Cleaning my tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I am relatively new to vaping, but I am current using a Kanger Pro 2 mini as my primary tank. I have an Aspire BDC (I don't use it, because I only have a 900mah eGo battery, and it drains it in less than three hours). Then I have my backups, an E1-W (Metal cover plastic tank, works decent) and another tank that is not labelled but was just given to me.

How should I clean these tanks and how often? Would rinsing them under warm water, then soaking them in rubbing alcohol work (then another rinse and an air dry). I have two coils for my Pro 2 mini - One is for fruity flavored, and the other is for heavy, non fruity stuff (right now loaded with delicious vanilla tobacco flavoring). Should I soak the coils in alcohol?

Aside from taking them apart and rinsing them, I have little knowledge of cleaning tanks.

Any help appreciated! :)

Avid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Cleaning the coils in alcohol should be fine, though I usually just run hot water through my BDC's, blow out and then let air dry. As for the tanks, I only have glass ones which I clean in mildly soapy water if I'm changing flavors or just a rinse if I'm putting the same flavor back in. I'm not sure that cleaning plastic tanks with alcohol is a good idea. If you rinse them but can't get the smell/flavor out, maybe a soak in warm water with a small amount of baking soda might work.

Bumping for someone who knows for sure to answer!

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
New info. I now use a Kanger ProTank 2 Mini - Got one from a local shop for under $10, and it came with two coils. This is perfect because I can use one coil for my fruity flavors, and one for my dark vanilla tobacco flavor (best thing ever). I know I will have to replace the coils eventually, but for now I am wondering about cleaning.

Here is my procedure:
1) disassemble and run each part under hot water
2) soak the parts in rubbing alcohol for about ten minutes (coil included)
3) take out of alcohol and run under hot water again, to get the alch off
4) run every part except the coil under hot soapy water (just briefly)
5) set out on a towel to dry, and/or use a can of air to blow out all water from each piece.

Is this decent enough? Should I do this every night or just once a week or something?

If I don't do the full routine above, I just run everything under hot water and then let it air dry over night.

Any tips or comments would be helpful!

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
I don't see a need for steps 3 & 4. The alcohol will evaporate quite quickly, and quite cleanly, especially if you are using the 99% stuff.

I wouldn't do it every night, once or twice a week should suffice, or whenever things don't taste right.

I've found that the alcohol soak isn't really necessary. Lately I just soak the parts in soapy water for a while, rinse, dry.

Where do you get your dark vanilla tobacco from?

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I don't see a need for steps 3 & 4. The alcohol will evaporate quite quickly, and quite cleanly, especially if you are using the 99% stuff.

I wouldn't do it every night, once or twice a week should suffice, or whenever things don't taste right.

I've found that the alcohol soak isn't really necessary. Lately I just soak the parts in soapy water for a while, rinse, dry.

Where do you get your dark vanilla tobacco from?

A local vape shop - they sell 70/30 PG VG for $9.99 for 30ml. They also have big buckets filled with juices that are on sale, those are $5 for 30.

The company is called St. Louis E-Cigs

Also, since I am not going to clean everything every day with alch, is it safe to run it all under hot soapy water? I would do this mainly before a flavor change.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
A local vape shop - they sell 70/30 PG VG for $9.99 for 30ml. They also have big buckets filled with juices that are on sale, those are $5 for 30.

The company is called St. Louis E-Cigs

Also, since I am not going to clean everything every day with alch, is it safe to run it all under hot soapy water? I would do this mainly before a flavor change.

Oh ok. My source discontinued their Vanilla Tobacco, it's my favorite flavor by far!!

Yes I think you are safe. I do it all of the time. You just want things to be dry before use for the best performance.

M3CH M0D M4DN355

Aug 21, 2014
UK
I bought a really cheap ultrasonic cleaner that was designed for jewellery just to clean my atties, just put a drop of dish soap in there and fill with warm water, break you atty down and pop it in and let the cleaner do its thing, then once its done just rinse under the tap to remove soap residue and job done. It works incredibly well! ;)

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Personally I just rinse with hot water or maybe a 30 minute soak. I do not see why you would soak in alcohol? I do not see a point in that. Maybe a cotton swab to the outside to kill germs?

Sometimes I will stick a coffee cup under the keurig and run hot water on the coils inside. If the liquid is particularly gunky, I have soaked them in hot dishwater for a few minutes. Then rinse. I usually save that for a generally strong nasty flavor. It works on clove liquid nicely.

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Personally I just rinse with hot water or maybe a 30 minute soak. I do not see why you would soak in alcohol? I do not see a point in that. Maybe a cotton swab to the outside to kill germs?

Sometimes I will stick a coffee cup under the keurig and run hot water on the coils inside. If the liquid is particularly gunky, I have soaked them in hot dishwater for a few minutes. Then rinse. I usually save that for a generally strong nasty flavor. It works on clove liquid nicely.

I read a lot about cleaning and a lot of people seem to soak their parts in vodka. I was just thinking no vodka, and maybe rubbing alcohol....Because vodka is basically rubbing alcohol. Lol

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
I read a lot about cleaning and a lot of people seem to soak their parts in vodka. I was just thinking no vodka, and maybe rubbing alcohol....Because vodka is basically rubbing alcohol. Lol

Grain alcohol works well too, but seems like such a waste!! These alcohols certainly do a good job of cleaning, it's just an unnecessary expense IMO.
I do use alcohol for new pieces or for items I may get from the classifieds. For routine cleaning, soap & water does just fine.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy

Drink the vodka. :) Do not drink the rubbing alcohol. Now maybe you could use Mad Dog 50/50. That stuff tastes like rubbing alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread