Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    So as you know, when you post a link on ECF, it converts it to an anchor text link according to the web page's title tag.

So for instance, if I post a link to a fasttech product page, I post the raw URL of the page...

Code:
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/2438800

...and Xenforo converts that to an anchor text link using the title tag for that page which is...
    Code:
    $4.29 5PCS Authentic KangerTech SOCC Coil Head - 1.8ohm / for KangerTech EVOD / Protank 2 / Mini Protank 2 / Unitank / Mini Unitank at FastTech - Free Shipping

$4.29 5PCS Authentic KangerTech SOCC Coil Head - 1.8ohm / for KangerTech EVOD / Protank 2 / Mini Protank 2 / Unitank / Mini Unitank at FastTech - Free Shipping

This works for any page on the internet that has a title tag, even ECF blog posts, except for community blog posts.

Instead of using the title tag for anchor text for the link to a community blog post's page, it shows the anchor text as "Error | E-Cigarette Forum" instead.

Code:
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/list-of-concentrated-diy-nicotine-base-retailers-still-shipping.8371/

Error | E-Cigarette Forum

The page has a title tag and Xenforo should be using that title tag, but it doesn't. The title tag is simply the blog post's title with the added " | E-Cigarette Forum" and can be seen if you view the source of the blog post's page. So the anchor text should show as...

List of US Retailers Still Shipping 100mg Nicotine Base | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:
    • Informative
    Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    So as you know, when you post a link on ECF, it converts it to an anchor text link according to the web page's title tag.

So for instance, if I post a link to a fasttech product page, I post the raw URL of the page...

Code:
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/2438800

...and Xenforo converts that to an anchor text link using the title tag for that page which is...
    Code:

This works for any page on the internet that has a title tag, even ECF blog posts, except for community blog posts.

Instead of using the title tag for anchor text for the link to a community blog post's page, it shows the anchor text as "Error | E-Cigarette Forum" instead.

Code:
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/list-of-concentrated-diy-nicotine-base-retailers-still-shipping.8371/

The page has a title tag and Xenforo should be using that title tag, but it doesn't. The title tag is simply the blog post's title with the added " | E-Cigarette Forum" and can be seen if you view the source of the blog post's page. So the anchor text should show as

interesting... you should hyperlink it for now yourself. that is working.

List of U.S. Vendors Still Shipping Nicotine Base

Reactions: BrotherBob

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Hmmmm, that's odd that it doesn't work when I do it.

are you typing out the text "List of U.S. Vendors Still Shipping Nicotine Base", then highlighting that text, then clicking on the link icon and putting the link into the pop-up URL address box that comes up?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    are you typing out the text "List of U.S. Vendors Still Shipping Nicotine Base", then highlighting that text, then clicking on the link icon and putting the link into the pop-up URL address box that comes up?

Nope. I'm trying to do it the easy way so that I don't have to do that. Xenforo (the ECF forum script) is supposed to do it for you.

As you can see in my above post, it works for other blog entries except for mine. I don't want to have to type the anchor text unless I have to, which I have been. I just want to post the link and go lol

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Fiddled around with this in your test thread. Will pass this up to the server guys. Suspect we have a server that's misbehaving

just for an FYI, Zazie's blog did it too when I linked to her blog earlier...

so... not just uncle.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Fiddled around with this in your test thread. Will pass this up to the server guys. Suspect we have a server that's misbehaving

thanks. I wonder if my blog and/or blog posts need to be "approved" or something about it need to be changed on the admin end. I say that becuase right before I posted my first post on the community blog I read something about that. I wish I could find it. It was a post or blog from years ago where I read it.

The blog posts have a title tag so it's strange that Xenforo doesn't grab it like it's supposed to.

HTML:
    <title>List of US Retailers Still Shipping 100mg Nicotine Base | E-Cigarette Forum </title>
    <noscript><style>.JsOnly, .jsOnly { display: none !important; }</style></noscript>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="css.php?css=xenforo,form,public&amp;style=6&amp;dir=LTR&amp;d=1622311958" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="css.php?css=admon_funboxMessage,editor_ui,funbox,message_user_info,nflj_rms_tab_links,nflj_ubs_tab_links,quick_reply,wf_default,xb,xb_offcanvas_menu,xb_top_bar,xengallery_tab_links,xfa_blog_categories,xfa_blog_custom_fonts,xfa_blog_entry,xfa_blog_entry_bit,xfa_blog_inline_controls,xfa_blog_panels,xfa_blog_sidebar_login,xfa_blogs_nav,xfa_privacy&amp;style=6&amp;dir=LTR&amp;d=1622311958" />
    <link href='//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Lato:400,700' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

Reactions: Opinionated

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    It worked fine for me with one of Zazie's posts. Let me try another from PawpawBrett....

The Most Basic "Recipes for Dummies" | E-Cigarette Forum

Worked. I must have demons. Demons! :lol:

Being an Index of Recipes in the "Random DIY mixing and More" and "Liquor Flavors?" Threads | E-Cigarette Forum

well dang, its working now on Zazie's blog... I literally tried earlier and after I hit post I got the error message so I went back in and did the work for linking myself...

so weird!

and yes, lately? the gremlins are after you! hahaha

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread