cleaning copper mech mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catuela

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
Chester, VA
I've polished copper heatsink for a computer before with a dremel and the red compound that they make. I ran the dremel at max speed for quite a while and had no issues with it. That heatsink looked like a mirror when I was done. I really don't think you have too much to worry about. On a side note, did you know you can use regular cheap toothpaste as a rubbing compound substitute depending on the surface.

Those headlight repair kits that restore fogged headlights can be expensive, and with a little elbow grease you can get the same results with Crest.

montara

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
Nor-Cal
Do NOT use compound, you will just end up chasing the tarnish around and will remove any engravings. What mod do you have?
The above ketchup and a soft cloth works. Mothers or Cape Cods are worth investment.
Consider sealing w/done so you don't have to clean weekly. IMO nothing beats automotive ceramic paint sealant, even safe (zero voltage drop) on threads.

MikeChino

Apr 14, 2014
United States
To Clean my copper. i take a small bowl sprinkle some salt in the bottom, take some lemon juice from the little fake lemon bottle squeeze some in the bowl, take the old tooth brush mix it around and start brushing the mod, then once its all shiny rinse with water and take a micro fiber cloth to dry it, if you want it to stay shiny you can shoot it with a coat or 2 of clear.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I use a simple jewelers cloth. I put nothing on it and get good results. When the cloth "blackens" too much, I replace it. Works good for me.
y9equjez.jpg
I am not a fan of putting compounds or sealants of any kind on what I consider a fine piece of jewlery. That's just me though..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread