Coil Suggestions? Best flavor? Low wattage MTL.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
As many of you know I'm running several VF Brunhilde MTLs. WireOptim sent me some 26ga Ni80 and Stainless 316L. I've been reading about flatware and single claptons, as they read to be better. I'd like to try them both, but my lack of wire size knowledge has me confused on what will be best in a range of 10-20 watts.

Flatware has me completely in the dark on what to order.
1000019533.jpg

I've read about wires and coil suggestion in other threads, but I'd rather not go digging. (for something "I should have" bookmarked)

Last edited:

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I have a couple of different options for you @Real-ist :thumb:
    I'm not sure if familiar with Steam-engine or not but I've used a lot in the past for simple coil builds, it's not 100% accurate but it gives you a pretty good idea of what you need Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators , just change everything in the drop down menus to suit your needs!!
    I've chosen the 0.5mm×0.1mm from Wireoptim which will get you vaping at roughly 12 watts with a 2.5mm coil wound at 5 wraps chrome_screenshot_26 Feb 2024 10_22_24 am AEDT.png you can always slightly increase or decrease your wattage without any problems!
    Another option I have is from the wire company that I purchase my stuff from, Zivipf.de in Germany. Very good quality wire and excellent prices and shipping, many other members on here also purchase from there. They have a bit bigger range and 0.7mm×0.mm wire will get you vaping roughly in the 20 watt range with a 2.5mm coil wound at 7 wraps chrome_screenshot_26 Feb 2024 10_23_23 am AEDT.png again the wattage can very much be decreased or increased if needed. NiChrome Flat Wire 0.7x0.1mm / .028*.004" - AWG 29
    And they're both Ni80 wire that I have for you there because Nichrome Rocks:headbang:

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    I have a couple of different options for you @Real-ist :thumb:
    I'm not sure if familiar with Steam-engine or not but I've used a lot in the past for simple coil builds, it's not 100% accurate but it gives you a pretty good idea of what you need Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators , just change everything in the drop down menus to suit your needs!!
    I've chosen the 0.5mm×0.1mm from Wireoptim which will get you vaping at roughly 12 watts with a 2.5mm coil wound at 5 wraps View attachment 1008735 you can always slightly increase or decrease your wattage without any problems!
    Another option I have is from the wire company that I purchase my stuff from, Zivipf.de in Germany. Very good quality wire and excellent prices and shipping, many other members on here also purchase from there. They have a bit bigger range and 0.7mm×0.mm wire will get you vaping roughly in the 20 watt range with a 2.5mm coil wound at 7 wraps View attachment 1008736 again the wattage can very much be decreased or increased if needed. NiChrome Flat Wire 0.7x0.1mm / .028*.004" - AWG 29
    And they're both Ni80 wire that I have for you there because Nichrome Rocks:headbang:
    Right on. I'll look into it a bit more in depth, what you chose for wire and settings. I've got an App called "Vape Tool" on my phone, that I've been messing with. It has scads of settings..enough to confuse. And it has!!

1708906077325.jpeg

I'm fumbling my way with it, it has so many parameters.

At WireOptim, they also have non-standard size wires, although I'm not sure what's all there.

Thanks for your experience and helping this old dude.

Something I noticed with Nichrome, it takes quite a lot of heat to get burned in, or there's been a bad taste. After it's seasoned to the heat, it seems to heat smoother than the stainless.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    So what are the benefits to using ribbon over wire? I've seen it but never got any to test with.
    I've read more surface area increases vapor and juice flow. Given that, I'll try it.

A single wrapped (Clapton) wire is said to have the same effects. I plan to try that as well.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    So what are the benefits to using ribbon over wire? I've seen it but never got any to test with.
    As Real-ist mentioned there's more surface area than normal round wire so in turn you will get more juice flow with more vapour produced(you won't be chuckin' big clouds though!!) and the more juice flow you have the more flavour you shall receive pumping into your face!! Also with ribbon wire you have a much much faster ramp up and cool down rate with the coil because it's very thin wire:thumb:

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
    Connecticut, USA

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    I've read more surface area increases vapor and juice flow. Given that, I'll try it.

A single wrapped (Clapton) wire is said to have the same effects. I plan to try that as well.

I often use single wrapped SS316L Clapton wire (in addition to other wire types). My preference leans SS316L, but I also enjoy Ni80 on occasion.

I'm currently running a single 28ss/36ss Clapton, 2.5ID, 7 wrap in my Squape Arise RTA. It comes in at 0.95Ω. It vapes very nicely between 10w - 20w. My SS316L coil only gets hot if I'm chain-vaping, which I rarely do, but sometimes yeah (LOL).

The flavor is awesome. Juice flow is excellent, although that IMHO is more dependent on the wick. Too tight in a coil will choke-off juice flow.

WireOptim has spools in-stock, here. Just select the wire type from the pull-down menu.

Here is their very handy chart for the various wires they stock. It shows you the coil ID, number of wraps and the ohms. Please note: the ohm values they display are only "approximate". According to their chart the coil I have in my Arise would be around 0.78Ω (as I noted above, it's 0.95Ω).

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    I often use single wrapped SS316L Clapton wire (in addition to other wire types). My preference leans SS316L, but I also enjoy Ni80 on occasion.

I'm currently running a single 28ss/36ss Clapton, 2.5ID, 7 wrap in my Squape Arise RTA. It comes in at 0.95Ω. It vapes very nicely between 10w - 20w. My SS316L coil only gets hot if I'm chain-vaping, which I rarely do, but sometimes yeah (LOL).

The flavor is awesome. Juice flow is excellent, although that IMHO is more dependent on the wick. Too tight in a coil will choke-off juice flow.

WireOptim has spools in-stock, here. Just select the wire type from the pull-down menu.

Here is their very handy chart for the various wires they stock. It shows you the coil ID, number of wraps and the ohms. Please note: the ohm values they display are only "approximate". According to their chart the coil I have in my Arise would be around 0.78Ω (as I noted above, it's 0.95Ω).

I've cruised that place several times and have 26ga Ni80 and 316L. Being as I borked the Kriemhilde, I decided to recoil and wick a Brunhilde. I did 11 wraps, 2.5mm at 1.04 ohm, 16 watts. It's working great.

Single wire clapton and ribbon wire are in my cart. I need to get it ordered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread