Contemplating a multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4gger

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
And it's looking like the Fluke 289, which is more a process meter but y'know..

Any other reliable meters with:
a) decent DC Volts readings at least into mV (I've tried a few cheapies, they read crazy numbers on relatively known sources)
b) centi-Ω resolution with accuracy for .10 Ω coils being +/- .03 Ω or better. (this will be in the +/- digit count more than the basic accuracy, and of course I know in those ranges the direction of the tongue varies the reading)
c) decent µA accuracy
c) TRMS, of course
d) decent banana jacks (or other connectors.. doesn't matter what type of connector, just that it works well)
e) backlit display for nighttime work
f) wishing here but.. rugged/water resistant, and takes 18650s would be amazing

that anyone knows to recommend?

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Now I'm not saying owning a multimeter is a bad thing though

I bought one when getting into vaping over two years the only time I used it was measuring battery voltage. Broke about four months ago and replaced it 2 months ago since then used it twice to check battery voltage and since then it just sits in the draw. I'm getting more use out of the resistance tester I paid $8.00 from FT where I screw in the bottom of my tanks and recoil then hit the button to check resistance and if not using that I just put it on a device hit the button fast and once and take a reading. That's just me maybe your get more use out of one then I did or do.

d4gger

ECF Veteran
    Nov 25, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS, USA
    For building, I generally just use the little resistance testers. I've got enough safety margin from my batteries that +/- .05 ohms from reading is acceptable.

If I get a multimeter with high Ω resolution, I'll see how much resistance I get using versus not using various connection "enhancers" and occasionally diagnose bad connections. I also want to observe voltage and current under load, prolly as separate tests.

I used to use my (very) old BK meter for several things like checking speaker wires or watching signals on my car's sensors to diagnose an error code. I really like that old hunk of junk BK, but the 9V connector is completely destroyed and I hate to solder.

I do see and agree with your point though, actually using a meter for most vaping activities is a bit inconvenient when we have easier (and more accurate for the price) ways.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread