns in to a pack a day, then maybe two. Eventually they come back looking for help. (Kudos to them for coming back! :thumb:)

Some of them have been gone and quit for two years. And from almost all accounts it's harder to quit the second time around. Just keep your gear, if the worst, or best, happens you can vape instead of falling back into the BT trap.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

If I were in your situation, I would reduce my nic concentration a couple of times before trying to quit vaping. I would go to say 7 ml for a few weeks, 5 for a few more and then 2 for a few more. Then if I felt ready, I would try quitting.

This is of course just me and my opinion, you know yourself much better than I do.

Best of luck with it :cool:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Whatever you decide, do not get rid of your gear. A fair number have decided to quit, said heartfelt goodbyes here, quit vaping and gave their gear away. Sooner or later a stressful situation, or one heck of a party, comes up and they have a cigarette. One cig eventually turns in to a pack a day, then maybe two. Eventually they come back looking for help. (Kudos to them for coming back! :thumb:)

Some of them have been gone and quit for two years. And from almost all accounts it's harder to quit the second time around. Just keep your gear, if the worst, or best, happens you can vape instead of falling back into the BT trap.

Wishing you the best of luck!

That’s exactly what I was going to say.

94 days is a great accomplishment, don’t get me wrong, but being overconfident could send you right back to smoking.

Keep your gear, keep it in working order, and keep it on you.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I stopped vaping and was nicotine free for a few months. I'm not gonna offer you suggestions because you know yourself better than I do. Here's how I did it. Bare in mind I consider myself a serious nicotine addict.

I lowered nic content down to 6mg from 12mg, for a few months, diluted down to 4mg for a few days, maybe a week. I then vaped nic free liquid and used a nic patch. 7mg patch for 4 days, half of a 7mg patch for a week, quarter for a few hours a day then stopped with the patches.

So being totally nicotine free I only continued vaping nic free liquid for a maybe a week then stopped vaping entirely. I used menthol liquids for the entire tapering off process and when I stopped vaping kept my taste buds busy with normal mint gum for a wee while.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I just recently went 10 days nic free just to see what would happen. Nothing happened.
I was meant to go 14 days nic free and simply because I was curious to see what problems/situations/experiences arose.
After 10 days nothing popped up out of the ordinary, so I just cut the experiment short and went back to vaping.
I returned to it at 2mg down from the 3mg that I was previously vaping. I dont think much of 2mg tbh, 3mg feels about right.

I take 2days nic free every 10 or 14days. I have on a couple of occasions over the last year gone 10 to 15 days nic free. None of it is with the intention to quit vaping. It just keeps my tolerance to nic in check.

I guess all Im saying is put the vape down for a day or two and see what happens and how you feel about it. Nothing bad will happen and your vape is always there if for some reason you dont do well.
If it doesnt work out just go back to the vape at a reduced level. After 2 days nic free 6mg will feel like 9mg, for a while.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    My brother quit smoking once I got him on the vape. He lowered his nic until he got to zero and found the returns weren't worth the hassle. Also helped that his friends were non smokers and told him he looked like a crackhead or a professional working hard for the money.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2018

I think what works best is different for different people. I would reduce the nicotine as long as you don't start vaping more. Then try vaping less. Or maybe just quit cold turkey. I've been vaping for about 1 1/2 years and I had started with the intention to quit. I started at 2ml of 50mg/ml per day. Now I vape 2ml of 5mg/ml per day. Been at that strength for a while. Any less and I vape more. So now I'm trying to vape less often. It's not easy.

Good luck!

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I've gotta post to follow.

If someone has the magic path, I'm all in. Vaping's great, compared to smoking, but I plan on quitting one day myself. Who needs an unnecessary habit?

But then, no one had the magic path for quitting smokes - too individual. We can all chime in with advice (and it can't hurt), but I'm guessing over 99.9999 percent of replies are going to be from people still vaping, so........

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread