Clogged 201 battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

eturf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I have a few 201s. I like them for the good throat hit and rarely do they have a burned taste. I think this may be because the atty screen does not stick up that much so they don't deform the cart filling as much as an 801, and I rarely have to fluff up a 201 cart to get good performance. However, they get clogged up a lot.

I thought it was the attys getting clogged but finally realized it is the battery. All the attys draw fine when removed from the battery. Some batteries provide a relatively easy draw, some are hard to draw, one is almost impossible to draw (even though if drawn very slow it still produces great vapor and hit). The side holes are completely clean on all of the batteries right now (as are the threads), although I do experience a hard draw if they do get filled with juice. However, since they are now clean and the battery is still clogged, it is something else clogging it.

Is there some difference in the threads that could account for this? Or is the air being drawn through the battery and there is something inside the battery that is clogged?

One problem I have is not understanding how the air flows through the atty and battery. Is any air actually drawn through the battery or is the center hole in the battery only for the microphone?

I took apart a dead 201 battery today and noticed it had a membrane over the mic. I peeled this off and removed the connector from the battery thinking I could perhaps use this in a mod. It has a tiny pinhole through the middle. When I screw this connector onto an atty I can only draw the smallest amount (as much as my worst clogged battery) so it makes me think that the battery casing provides some kind of gap to allow airflow, but I cannot see how.

eturf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Well, I could never figure out what was "clogging" the batteries but did find an easy fix. That was to use a cutting wheel on a dremel and make a small shallow groove on the top threaded lip of the battery, going down the threads, and continuing into the battery casing a hair. This provides airflow to the atty. With a badly clogged one it required going down two sides. Start with the shallowest of grooves since if it is too deep it will make it draw too airily like a run-of-the-mill 801 :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread