Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
That is not a tin hat topic. It threatens a large change in world society. And people are generally resistant to change. They are scared to change. Meanwhile, we are working to reduce the threats that are real:

batteries stressed beyond their limits by people who don't know enough about battery safety.

Chemicals released by dry hits.

The diversity of people in their tolerance of VG, PG, nicotine, and flavorings.

Problems with triacetin and other flavoring ingredients which are dangerous in large quantities, including flavoring oils.

We know about all those, and are working on it, while more and more people are coming to regard vaping as a huge unstructured guinea pig project, with minimal risks and large benefits. To deprive people of the benefits of quitting smoking by first requiring highly structured clinical trials is ethically unsound. And the tobacco and pharmaceutical industries urge this first, not because they are ethicists, but because there is a threat to their profit line. People, deprived of vaping, could die before the data is in. We are willing to take chances; many of us have failed many times before before, but succeeded with this without much more than a single look backwards, in awe.

I'm curious, what is the danger of triacetin? It's not a diketone; I haven't seen anything about triacetin, and I'd really like to know, since once of the new flavors I just got (TFA whipped cream) contains it.

thx!
Andria

tFOrRESTee

Nov 3, 2014
USA
I'm curious, what is the danger of triacetin? It's not a diketone; I haven't seen anything about triacetin, and I'd really like to know, since once of the new flavors I just got (TFA whipped cream) contains it.

thx!
Andria

Here

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/335875-lets-talk-about-triacetin.html

and here

Final report on the safety assessment of triacetin. - PubMed - NCBI

Or, that's what you really want to know.

"Triacetin was not toxic to animals in acute oral or dermal exposures, nor was it toxic in short-term inhalation or parenteral studies, and subchronic feeding and inhalation studies."

No one has done long term study yet, we will be the guinea pigs. :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Here

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/335875-lets-talk-about-triacetin.html

and here

Final report on the safety assessment of triacetin. - PubMed - NCBI

Or, that's what you really want to know.

"Triacetin was not toxic to animals in acute oral or dermal exposures, nor was it toxic in short-term inhalation or parenteral studies, and subchronic feeding and inhalation studies."

No one has done long term study yet, we will be the guinea pigs. :)

Ok, sounds good to me. I'm quite paranoid of the diketones because of the associated potential lung damage -- I have asthma, so I know exactly how it feels to not be able to breathe, and it's TERRIFYING; I want nothing that could be that dangerous to my lungs. But so far the triacetin seems fairly inert, particularly in minute quantity as it's typically found in flavors.

And thx for the link to the 2012 thread; now I FINALLY have my answer about Zoidman's "title" -- another Tull fan, as I suspected from the moment I saw it! ;)

Andria

tFOrRESTee

Nov 3, 2014
USA
According to webmd.com, we should ban both indoor and outdoor breathing due to the harmful effect of air pollution. So next time if you hear someone talk about ecig is bad, tell them to hold their breath and read the following. :)

Indoor air pollution can affect you at home, work, or even places you visit. It can increase your risk of a respiratory disease, such as asthma,allergies, and lung cancer. Indoor air pollution can be worse in winter, when windows are shut tight and less fresh air can circulate. A study found that three pollutants commonly found in houses have the greatest effect on health:1
• Formaldehyde, which is released mainly by building materials.
• Acrolein, which comes from heating cooking oil to high temperatures and from cigarette smoke.
• Tiny particles, called respirable particulates, that can get into the lungs. A common source of respirable particulates is tobacco smoke.

Woodstoves and gas ranges
Woodstoves that are not properly maintained and vented can give off tiny particles (particulates) and gases, including carbon monoxide, nitrogen, and hydrocarbons. Children in homes heated with woodstoves are at increased risk for respiratory problems. Gas ranges, particularly when they are not well-vented or when they are used as a source of heat, may produce nitrogen dioxide, which can cause respiratory problems. Consider changing to an electric stove.
If your gas stove has a persistent yellow flame, it may be improperly adjusted. Ask your gas company to adjust the burners so the flame tips are blue. If you're planning to buy a new gas range or stove, consider one that does not use a pilot light.
If you use a woodstove, make sure the stove doors fit tightly. Burn only aged or cured wood that is completely dry. Never burn pressure-treated wood because it is treated with chemicals.
Have chimneys, flues, and furnaces inspected each year.

Building materials
Exposure to building materials, products used for home improvement, and textiles can cause health problems. For example, particleboard, insulation, carpet adhesives, and other household products emitformaldehyde, which can cause nausea, respiratory problems, dry or inflamed skin, and eye irritation. Newly built homes and the confined spaces of mobile homes can be a particular problem. Using environmentally safe products—such as paint that contains a low level of or no volatile organic compounds (VOCs)—can reduce the chemical load on your body.

Sick building syndrome
Experts coined the term "sick building syndrome" to describe acute symptoms that occur only during time spent in a particular building and that cannot be explained by any specific illness or cause. Symptoms include headache, dry cough, dry or itchy skin, dizziness, nausea, difficulty concentrating, fatigue, sensitivity to odors, and irritation of the eyes, nose, or throat. Typically the symptoms improve after you leave the building.
Poor ventilation that restricts fresh air flow inside can be a cause of sick building syndrome. Carpet, adhesives, upholstery, manufactured wood, pesticides, and cleaning fluids can give off volatile organic compounds (VOCs), including formaldehyde. High concentrations of VOCs can cause cancer. Unvented gas and kerosene space heaters, woodstoves, fireplaces, and gas stoves can produce carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide. These gases can harm your health.
Also, chemicals that get into a building from the outside can cause sick building syndrome. Pollutants from cars and trucks and exhaust from plumbing vents and building machinery can enter a building through vents.

Bacteria, molds, viruses, and other biological contaminants
Bacteria and molds can breed in stagnant water that builds up in humidifiers, drain pans, and ducts, or where water collects on carpet, ceiling tiles, and insulation. Humidifier fever is an illness caused by toxins from microorganisms that grow not only in large heating and cooling systems in buildings but also in home systems and humidifiers.Legionella pneumophila is an indoor bacterium that can causeLegionnaires' disease.
Some viruses can survive on household surfaces, such as counters or floors, or they can get spread through the air when an infected person sneezes or coughs. You can help control viruses by:
• Cleaning household surfaces with a disinfectant.
• Having adequate ventilation in your house.
• Having anyone with a viral infection, such as a cold or the flu, coughor sneeze into the bend of the elbow or into a tissue.
Pet dander, pollen, dust mites, molds, and rat and mouse urine are allergens that can cause asthma attacks, allergic rhinitis, and other lung problems. Symptoms of illness caused by biological contaminants include sneezing, watery eyes, shortness of breath, lethargy, dizziness, and digestive problems.
Exposure early in life to indoor allergens such as molds may increase the risk of allergies or asthma.5 Allergies to molds can also makeasthma attacks worse or cause other breathing problems.
Keep your home clean and as free from dust as possible to help reduce allergens. There are many ways to control dust and dust mites in your home, such as washing bedding in hot water to kill dust mites and eliminating furnishings, such as drapes, that collect dust. Also, there are many steps you can take to control animal dander and other pet allergens.
Exhaust fans that vent to the outdoors and are installed in kitchens and bathrooms can help get rid of moisture that allows microorganisms, including molds, to grow. When modern building materials get wet, they provide an ideal place for the growth of molds, which can make asthma attacks worse and may cause other respiratory symptoms. Ventilating attic and crawl spaces and keeping humidity levels below 50% can help prevent moisture buildup in building materials. There are other ways to control indoor molds, such as preventing leaks, removing wet materials, storing fireplace wood outside the home, and using a dehumidifier during humid weather.

Household products
Many of the products you use to clean your home or use for hobbies and home improvement projects contain potentially hazardous chemicals. Some can be toxic and in sufficient doses can cause eye and respiratory problems, headaches, dizziness, visual problems, and memory impairment. One of the most important ways you can protect yourself is by following the instructions on the label. When you use cleaning or other products, be sure to open windows or use an exhaust fan to provide good ventilation. Never mix household chemicals, such as chlorine bleach and ammonia. Some mixtures can create toxic fumes that can be fatal.
It's better to use environmentally safe products. Vinegar, lemon juice, boric acid, or baking soda can be used instead of store-bought household cleaners. And they are less damaging to you and to the environment.
Be especially careful with products containing methylene chloride, including paint strippers, adhesive removers, and aerosol spray paints. If you use products that contain this chemical, make sure you have adequate ventilation or use them outdoors, if possible. Also, wear gloves to avoid skin contact. But whenever you can, use environmentally safe products instead.
Avoid exposure to benzene, which can cause cancer. Benzene is found in tobacco smoke, fuels, and paint supplies. Also, try to limit your exposure to newly dry-cleaned clothing or furnishings. Dry-cleaned goods may emit perchloroethylene (also known as tetrachloroethylene) and trichloroethylene. These chemicals may cause skin rashes, headaches, and dizziness.6 If your clothes emit a strong odor when you pick them up from the cleaners, they may not have been dried properly and can release more of this chemical. After removing the protective plastic from the clothes, hang them outside, if possible. Consider finding a dry cleaner that uses less toxic chemicals.

Asbestos
Asbestos is an insulating material commonly used from the 1950s to 1970s for soundproofing and to cover floors and ceilings, water pipes, and heating ducts. When it becomes crumbly or frayed, asbestos fibers can be released into the air. Breathing asbestos fibers may cause lung cancer, asbestosis (scarring of the lung tissue), ormesothelioma.

Radon
Radon is a colorless, odorless radioactive gas that can enter your home through cracks in concrete walls and floors and through floor drains. The most common source of radon is uranium that normally exists in the soil or rock on which homes are built. Problems show up when the concentration of radon builds up in a home or building. Both old or new homes can have problems with radon even if they don't have a basement.
Exposure to radon gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer. (Tobacco smoke is the leading cause.) The risk of radon-associated lung cancer is much higher for smokers than nonsmokers.7
You cannot smell or see radon. But it's easy to test for it with a do-it-yourself kit available in hardware stores or through the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). For more information, see the topic Radon.

Outdoor air pollution

Polluted air comes from many sources, such as factories, cars, buses, trucks, and power plants. And there are other sources that you may not think of, such as dry cleaners, wildfires, and dust. Dirty air is a threat to your health. And it also damages crops, trees, water, and animals.

There are at least six major components of air pollution:
• Ozone. Ozone is a gas that exists at ground level as well as miles above the earth. It's made by a chemical reaction between nitrogen oxides and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the presence of heat and sunlight. "Good" ozone occurs naturally about 10 to 30 miles above the earth's surface. There, in the stratosphere, it forms a layer that protects the earth's surface from the sun's harmful rays. At ground level, "bad" ozone (smog) exists. Exhaust from vehicles, industrial emissions, gasoline vapors, and chemical solvents are major sources of nitrogen oxides and VOCs. Add sunlight and hot weather to the mix, and harmful concentrations of ozone may develop. Because of the heat factor, ground-level ozone is a summertime air pollutant that can be dangerous, especially for people with respiratory illnesses. Problems include:
• Irritation of the lungs.
• Coughing, wheezing, and pain when taking a deep breath, andbreathing problems while exercising.
• Permanent lung damage from repeated exposure.
• Aggravated asthma, increased susceptibility to pneumonia andbronchitis, and reduced lung capacity.​

• Particulates. Particulates include dust, dirt, soot, smoke, and liquid droplets found in the air. They come from many sources, such as vehicles, factories, construction sites, unpaved roads, and burning wood. Other particulates are formed when gases from burning fuels react with water vapor and sunlight. This can result from the combustion of fuels in motor vehicles and from industrial and power plants. Very small particulates that can get into your lungs are especially harmful to your health and may increase your risk of lung cancer and heart problems.8, 9 Particulates in the air you breathe can cause:
• Asthma attacks.
• Chronic bronchitis.
• Coughing and difficult or painful breathing.
• Reduced lung function.
• Eye, nose, and throat irritation.​

• Carbon monoxide. In cities with lots of traffic, most of the carbon monoxide put into the air comes from vehicle exhaust. It also comes from manufacturing processes, wood burning, and forest fires. Indoor sources include cigarettes and space heaters. Carbon monoxide reduces the body's ability to deliver oxygen to tissues and organs, such as the heart and brain. It is especially dangerous for people who have heart problems. Carbon monoxide can be fatal to those exposed to extremely high levels. Every year carbon monoxide poisoning is a leading cause of deaths from toxic chemicals. People with carbon monoxide poisoning may have:
• Headaches, irritability, or loss of consciousness.
• Difficulty working, learning, or doing complex tasks.
• Aggravation of heart problems, such as angina, heart failure, andcoronary artery disease.​

• Nitrogen dioxide. When mixed with other particles in the air, nitrogen dioxide can often be seen as a reddish brown layer over many urban areas. Sources are fuels burned by vehicles, electric utilities, and industrial plants. Nitrogen dioxide is one of the nitrogen oxides, a group of highly reactive gases that contain various amounts of nitrogen and oxygen. Studies show that nitrogen dioxide may increase your risk of heart problems, such as heart failure.9Nitrogen oxides cause many problems, including:
• Breathing problems.
• Acid rain, which is made when nitrogen oxides and sulfur dioxide react with other substances in the air and form acids. The acids then fall to earth as rain, snow, dry particles, or fog.
• Toxic chemicals. Nitrogen oxides mix with common organic chemicals and even ozone to create toxic chemicals that can cause biological mutations.
• Visibility impairment. Nitrogen dioxide and nitrate particles block light transmission and reduce visibility in urban areas.​

• Sulfur dioxide. This gas is formed when fuels containing sulfur are burned. Examples are when coal and oil burn, when gasoline is extracted from oil, or when metals are extracted from ore. Sulfur dioxide is put into the air when fossil fuel is burned, such as by coal-fired power plants. Other sources are industries that create products from metallic ore, coal, and crude oil or those that burn coal or oil, such as petroleum refineries or metal processing facilities. Sulfur dioxide causes:
• Health problems for people with asthma and heart conditions.
• Acid rain.
• Damage to forests and crops.
• Damage to fish in streams and lakes.​

• Lead. Leaded gasoline used to be the main source of lead in the air. But because leaded fuels have been phased out, the main sources of lead emissions are metals-processing facilities, especially lead smelters. Lead may cause serious health problems, including:
• Damage to kidneys, liver, brain, nerves, and other organs. Lead may also cause osteoporosis and reproductive problems. Excessive exposure can cause seizures, intellectual disability, behavioral disorders, memory problems, and mood changes. Low levels of lead cause brain and nerve damage in young children and fetuses, which can lead to learning problems and low IQ.
• High blood pressure and increases in heart disease.
• Anemia.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
The only worries I have about vaping is my batteries being dead or out of juice. Neither very likely to happen

I don't have issues with those things either; my real fear is that the idiots in charge will do something to it that makes it difficult for us to continue vaping as we've become accustomed. I accept that it might be DIFFERENT than what we know, but different doesn't necessarily mean bad; I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that somehow we'll be able to carry on.

Andria

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Take a look at these numbers ...

PMI.com Earnings Results

Check the rake of you local gubmint on tobacco tax

Factor in the grantz for the ANTZ ...

A whole industry lives off you smoking
Another whole industry lives off you tryin to quit smoking.
Most gubmints are over their ears in hock, so your tobacco tax's already spent till the year 2060.

Expect them to get off the gravy train without raising hell ?

Didn't think so.

And someone once said: the first casualty in any war is the truth...

Us vapers are already lost to them - so they're hard at work keeping the rest of customer base from finding out.

No surprises here. Actually, I keep hoping they laying it on even thicker and heavier - eventually people with half a brain left thn might get into thinking...

That...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...illion-sales-blu-ecigs-first-half-2014-a.html

And that...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...decline-western-europe-first-half-2014-a.html

And that...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...um-sales-drop-rise-electronic-cigarettes.html

And that...

No surprise that something that's safer and more effective is getting trashed. Nothing so ironic as seeing a smoker hacking away while commenting on the "dangers" of vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread