Dallas to include E-Cigs in smoking ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazybry79

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
This thread was started in the CAASA forum by halfevildruid. Thank you for the find.

If this has been posted here already, please feel free to remove.

Electronic cigarettes bypass the smoking ban in Dallas bars - KDAF

In short, the city is considering including the electronic cigarettes into the smoking ban. Their thoughts are based on the FDA's (biased, loaded, weighted, and almost downright tampered) preliminary findings.

IMHO, we may want to voice our concerns to them. I know there are some very informative and persuasive people on here, and I feel that the City of Dallas' governing bodies should get some input from some of us.

I do not know the correct avenues for this, but I have come up with this so far...

Possibly people could send an email to the mentioned department(s) / legeslative personel handling and advis-oring over this.

City od Dallas Code complience - http://www.dallascityhall.com/code_comp ... index.html

Director-
Joey Zapata

There is a link to email the mayor AND all of the concilmen at one time - E-Mail to City of Dallas Mayor and City Council

Thoughts?

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
This would be a good opportunity for e-cig users living near Dallas to make sure their voices are heard (in person if possible). And considering that visitors to the city who use e-cigarettes would be impacted by a ban, I see no reason why members of this forum, in general, shouldn't voice their objections as well.

Let's do this folks.. your town may be next

Contact Mayor and City Council of Dallas

IANAN

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
I guess what gets me even more is that new studies are indicating that bans in dense urban areas areas are not effective at all!!! The Journal of tobacco and Nicotine Research just recently put out a study that was conducted 1.5 years after NY banned smoking in workplaces and in public. The results were that even though NY had the lowest number of smokers of any city in the US and the most stiffest smoking laws the exposure to second hand smoke was estimated to be the highest of any other city in the US.

Even better are the studies in Australia, California, Florida, New York, Oregon, England, Wales and Scotland (There are actually 10 studies that showed no decrease in heart disease) that indicated no decrease in heart disease after the ban... The IOM report commissioned by the CDC was criticized for omitting the majority of studies - More on that here A CDC second-hand smokescreen

And then the addition of E-Cig bans ignores the studies done by the Journal of tobacco and Nicotine presented in Dublin and Health New Zealand Ruyan Sponsored testing that showed them to not have toxic effects and showed them to be effective as cessation devices. And then you have the FDA results itself, not their press release, that only found 1 out of 18 carts had DEG at slightly above 1% but the other 17 didn't have any. In fact the PV had lower levels of toxins than the Approved NRT- the Nicotrol Inhaler. The FDA study really points out some QA issues with some manufactures that need to be addressed- Just like when we had some QA issues with some peanut butter makers a while ago (The PB had E-Coli in it).

So my question here is what is the real purpose and motivation behind the ban? It isn't public health.

Last edited:
I am working on a snail mail letter for the Dallas city counsel. I am a fellow Texan whose turned to vaping. Not to get around any smoking bans, but simply for health reasons. My husband and I both vape and many visitors of our city are from the city of Dallas and surrounding areas. I know it's just a matter of time before the city of San Antonio follows. I vape freely in Alamo Plaza while my hubby works. I cannot imagine anyone telling me what I cannot do or buy as a tax paying adult.

It's frustrating when government puts more effort into something as minor as vaping compared to alcohol abuse and cancer causing tobacco. Why is vaping such a big deal yet, the head shops can sell obvious drug supplies and stuff like Salvia to young people. I know the answer all boils down to money, but it's very frustrating.

My letter my fall on deaf ears but at least I am attempting to help some. Heck, I even wrote a letter to the Governor of California to help the cause. I just wish there was some way to convince someone to do a controlled long term studies on vaping versus cigarettes. I would really like to see the public's reaction when a long term study shows the benefits of vaping for smokers, and those who are around them. Anyway (stepping down off my soap box)

*Fingers crossed others will write in*

I heard where the state of Texas as a whole was looking at e-cigs but, I cannot seem to find any information to confirm this. I am praying it's a rumor.

hyperdeficit

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Lucas, Texas
This is my letter to them, feel free to copy and paste it and send it.

Please do not include electronic cigarettes in the upcoming smoking ban.

Electronic cigarettes according to a recent study in switzerland, are a safer smoking alternative and give off no dangerous secondhand smoke.

Electronic cigarettes have a nicotine liquid that is composed of four basic parts. water flavor nicotine and propelenye glycol. all of these ingredients are FDA approved. propeleyne glucol is an ingredient found in many foods and medicines that are also fda approved.

cigarettes are not allowed in public areas because they give off harmful second hand smoke and smell. Electronic cigarettes have no dangerous second hand smoke and are not bad for the user of them.

This was all proven in the recent study by switzerland scientists, and all of the ingredients are fda approved.

Is it just the sight of somebody exhaling flavored water vapor that is repulsive enough to require a ban?

END OF LETTER

Please everyone even if you do not live in dallas please send a message. We dodged a bullet in california and i would hate for dallas to be the city we fail in.

Everybody from california owes it to us to send a letter to our mayor. many of us emailed arnold when california was looking at banning e cigs. no offense to californians

here is the link to email them

E-Mail to City of Dallas Mayor and City Council

Chasm

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Michigan
Just kind of gets me how they just automatically assume smokers are turning to e-cigs for the purpose of getting around smoking bans. Plus, I don't even see how they can lump the two together in terms of second-hand "smoke", this is the basis for smoking bans, right?

1. There are some in-your-face types who want to get around smoking bans. Some of us aren't so in-your-face but simply want to satisfy our cravng for nicotine without all the negative consequences of smoking analogs.

2. Someone should make it clear to smokers, non-smokers and even our fellow vapers that not only is there no SHS (2nd hand smoke), there isn't even any FHS (First Hand Smoke)!!

Hello,

I am new to this forum and live near Dallas.

Although I used to live within the Dallas city limits, I no longer would want
to live in a city that has criminalized one of our personal freedoms to the
extent that those of us who still enjoy an occasional analog after a meal
must lower ourselves to the level of a dog who must go outside to scratch himself.
(BTW: I love my dog and he can scratch inside if he wants to)

I don't even eat in Dallas restaurants when I can help it, due to the smoking restrictions.
There are plenty places in surrounding cities and towns which still ask,
as they greet you at the door, "...smoking or non-smoking ?"
I offer my business to those proprietors instead.

This proposed move to ban the use of e-cigs in public places where burning tobacco is already prohibited, is simply political grandstanding on a local level and pandering to special interest groups to garner favor next election cycle. They don't give a hoot about whether their constituency and the voting public are breathing 1st hand or second hand smoke, nic vapor, or inhaling car exhaust through a modified garden hose. They want enough votes to get re-elected. Period.

If this or any other issue polarizes enough voters, it can swing a local election.
That's business of politics. That, however offers nothing toward the issue of should any of us have
the right to vape in a public place, even places where traditional smoking is not just segregated, but outright banned.

Further out and I'm not trying to incite a riot here, but please consider that by
allowing these small compromises of our personal freedoms to slowly evaporate, like a plum of vaper from your e-cig,
it COULD eventually lead to the control, over-regulation, or even prohibition of THE SALE of these devices and supplies
in the few places around the D/FW metroplex where they fortunately are at least somewhat available.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Now please, I'm not saying that these people are evil. They are our friends, family members,
coworkers, neighbors and some are even elected by us to represent us in our different forms of government.

Why this is relevant is because if you individually do nothing to protect your rights and freedoms,
we will all, collectively, lose some of them. Do not stand by and do nothing.
Say something. Speak out. Be heard. get involved. Put forth an effort. Contribute your time when you can.
Start by voicing your feelings and opinions here, on this forum to start, then elsewhere, in places where
those with the power to make decisions for us will hear us. Get used to sticking up for yourself.

I know this is a rather strong initial post for a new forum member and offer you my thanks for reading along this far.
Obviously, I feel strongly about the issue and would wish to see others who are like-minded come forward as well.

I mean no harm and I mean well, but I mean business.
Dallasites and people across Texas: UNITE ! The law as it stands on the books is on our side.
Do not relenquish the rights, priviledges and responsibilities afforded to us under our laws.
If we do nothing, we have no one to blame except ourselves.

Thanks again.

Defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread