Cleaning up after 100mg nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
So I finally made my first 30ml juice after reading LOTS and lots of information from here and reddit.... Lots of research led me to buy 100mg MFS 100%VG nic and bull city flavors.... Got syringes for everything and kept it separate, had all my tools and bottles laid out.... But the one thing I didn't account for is the clean up! Lol

How exactly do you guys clean your tools (syringes, bottles, breakers, etc) that touch 100mg nic? What's the correct procedure?

I took everything to the sink and rinsed with water first, then scrubbed with dish soap and rinsed again.

Should I be cleaning differently?

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I only work with a 30 ml bottle of 100mg nic at a time. Since I vape 10mg e-juice I use a 3ml syringe when making my flavors. That is the only thing that touches the high strength nic. I have several mixes that I vape all the time so make 30 mls of those at a time. I mix my finished product directly in the 30ml bottle. In my case, since the only thing that touches the high strength nic is the one 3ml syringe, I just rinse that syringe under hot running water. Remove the plunger and wash it well under the water. Dry it off, put it back together and store it with my nic. I would rather not use any kind of soap for fear that some it of might hide in a crevice. Soap bubbles are fun to play with but I wouldn't want to vape 'em :D

I am comfortable with the way I do it but you have to do what makes you feel comfortable.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
100 mg nicotine is bad only when it is spilled. Otherwise it is just mildly toxic.
To be on safer side (I do not use gloves) I do not use 100 mg nic when mixing, I dilute it to 50 mg and keep it (in 100 ml bottle) in my desk to use when needed.
As for cleaning – rinsing is good enough. PG and VG are soluble and no soap is required. I am avoiding using soap – it can contaminate labware.

I also only use hot water on my mixing tools, since small amounts of nic on them is not a big deal. But I do my mixing in a clean sink and clean it out with soap when I am done.

One thing that is not often discussed is that the hazard of nic to you is relative to your tolerance. I vape 30-36 mg nic, and I can lick small amounts of that off my fingers (although I do not recommend that) without getting buzzed. But someone that uses 3 mg might get sick from 36 mg nic. And of course non-smokers and especially children have no tolerance, so if you are working on surfaces that others have contact with, or food will touch, you should scrub those down.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So I finally made my first 30ml juice after reading LOTS and lots of information from here and reddit.... Lots of research led me to buy 100mg MFS 100%VG nic and bull city flavors.... Got syringes for everything and kept it separate, had all my tools and bottles laid out.... But the one thing I didn't account for is the clean up! Lol

How exactly do you guys clean your tools (syringes, bottles, breakers, etc) that touch 100mg nic? What's the correct procedure?

I took everything to the sink and rinsed with water first, then scrubbed with dish soap and rinsed again.

Should I be cleaning differently?

Soap and Water will work fine for DIY Clean-Up.

---

When working with 100mg, of course you should wear Gloves. But I would also suggest that you wear some sort of Eye Protection. Safety Glass are Great. But even a pair of Cheap Sunglasses will keep an Errant Flick of Nicotine Base out of your Eye.

You get 100mg in your Eye and you are going to Walk Around like this for Awhile. :blink:

BTW - When doing you Mixing or Measuring, I would ALLWAYS work over a Low Lipped Tray or a Least a Cookie Sheet. Spills Happen. Better to spill onto a Tray that you can Contain the Spill in. Than to Spill onto your Hardwood Table or Desk.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I clean my syringes with warm water then pull the plunger dip it in vg and reincert the plunger and plunge a few times. It helps them last a little longer. Dipping your plunger in VG before using will also help that syringe that's starting to get stiff..

100mg is not as dangerious as most lead you to believe. If you get some on your skin just wash it off right away. I've even let it linger on my skin and on rare occasion all I wound up with was a slight headache. Thats not to say that would be the symptom for everyone but just use common sense when handling it and most people will be fine. If you spill a large quantity wear rubber gloves and clean it up right away. Ingesting high concentrations of NIC is bad if you ingest it seek medical attention at once. The few drops that may once in a while drip into your mouth while vaping is harmless and just taste bad.

Last edited:

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
Thanks to everyone for all the information. I guess since I was in uncharted territory I was just being a little over cautious :) I still treat the nicotine with care but not like it's Lava..... I did a few bottles tonight at one time and I can't lie it was very fun. I just felt after ward like "this is it?" I guess I imagined something more difficult. By the way the snake oil clones floating around are spot on ;)

Alien Traveler, you don't store your nicotine in the freezer? How quickly do you go through it?

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I do store it in a freezer (1 L I bought relatively recently, now it is in smaller bottles in a freezer, I believe I will use it for at least 6 years, may be 10).
I started DIY about 5 month ago and I still use the same nicotine - stored in white plastic bottle in my desk, opened many times and still no observable changes. Clean as water, the same taste as 5 month ago. It is 48 mg in VG.

P.S. Now I use my "new" nicotine also - I just had to compare it to the old one. Store a bit of it in in amber bottle in the same desk.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello everyone, I always have trouble pulling the plunger out of my syringes. They won't com out. Did I buy the wrong syringe, or should I try harder? Mine are from WL (I think.)

Are you saying that it is Hard to Draw Liquid with the Syringe? Or are they Hard to Pull the Plunger when they are Empty?

If it is Hard to Draw Liquid, sounds like the Diameter of the Needle you are using is Too Small.

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I dilute it to 50 mg and keep it (in 100 ml bottle) in my desk to use when needed.

Honestly everyone should do this. 50mg is more than enough where 2-5 drops will make an entire 30mL bottle quite nicotine-y.

I actually use 24mg to boost nic of juices. 10 drops in a 30mL bottle is often MORE than enough.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Are you saying that it is Hard to Draw Liquid with the Syringe? Or are they Hard to Pull the Plunger when they are Empty?

If it is Hard to Draw Liquid, sounds like the Diameter of the Needle you are using is Too Small.

Never mind the newbie question. I managed to pull the plunger out for cleaning. But the rubber has shrunk and dried out. Will see if I can revive it with some vg.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Never mind the newbie question. I managed to pull the plunger out for cleaning. But the rubber has shrunk and dried out. Will see if I can revive it with some vg.

Never feel like you Can't Ask a Question because it is a Newbie Question. Ask as Many a you Want.

And 9 Times out of 10 when someone asks a Question, there are Others reading the Thread who pick up some Info from the Answer.

we87

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
DFW, TX
Never feel like you Can't Ask a Question because it is a Newbie Question. Ask as Many a you Want.

And 9 Times out of 10 when someone asks a Question, there are Others reading the Thread who pick up some Info from the Answer.

I agree with that 100%. I read alot more than I ask because most of the time the information is already iut there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread