• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Customs and Health Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
They refused entry to my atomisers and cartomisers. So your observation is pretty moot. Read the links...

Whoever did that is grossly overestimated Health Canada's sphere of influence. I've discussed this before, but Health Canada is very ambiguous regarding e-cigarettes. They use wording and terminology which is left open to interpretation. Seems to me they do this on purpose... but e-cigarettes are NOT covered by the Food and Safety Act. Only Nicotine is. If an electronic cigarette advertised that it is intended to be used with nicotine, or is a smoking cessation product, only then can they step in as it is suddenly a medical device or a health product.

Seriously. They sell this stuff at London Drugs. They can do it because there's no mention of quitting smoking or nicotine.

I very well might be wrong... I don't research this stuff and spend hours calling around... I'm just saying that this is what I have learned thus far. How is that Happy Vaper can be fully licensed to sell hardware, and yet at the same time customs, under the (ambiguous) direction of Health Canada can deny the same hardware for import? It's game of words and semantics and people who know a little telling people who know nothing what they can and can't do.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Whoever did that is grossly overestimated Health Canada's sphere of influence. I've discussed this before, but Health Canada is very ambiguous regarding e-cigarettes. They use wording and terminology which is left open to interpretation. Seems to me they do this on purpose... but e-cigarettes are NOT covered by the Food and Safety Act. Only Nicotine is. If an electronic cigarette advertised that it is intended to be used with nicotine, or is a smoking cessation product, only then can they step in as it is suddenly a medical device or a health product.

Seriously. They sell this stuff at London Drugs. They can do it because there's no mention of quitting smoking or nicotine.

I very well might be wrong... I don't research this stuff and spend hours calling around... I'm just saying that this is what I have learned thus far. How is that Happy Vaper can be fully licensed to sell hardware, and yet at the same time customs, under the (ambiguous) direction of Health Canada can deny the same hardware for import? It's game of words and semantics and people who know a little telling people who know nothing what they can and can't do.
It's called market authorization :) Trust me I played that card, I just simply did not roll over and die. They have it I don't.

CanReviewer

Nov 9, 2010
Canada BC
Remember Tommy Chong who was put in jail for having a website that sold Bongs online? The unfortunate reality is that the powers that be have a way to make life difficult when they choose to.
Correct me if im wrong but the company sold bongs to 2 prohibited states. Which is still ridiculous that he went to jail for it. If someone buys a machine gun, u would arrest the person buying it, not the manufacturers. ( taken from the documentary : The Union )

Anaconda

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2011
Freddy Beach, NB, Canada
I just had an order of juice rejected at the border too... I had 2 packages sent at the same time from the same vendor. I got one but not the other. Then 2 weeks later I get a letter from HC saying it was prohibitted. The letter included a phone # to call, so I did in hopes that I could try and get my package. Well the # goes straight to VM, and it isn't even set up to accept messages... WTF... if you are going to leave me a phone # to call... I expect someone to answer, even if it means I have to sit on hold for however long it takes...

mavrik

Nov 7, 2011
S'toon Canada
Remember Tommy Chong who was put in jail for having a website that sold Bongs online? The unfortunate reality is that the powers that be have a way to make life difficult when they choose to.

they were more after him because he was the number 1 seller of ......... seeds in the world lol but they couldnt take him down on that because the laws were all against the actual plant, not the seed..they had to loop hole his ...

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    According to Tommy Chong, it was his son's .... company and he ended up taking the fall for it. The feds apparently argued that he was marketing the product and making it appealing to kids. Plus, he financed that company. I think the feds felt his higher profile made their bust look better.

Do the powers that be try to make life difficult when they choose to? Well as far as e-cigarettes are concerned, Health Canada is still using that flawed original FDA study to justify its policies.

kalvinf

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2011
    Hamilton Canada
    Well as far as e-cigarettes are concerned, Health Canada is still using that flawed original FDA study to justify its policies.

When the anti-smoking foundation first brought their statistics forward to start the draconian legislation against smokers and second hand smoke they had faulty statistics - they cooked them. They even admitted this after awhile but not before laws were firmly in effect and the general public was on board with it all.

The thing about eating too many eggs and having issues with cholesteral was based on a study where a decimal was mistakenly placed in the wrong position in the report summary. The upshot is that it stuck in people's minds that eggs will cause cholesteral where they in fact don't and still persists today.

HC knows it can flout the outdated FDA study as long as the public doesn't know any better and keep the anti-e-cig push alive. This would be a good item to make your MP aware of imho - don't let them get away with it.

GrapeChaser

Sep 28, 2011
    Toronto
    Welcome to Canada ahh I just got hit my package is in permanent clearance delay. it is only atomizer and battery's and chargers.HC is now telling me I need a class 1 medical licence to be able to import this kind of material into Canada. The licence cost a base price of $7200.00+ a year the + is you have to be an established business and submit your sales to the government as the licence amount is reflected a pone your sales.but the minimum is $7200.00 per year.

CityLights

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    GrapeChaser, what country was this shipped from? And if you vape zero nic, how can HC declare it to be a Class 1 medical device? I'd challenge them on this point. How can they prove it's intended use was strictly for medical purposes? Got a Lawyer on retainer? I'm sure a lawyer could get it released with a notice or two.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 27, 2011
    North Vancouver BC Canada
    Welcome to Canada ahh I just got hit my package is in permanent clearance delay. it is only atomizer and battery's and chargers.HC is now telling me I need a class 1 medical licence to be able to import this kind of material into Canada. The licence cost a base price of $7200.00+ a year the + is you have to be an established business and submit your sales to the government as the licence amount is reflected a pone your sales.but the minimum is $7200.00 per year.

I never heard of those things being stopped if there was no Ejuice since you can use them with no nic ejuice and not break the law . Sounds to me like you got the shaft from some noob at CP

basslion

Jan 22, 2009
    The term Medical Devices, as defined in the Food and Drugs Act, covers a wide range of health or medical instruments used in the treatment, mitigation, diagnosis or prevention of a disease or abnormal physical condition. If the government of Canada is against us saying that the ecigarette can help one quit smoking or prevent or cure disease because they are not proven to do so, then how can they classify these as a medical device.

an electronic cigarette does not mitigate, diagnose, prevent or treat any disease and the government will be the first to say that this device is not proven to do so.

So if this is the case, then how can it be classified as a medical device when the very meaning of medical device from Health Canada directly doesnt pertain at all to the device itself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread