Coils popping in TC mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizzy_tyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2015
North Carolina
So I'm just starting to play with TC mode, despite most of the mods I've bought recently having the feature I just never really tried it.

I like the flavor and performance but my coil is making a very loud popping noise in TC mode. I am using 28g 316SS built to .84ohms in the wotofo serpent mini on the istick pico. When I switch the same coil on the to wattage the popping stops.

I have found many instances of people saying SS pulses in TC mode but no explanation of what this pulsing is or how it presents its self. Is this popping pulsing? Is it an issue with the serpent mini not be compatible? Or something else?

I guess there might be no harm in the popping sound, it just sounds alarming but it could be my inexperience with TC.

So I'm just starting to play with TC mode, despite most of the mods I've bought recently having the feature I just never really tried it.

I like the flavor and performance but my coil is making a very loud popping noise in TC mode. I am using 28g 316SS built to .84ohms in the wotofo serpent mini on the istick pico. When I switch the same coil on the to wattage the popping stops.

I have found many instances of people saying SS pulses in TC mode but no explanation of what this pulsing is or how it presents its self. Is this popping pulsing? Is it an issue with the serpent mini not be compatible? Or something else?

I guess there might be no harm in the popping sound, it just sounds alarming but it could be my inexperience with TC.

Some mods pulse to get enough power. They spike the power and then drop off. Cheaper way to claim higher power.

frizzy_tyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2015
North Carolina
Some mods pulse to get enough power. They spike the power and then drop off. Cheaper way to claim higher power.

Is the pulse what causes the popping? Or what indication would someone have that it is pulsing.

I don't have much experience with SS I'm afraid, but had no popping whatsoever with titanium in the Serpent mini.

I just got a Cuboid mini and when trying the 0,5ohm SS coil that came with it in TC mode it wouldn't stop popping and hissing, but that's a pre-made coil so hard to compare probably.

I'll try again with a different coil to see if that was the problem. It could be the ss, I've just avoided ti and ni because It seems like I would need a ton of wraps to hit the ohms I typically prefer but I might pick some up to see if it's the issue or not.

Reactions: OhTheAgony

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
Forget your ohm preference. Build for the coil mass and heat flux you prefer, that's what really matters.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

I'm with Ken on this one
24639996112_5365340198_o.gif

When I first started using ti I kept going thinner hoping to get a higher resistance (my original aim was 0,8ohm but I never got it that high in practice), but then I fell in love with coils made of twisted wire (two strands) and I had to start all over again.

In the end it didn't make much difference at all. Just try to stay between 0,3 and 0,6 ohm with Ti and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Reactions: KenD

frizzy_tyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2015
North Carolina
Thanks @KenD and @OhTheAgony, I didn't realize ohms didn't matter as much with TC or with other metals.

Just a thought. I recently found that my tanks are popping.
Then I noticed that the humidity is 80+%
If it sets for very long (15 minutes or more) it pops for a spell.
Wake up vape is quite exciting!

Thanks @ShowerHead I didn't think to try and figure out if it went away after a while, so I'll be on the look out for that.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Thanks @KenD and @OhTheAgony, I didn't realize ohms didn't matter as much with TC or with other metals.

Thanks @ShowerHead I didn't think to try and figure out if it went away after a while, so I'll be on the look out for that.
Ohms don't really matter with regulated devices. The amp draw does not increase with lowered resistance. Best to build for size.

frizzy_tyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2015
North Carolina
Ohms don't really matter with regulated devices. The amp draw does not increase with lowered resistance. Best to build for size.

It's not so much the amps that has kept me arround .8ohm, I find anything lower I have to run it at such a low wattage I don't get much if any flavor. When I up the Watts the vapor is too harsh for me. Not sure it's a typical experience, just the reason I thought it might in TC too. Might not though and worth a shot.

Reactions: Eskie

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
It's not so much the amps that has kept me arround .8ohm, I find anything lower I have to run it at such a low wattage I don't get much if any flavor. When I up the Watts the vapor is too harsh for me. Not sure it's a typical experience, just the reason I thought it might in TC too. Might not though and worth a shot.
That's due to coil mass and heat flux though. Ss316 will have about half the resistance of kanthal, meaning that vaping a .5 ss coil will be pretty the same as vaping a 1Ω kanthal coil (if the wire size is the same).

Reactions: frizzy_tyger

frizzy_tyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2015
North Carolina
That's due to coil mass and heat flux though. Ss316 will have about half the resistance of kanthal, meaning that vaping a .5 ss coil will be pretty the same as vaping a 1Ω kanthal coil (if the wire size is the same).

I didn't realize it was caused by those factors. Thanks for your help!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

A little late to the party here, but if higher wattage is becoming too harsh you could try a lower the nic and/or PG juice and see if that's smoother at the power level you want.

DragonSG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Happens to me too using SS316L in TC, when I followed video 'guides' by inserting cotton that are too fluffy with both two side layers removed from organic cotton pad.

Tied removing just one side, and the popping gone. Now the vape is smooth as hell. Realised fluffy cottons are more suitable for micro coils. Whereas for spaced coils, as they already have a tendency to pop, you'll need at least one side of uniform fibres to lesson the effect.

Try it.

Reactions: ShowerHead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread