Crazy newbie VG question--please humor me

Status
Not open for further replies.

speksynder

Sep 26, 2009
CT
Hi all.

I've been vaping VG about three months, and I absolutely adore it. I stopped smoking analogs completely when I began vaping. But one thing I've noticed since I began vaping is that I've put on weight. I realize this is a common side effect when you quit smoking, so I never really thought about it until I read somewhere on this forum that VG contains calories.

It occurred to me to wonder whether, in vaping VG, I might actually be taking in calories? I know it sounds crazy, and I do realize it's a small price to pay to quit smoking; I was just curious. Does anyone know if we might be intaking calories in vaping VG?

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Welcome! Not too crazy :)...I think many, if not most people are worried about weight gain when they quit smoking. (The nice thing about vaping is that it makes exercise and other healthy changes easier, I find. There's no nic withdrawal exhaustion and none of that my-hands-are-so-bored-without-a-cig snacking. :))

When consumed in food (as a sweetening substitute and moistening agent) VG does contain calories, but even assuming you could metabolize inhaled calories*, the quantities would be too tiny in vaping for you to take in significant calories.

Just the math for fun...
Glycerin (aka VG, glycerine, glycerol) has about 32 calories per teaspoon or 4.3 calories per gram.
Let's assume safely that people vape from 1-5 ml a day on average.
Using a back of the envelope approximation of 5 milliliters per teaspoon, if you swallowed a volume of pure VG equivalent to a high daily vaping average, you'd get about 32 calories...the same as two teaspoons of sugar, a third of an apple, or a big swig of juice.

*Not a doctor, but that strikes me as physically impossible. You absorb nicotine and other chemicals into the bloodstream through lung tissue because they're active once in the blood, but there's no way for your body to digest inhaled substances for caloric energy. Otherwise, hospitals would be using this in addition to IV nutrition, and fast food workers would be in serious peril. ;)

edit to add: OMG, quasimod, I liked your old avatar but this one rocks too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread