Confused Older Guy – Pall Mall Red Kings – Budget: Social Security/Disability Income

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Amazing thread I must say. Great read while my wife was shopping at walmart and I sat on a bench with my smart phone. She's an "extreme couponer" so she takes some time. I actually just finished reading the thread at home. What a great forum I must say with very big hearts. I love the stories of those who quit smoking with vaping. I quit smoking back in June 2010 with Swedish snus and nasal snuff. I added vaping a couple days ago for the fun of it. I kinda missed the hand to mouth of smoking and this fills the gap nicely.

Soniclight, I wish you the best of luck!

Del Boy

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2011
South coast of England UK
Yeah ok. There is plenty of stuff to do on the net. And i do do plenty of other stuff on the net and with my life..

One thing i like to do is read human stories. People sharing their experiences of facing challenges and overcoming. I mean no harm in having hopes for people i don't know and will never meet.

I just hope you, a fellow human, suceed in facing a challenge and to that end i wish you all the best.

Del Boy,

"I mean no harm in having hopes for people i don't know and will never meet."

It's not only not harmful, it's honorable and in the best tradition of the Golden Rule, etc. While I am not a Buddhist, there is one of their ancient prayer/practice called Metta or Loving Kindness in line with that which kind of sums up my core views even though I don't claim to always pull it off; the below is the essence of it. And then of course, Mark Twain has his own, typically succinct version :)

To me this overall attitude and way to live is a win-win -- even and perhaps especially for our "enemies" or those we just don't jive with; for when there is no need for fear (the core of all unloving to despicable intent and behavior), there is a sense of inner or existential safety which then dissolves the need to preach at, change, control, wish harm upon or attack others.

May all beings be happy.
May they live in safety and joy.

All living beings, whether weak or strong,
Old or young, man or woman, smart or foolish,

Healthy or disabled, seen or unseen,
Near or distant, born or to be born,

May they all be happy.
~ Metta Sutra

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. ~ Mark Twain

Well, I got a bit pontificatiously carried away with that last post but bottom line, we're on the same page. As to how I'm doing vape-a-wise, I'm seeing that I may not be able to quit analogs for quite some time due to the anxiety condition I have. But as long as the habit of "Nah, grab the e-cig..." keeps on keeping on as much as it has, it's progress. I still keep track of how many analogs I smoke (write it down) too.

On your question/s on e-juices:

It was recommended that I start with a light to medium menthol for it gives a strong throat hit and while I've done some minor experimenting with a couple of other flavors (Black Cherry, Apple), it seems that menthol as the central flavor still works best. I also got some pure menthol to "jack up" the other two because I don't want them to go to waste (I buy juice in 45 ml bottles).

Maybe I'll get more creative later, but I also don't have the money to waste on tryin' dis and dat. Besides, when I smoked analogs, there was really only non-menthol and menthol as flavors. I really don't need to go all ritzy or dizzy with flavors. I'm a utilitarian: I just want it to work.

For me, it's still an addiction that I'm trying to work with, not a life-style.*

(*Which may not be politically correct to say here at ECF.
I still don't like the fact that I have this need to suck-in stuff...)

Last edited:

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
On your question/s on e-juices:

It was recommended that I start with a light to medium menthol for it gives a strong throat hit and while I've done some minor experimenting with a couple of other flavors (Black Cherry, Apple), it seems that menthol as the central flavor still works best. I also got some pure menthol to "jack up" the other two because I don't want them to go to waste (I buy juice in 45 ml bottles).

Maybe I'll get more creative later, but I also don't have the money to waste on tryin' dis and dat. Besides, when I smoked analogs, there was really only non-menthol and menthol as flavors. I really don't need to go all ritzy or dizzy with flavors. I'm a utilitarian: I just want it to work.

For me, it's still an addiction that I'm trying to work with, not a life-style.*

(*Which may not be politically correct to say here at ECF.
I still don't like the fact that I have this need to suck-in stuff...)
I know how you feel (suck-in-stuff), The only thing I can say is the E-Cigs are a whole lot healthier.

Del Boy

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2011
South coast of England UK
Ok i hear what you're saying re -trying out all the hundreds of flavours.

I only asked because i found a good coffee flavour that works for 'me' and i'm not sure that my quit would've been so successful had i not found this. I fully understand that one mans 'good flavour' is another mans 'poison'. But i do know that if you found a flavour that was right for you, a flavour that you looked forward to vaping, then you would have taken a big step on the road to getting off the analogs for good.
And i agree regarding the suck in thing. I would much rather not 'need' anything and i shall be working toward that end for me. But i'm a small steps kinda guy. It works for me.......eventually.

I am only sharing my 'quit' steps with you to maybe throw some light where there is maybe darkness. I'm not saying that i've seen the light nor that i know the 'way'.

Sundrinkr

Alis volat propriis
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Behind the Rainbow
The hand to mouth habit was why I knew I couldn't quit analogs....until I found my ecig. I spent 40 years with the hand to mouth habit so I don't see myself breaking THAT habit anytime soon. Putting down the analogs as often as possible is a huge start and I think we all have to give ourselves credit for every digarette not smoked. Oops -- spelling mistake, but I will leave it as maybe that would be a better name for them. If you smoke 'em you are digging your grave lol.

jtpjc and Hoosier: No, I didn't shake the bottle first - duh.... And yes, I ended up doctoring it up by diluting and adding a little this and that until I had a decent vape. I'm too cheap to not try fixing something first before I toss it. Since then I have made my own coffee vape from unbrewed coffee grounds per a recipe on DIY and LOVE it!!!! I also ordered a few more standards (cream, sweetener, etc,) and decided upon some cinnamon red hots flavoring too. I'm sitting here vaping that right now and diggin' it! Sometimes I don't use any flavoring at all. So, this DIY venture is turning out well for me. I wanted to check back in and see how Sonic is doing....

A few eons later...

Well, still dragging on without having quit analogs totally, so in one sense I'm disqualified from being a member here - lol. But hey, I'm spending half as much or less dough on analogs and lungs dig it too. I started vaping around Christmas last year (actually I remember the date exactly, Dec. 23 2011). Maybe by next Christmas I'll be closer to qualifying to be amidst all you totally non-analogers :)

tamarahvt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Springfield, VT
A few eons later...

Well, still dragging on without having quit analogs totally, so in one sense I'm disqualified from being a member here - lol. But hey, I'm spending half as much or less dough on analogs and lungs dig it too. I started vaping around Christmas last year (actually I remember the date exactly, Dec. 23 2011). Maybe by next Christmas I'll be closer to qualifying to be amidst all you totally non-analogers :)

I may be wrong but I think there are still folks around who do both. You're plenty welcome here, in my book.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I started off with one of those cheap starter box kits (190 510 batt, charger and 3 carts) at the flea market and a 10 ml bottle for $30, they were running a Christmas special. Later, bought an extra 190 mah battery for when my first battery needed to be charged, $10. Then, I switched to cartos for obvious reasons and learned how to boil them for reuse, $10. When the first battery gave up the ghost for good, upgraded to the eGo 650, $20. Bought a second charger for when the first might go, $8. First batt died and gave my brother the second batt and charger and bought another eGo 650, $20. Since, I had bought 2 more 5 packs of cartos and am waiting on a eGo fast-charger from Liberty Flights, $30. I started last Dec. and this has kept me maintained up until now; $110 in hardware over 5 months.

Juice is a different story, I bought from AVE, LF and FSUSA. Out of all, I mostly like the Pall Mall and Zen Watermelon. Can't really say how much I spent on mostly samples. Being honest though, I usually go back to the flea market to get the Marl Red 18mg. The guy who runs the Vapor Rising there is great, he'll throw in another bottle to try. The Orange was great, the Beer, not so much. If I stuck to one or two flavors, I'd say 30 ml would last me a month, $20. So, I guess that would be $45-$50 a month. YMMV

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread