Completely refurbishing/rebuilding/restuffing a cartomizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've searched high and low, and was wondering, does anyone know how to refurb/rebuild/restuff a PR110/VK/KR808 cartomizer? I realize nothing will ever beat a fresh one, and I have 25 of them still left, waiting for me to vape :D BUT in the interest of saving even more money, what about recycling used ones?

From what I've read (and experienced), the actual heating coil is probably the last thing to go on a cart. The poly stuffing and flame-......ant sleeve is what gets cooked, thus the funky flavor, then you gotta throw 'em away, after several drip refills. I get mine to last about a week cycling between two refilled carts.

Reading all the posts about teabags and all for 901s/510s, is there a way to do that on a cartomizer? perhaps even replacing the insulating sleeve? I'm very curious to see if anyone's tried this... :confused:

ArizX

Aug 15, 2009
Miami
Based on the way these things are built, I think this would be a nearly impossible task. The wire is wrapped around the stuffing in a way that I could never remove the filling without tearing it apart. I think this design is part of what makes vapor production so good. What I would recommend, if you like the vapor production and ease of use on the KR/VK, is to try the greencig carts. I know you can get them at nhaler and VK.

The greencig cart is built similar to any other non cartomizer cartridge. The atty is at the top with a wick which draws liquid from an inner cartridge filled with polyfil. The difference is that the inner "cartridge" rests inside the onepiece cartomizer design. So when you need to refill, you simply pop it open, remove the inner cartrdige, refill it with about 18-20 drops and vape away. I think these things are the holy grail of cartomizer design. Tons of vapor, last forever, never burns, and while these cartomizers are close to 30 bucks for a pack of ten, they refill so well that it actually ends up being very cost effective.

One note, the inner cartridge can be very difficult to remove. What I find works best is to drill a small hole in the back of it and use that as a point to insert the tweezer for removal. The other advantage of this method is that the hole in the bottom increases airflow for draining the cartridge, and makes it possible to refill without removal using a syringe or carefully dripping. I highly recommend these carts.

thebat1

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
The greencig cart is built similar to any other non cartomizer cartridge. The atty is at the top with a wick which draws liquid from an inner cartridge filled with polyfil. The difference is that the inner "cartridge" rests inside the onepiece cartomizer design. So when you need to refill, you simply pop it open, remove the inner cartrdige, refill it with about 18-20 drops and vape away. I think these things are the holy grail of cartomizer design. Tons of vapor, last forever, never burns, and while these cartomizers are close to 30 bucks for a pack of ten, they refill so well that it actually ends up being very cost effective.

One note, the inner cartridge can be very difficult to remove. What I find works best is to drill a small hole in the back of it and use that as a point to insert the tweezer for removal. The other advantage of this method is that the hole in the bottom increases airflow for draining the cartridge, and makes it possible to refill without removal using a syringe or carefully dripping. I highly recommend these carts.
ArizX
Please share??Pictures videio would be EXCELLENT here.
Please???:confused:

Last edited:

ImYourSalt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
liberty-flights.com
I don't think it would be that hard to restuff a carto. I've successfully removed the stuffing on more than one account without destroying the atomizer. If you can do that, It's as simple as shoving some new filler in. Perhaps i'll give it a try with some blue foam. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:

thelook

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I don't think it would be that hard to restuff a carto. I've successfully removed the stuffing on more than one account without destroying the atomizer. Is you can do that, It's as simple as shoving some new filler in. Perhaps i'll give it a try with some blue foam. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I too have wondered about using the blue foam in carto's..... Let us know how it works out please!:)

ImYourSalt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
liberty-flights.com
Works fine... takes about 4 minutes to complete... i'll update pics in a minute.

Sorry about the quality... i only have an iphone.
its very easy to do. i used fine point tweezers to *carefully* remove the batting. you have to work it out, careful not to damage the atomizer. you cant just yank it! then cut some blue foam into 3 strips, placed between the tweezers, and slid down into the carto (much like restuffing a cart).

hope this helps!

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

Last edited:

rickylford

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Do you have a link to these things you're talking about? I'm quite interested in checking them out but can't find what you're talking about on the nhaler website..

ImYourSalt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
liberty-flights.com
Where do you get the blue foam from? And does it vape better than the factory stuffing that comes with the cartomizer already? Does it hold liquid better?

you can get blue foam from PetSmart, or Petco, anywhere that sells aquarium supplies. its $10 for 3 foam sleeves. about 6"x8", so you have plenty to work with. its made by MARINELAND, it's Rite Size U. the different letters signify different filter sizer (for the aquarium). Im sure other Rite Sizes work. this one just seems the most popular here on ECF.

to be honest, i cant really comment on vapor, or liquid capacity. first time i ever tried it, i only took a few puffs to make sure it worked, and for the photos... im sure you can use polyfill, or Lipton Tea Bags, or whatever you used to stuff cartos with. I just happen to have this on hand.

I have been using premium cartoz lately, and did this experiment with an old regular carto from china. i'll give it a go on a premium carto and let you know how that goes...

Last edited:

rickylford

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
you can get blue foam from PetSmart, or Petco, anywhere that sells aquarium supplies. its $10 for 3 foam sleeves. about 6"x8", so you have plenty to work with. its made by MARINELAND, it's Rite Size U. the different letters signify different filter sizer (for the aquarium). Im sure other Rite Sizes work. this one just seems the most popular here on ECF.

to be honest, i cant really comment on vapor, or liquid capacity. first time i ever tried it, i only took a few puffs to make sure it worked, and for the photos... im sure you can use polyfill, or Lipton Tea Bags, or whatever you used to stuff cartos with. I just happen to have this on hand.

I have been using premium cartoz lately, and did this experiment with an old regular carto from china. i'll give it a go on a premium carto and let you know how that goes...
Edit: Nevermind. Some Google searching brought me to what I was looking for. :)

Last edited:

ImYourSalt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
liberty-flights.com
Thanks for the pics!

Did you just cut a small strip of the foam and roll it?
Also, did you have any trouble getting the pollyfill out with out hurting the coil?

No rolling. Just cut into 3 small strips, squeezed into the tweezers, and carefully inserted them. no trouble getting the filler out, just be careful, and take your time. the filling is wrapped in a spiral inside the barrel of the carto. it may help to sort-of unroll it on the way out.

Premium cartomizer? What do you mean by premium and where can you find them?

premium cartos give better vapor, and a more consistant hit. I got mine from LiteCig. I know V4L Carries them as well (and I think they invented them, Thanks Leaford!), and probably a few others. LiteCig just had a great price on them, and carried a few other things on my list at the time. LiteCig also has premium 510 cartoz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread