Cotton- How do you prefer your wick/coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
I have just started using cotton recently and am wondering how you guys prefer your cotton wick?

Do any of you oxidize your cotton wick?

Any tricks you learned that make it preform better?

What type of cotton do you like best? (cheese cloth/candle wick):vapor:

Also I have been using a vivi mini nova and want to get a better rebuildable atomizer, any suggestions for a 510 thread?

Last edited:

Lex0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
I use sterile rolled cotton from CVS. It's a huge roll and I just pinch off a very small amount and roll it into wick shape. This cotton absorbs juice super fast, you can drip some juice on the wick and it will saturate very quickly. Also no need to boil it. It's been working fantastically in my penelope. I will soon be making SS/cotton hybrid wicks to avoid any potential burning (have experienced very little burning so far). What cotton are you using?

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
I use sterile rolled cotton from CVS. It's a huge roll and I just pinch off a very small amount and roll it into wick shape. This cotton absorbs juice super fast, you can drip some juice on the wick and it will saturate very quickly. Also no need to boil it. It's been working fantastically in my penelope. I will soon be making SS/cotton hybrid wicks to avoid any potential burning (have experienced very little burning so far). What cotton are you using?

Cheese cloth and A-1 33 awg Kanthal, not sure if I need more cotton or less tigher coils or lose. Vapes great though, just gotta figure it out.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
xMackx

Try these three threads. They are well worth the read.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ystems/295410-vivi-nova-rebuild-tutorial.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/303173-vivi-nova-modders.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous.html

The short version to answer your question is: "it depends"

Each cotton wick substrate has differing wick capabilities and performance. In general, cotton expands significant when wet. For Vivi usage, you need to balance the pinch point of the wick slot in a vivi with the diameter of your cotton wick. Too much.. you choke it off, too little you flood. Candle wick is tightly woven and doesn't expand as much as say cheese cloth. Cotton batten, rolled, or balled has the greatest reservoir capacity and expansion but has no structural support.

I have found that you need a larger diameter cotton wick to maintain enough ejuice flow to the coil to prevent burning, vivi slots are too small for cotton. You can try BJ43's cotton batton overwick technique, it greatly improves performance, but I bore out my vivi head for cotton. It may just be my preferred vaping technique, but I find that cheese cloth is the best cotton wick. Look up Quigsworth on youtube....

It may be OT, but bamboo wicks much better IMO and I like really like/prefer that cottony goodness...

Just my :2c:

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
xMackx

Try these three threads. They are well worth the read.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ystems/295410-vivi-nova-rebuild-tutorial.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/303173-vivi-nova-modders.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous.html

The short version to answer your question is: "it depends"

Each cotton wick substrate has differing wick capabilities and performance. In general, cotton expands significant when wet. For Vivi usage, you need to balance the pinch point of the wick slot in a vivi with the diameter of your cotton wick. Too much.. you choke it off, too little you flood. Candle wick is tightly woven and doesn't expand as much as say cheese cloth. Cotton batten, rolled, or balled has the greatest reservoir capacity and expansion but has no structural support.

I have found that you need a larger diameter cotton wick to maintain enough ejuice flow to the coil to prevent burning, vivi slots are too small for cotton. You can try BJ43's cotton batton overwick technique, it greatly improves performance, but I bore out my vivi head for cotton. It may just be my preferred vaping technique, but I find that cheese cloth is the best cotton wick. Look up Quigsworth on youtube....

It may be OT, but bamboo wicks much better IMO and I like really like/prefer that cottony goodness...

Just my :2c:

Thank you for the informative post, really the info I needed.

ejervjero

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Raleigh,NC
I picked up some of that rolled cotton from CVS I boiled most of it but took a small piece before boiling it to try to wrap a coil. I think I made it a little bit to big since it takes up most of the tank but it is at 2.4 ohms and wicks like a beast.

Just not sure how safe it is without boiling it since I am still waiting for the rest of it I boiled to dry but the box does say it is sterile already.

Wow the taste of my juice on this cotton though is far better than on the silica that came with my vivi nova.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I'm using cheesecloth and kanthal wire. It's doing pretty good.

This was a few months ago. I no longer use cheesecloth.. I use cotton balls or (lately) makeup rounds. I don't boil them, I see no need. I've used bamboo yarn, cheesecloth, cotton balls and makeup rounds and I like the cotton balls/makeup rounds the best. Lately, I've been winding my coil first, then threading the wick through the coil. It's easier and seems to work better IMO. It seems now a days, everything I see I think "Hmmm.. I wonder if I can wrap a coil around that?" LOL

DSC_0907.jpg DSC_0908.jpg

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
.............. It seems now a days, everything I see I think "Hmmm.. I wonder if I can wrap a coil around that?" LOL

You and me both lol. I've used nails, screws, drill bits, large paper clips, needles, and the inner tube from an old ce2 after pulling the ceramic off the end of it. I've finally settled in on the ce2 innards as I'm getting good results with both my reduxes and diDalike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread