Cleito 120 coil taken apart - opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuakerJ

Jan 3, 2018
Hi folks. I have a Kylin RTA and I've been experimenting with making various coils in an attempt to maximize flavor, with reasonable performance (okay battery life, fast wicking, decent cloud production.)

I've only been moderately successful, so I decided to take a Cleito 120 (one of my favorites) coil apart, as the product literature mentions their using a Clapton coil; I was curious what I might find inside.

What was inside surprised me. It's double coil configuration with three or four wraps each, sandwiched in cotton from both sides. The whole thing is made with 24 gauge. Like a giant spiral, it's not a close wrap at all, probably 2-3 mm between each wind. What is unique about it, is that each it starts out as single wire (one leg each for positive and negative) then there is a secondary wire soldered at each end to the first one about 3/4 an inch in. So picturing each one individually, it starts out as a single wire, then becomes a parallel (it's not even twisted, just runs beside the first) but only partway through the spiral. Then they put two in the same package to make a dual coil.

I wish I'd taken a picture of it, but for example first wrap from each end is single coil, then the middle three wraps has the second wire attached to it. This must be how they are able to identify it as a "clapton" coil, but it doesn't resemble a clapton coil in the traditional sense. Hope the description makes sense.

I took the coils out and wrapped it as is over a 2.5mm mandrel, and put a very slight space in between wraps. It came out to approx. 5-6 wraps each; I installed both as dual coil in my RTA. Ohms out to 0.16 (dual), which is exactly what it measured in the Cleito 120 coil.

Wicked them with Cotton Bacon and strangely enough, it performs pretty darn close to how it vaped in the Cleito tank. Very fast ramp up, no burning, and quick cycling (doesn't take forever to heat/prime or for coil to cool down) Great flavor. Pretty impressed. What is weird is that on a dry fire, only the inside 2-3 wraps gets red hot-- these are the inner wraps where the second wire has been soldered on. The outside legs/wraps do not glow red. I wonder if the secondary wire is a different material, but I can't be sure. The wire (all of it) was very flexible/pliable, which is very unlike the kanthal A1 I'm used to working with. This might be because it's a heavily used coil with a lot of heat cycles perhaps, I'm not sure.

Curious if anyone has run across this before, or what you think about it. It vapes better than all the different twisted combinations I've tried- I'm not proficient enough at wrapping to attempt a true clapton yet.

QuakerJ

Jan 3, 2018
vape1.jpg
vape2.jpg
vape3.jpg

I suppose a picture is worth a thousand words.. If the beginning and end of the coils are in fact non-resistance, I like it. This is a great setup so far. Flavor is great, cloud production strong, and ramp up/down time is much better than twisted I've tried. Doesn't seem to go through a hellacious amount of juice either.

Nice to know I have a purpose for all my old pre-made coils. Keep in mind these are photos of the coils after I salvaged them from a genuine Cleito 120 coil and re-wrapped them to fit my Kylin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread