Cotton/Microcoil build in EVOD Glass leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Hi Gang!

Hope your holiday weekend has been amazing!

I've only been vaping for just over six weeks but thought I had all the basics figured out. I haven't seen much online about the dual-coil Kanger heads, besides reviews.

The dual coil heads that came with my 2 EVOD Glass were mediocre at best. I rebuilt them the same as I do my single coil Kanger heads, with a single cotton/microcoil. Loaded both up with tank-crackers and they vaped great, down to the bottom of the tank. Refilled both and vaped away with no problems. Fill & repeat again. No problems.

Ran out of one juice and wanted to change to a new tank-cracker. I pulled the head, rinsed with hot water, removed the wicking, lightly dry-burned the coil and re-wicked with the same organic cotton. I primed the wick, filled the tank & let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Started vaping to gurgling, flooding and major leaking through the bottom pin. Frustrating. But I knew going in that vaping would be a bit fiddly.

I built a new coil as before (8 turns of 30g kanthal around a 5/64th drill bit), installed it in the head and wicked with cotton. The silicone top sleeve completely covered the openings on both sides of the atomizer deck the same as before. I primed the wick, filled the tank and let it sit... Gurgling, flooding & leaking. Oh my!

I then inserted a cotton "flavor wick" on top of the coil, reassembled and... Gurgling, flooding & leaking... ARGH!

So, I wrapped another coil; same 30g Kanthal but this time 7 turns around a 3/32 drill bit; thinking a slightly larger ID might help the situation, allowing a slightly larger wick. I wicked, primed, filled. Five minutes later: gurgling, flooding & leaking... Adding a flavor wick to this accomplished nothing. This juice is 100% VG!

Anyone have any experience with the first-gen Kanger dual-coil heads? How are your rebuilds performing? Is it specific to the EVOD Glass? Does the cotton wick too well in these heads? Maybe I'll pick up more silica and try that. My single-coil cotton/microcoil heads all vape brilliantly.

Does anyone know of other decent Pyrex, EVOD style clearos that use the single-coil (PT2) Kangers? I was really liking the EVOD Glass... I guess I could go to the PT2 v2 mini. They just seem very unprotected on this klutz's stick batteries.

Thanks!

~Alden

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Thanks Btsmokincat!

I should have thought of that. Alas, it seems that all the o-rings and gaskets are in place. The tank is sealed. The silicone top-sleeve seems to seal against the chimney. The o-ring on the bottom of the head seems to seal against the base. And the base o-ring looks fine and seems to seal against the tank.

If I cover the base & air holes in the base and suck on the top of the tank, it seems air tight. Is there something else I can check/test?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I'm having the same problem. I've rebuilt the coils and checked them, all is firing and the ohms are where I want them. When I try to vape with them there's tons of gurgling and I'm getting liquid in my mouth. I've checked the o-rings and they seem fine. Maybe I'm using too much cotton? All 5 that I've rebuilt are doing the same thing :(.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Then I'd have to guess not enough cotton. With my PT coil builds (Dual and Single), I roll the cotton very tight between my fingers then feed it through the coil so the wick is just snug but not tight. I clip the ends and fluff the few mm sticking out the sides so it fills the gaps. It's always worked for me without any issue.

If you want to see how I rebuild Dual Kanger coils into a single microcoil, click on the blue "2" next to blog entries under my avatar, it's a two part tutorial. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Other than not enough cotton, the only thing I can think of is the heat causing issues. Do you vape outside in the heat or do your tanks sit in the sun at all? The heat can cause the juice to thin and the air inside the tank to expand and force the juice out.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I rewicked them using a bit less cotton and they are working perfecto! I also noticed I hadn't pushed the cover pin/tube/cap down all the way so that was a big problem causing the gurgling. This is my first time doing these types of builds. I appreciate you help! Very informative blog!!

Ps. I did have to add more cotton to one. It's quite the balancing act.

Last edited:

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Thanks Guys!

Just like DetraMental, a third less cotton and problems solved. Too much of a good thing... I guess I was extra worried about filling the longer openings in the dual-coil atomizer deck. Check out Btsmokincat's blog. It doesn't take as much cotton as you might think. The trick is simply fluffing the heck out of the wicks, once installed, so the cotton fills the openings. Hope this thread helps others as we start rebuilding the Kanger dual-coil heads.

Keep on Vapin'!

~Alden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread