Cleaning Clearomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
How do you all go about cleaning out your tanks, most specifically the coils and wick part. I have washed out the actual tube, but I already ruined a few wicks trying to clean the one in my ISmoka. I had out the tobacco flavor in that tank and wanted to get that harsh taste out and use for more fruity flavors. Even after cleaning the tank and putting in a replacement wick it still doesn't seem to taste the same anymore.

Anyway, any tips on these tanks and coils? Can I just soak all the parts in water or do I have to take the wick piece out and dry burn? Is there a part I can't get wet? How often should I clean? Any tips or links to previous posts would be greatly appreciated.

I have:
1 Protank
2 iClear 16's
1 CE4
1 iSmoka

Thank you

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I've heard that soaking parts in vodka works well if you really want to clean rather then replace.
I tend to replace the coils in all of my clearos every week or two instead as they are so cheap.

I may have to do the vodka with one of my iSmoka. I loved the hit when I had tobacco flavor in it, but now I rather vape fruit flavor and need to kill that tobacco taste that can't come out. Do people put the whole coil in the vodka as well?

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
I don't know why you would take the wick out for a dry burn.

Using the ce4 and ce5's. I clean when the draw becomes weak or a funky taste begins.

The Ce4, I use tweezers to pull the grommet out. Rinse with warm water to get the visible juice out. Fill with grain alcohol (vodka will work but I use highest percent alcohol I can get) and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds to "loosen up" the gunk. Rinse again to get the grain alcohol out since it's flammable. Then dry burn with the wick in. If the wick is cotton I dry burn for a lot less time than I do if it is silica. Then alcohol again. Then water and shake a few times to get the alcohol out.

Look at the coils before and after. If you use it right away it takes a bit of puffing to get the water out of the wick and the vape to be full again.

Last edited:

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know why you would take the wick out for a dry burn.

Using the ce4 and ce5's. I clean when the draw becomes weak or a funky taste begins.

The Ce4, I use tweezers to pull the grommet out. Rinse with warm water to get the visible juice out. Fill with grain alcohol (vodka will work but I use highest percent alcohol I can get) and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds to "loosen up" the gunk. Then dry burn with the wick in. If the wick is cotton I dry burn for a lot less time than I do if it is silica. Then alcohol again. Then water and shake a few times to get the alcohol out.

Look at the coils before and after. If you use it right away it takes a bit of puffing to get the water out of the wick and the vape to be full again.

This is great info. I guess my problem with this process, is I don't really have knowledge of the parts in a wick. So when you say "take the grommet out" and dry burn. I need to get info on that parts. Maybe there is a YouTube video with this basic info for me. Thanks a lot for your thoughts and help.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
The grommet is the silicone (rubber) part on top of the center post, usually with metal poking out but not always. If you look down in the hole with the mouthpiece out it is what you are actually looking out.

Oh, forgot a step, water rinse between alcohol and dry burn. edited post to reflect

It also helps to see it. Youtube has videos, here's one that should be adaptable to all your devices. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3keMI4j-kg

Last edited:

Smokachino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Texas, USA
This is great info. I guess my problem with this process, is I don't really have knowledge of the parts in a wick. So when you say "take the grommet out" and dry burn. I need to get info on that parts. Maybe there is a YouTube video with this basic info for me. Thanks a lot for your thoughts and help.

Yep, I just googled "dry burn CE4" and there are a lot of videos out there. I don't have that particular clearo, so can't offer any personal experience with that one.

xpackaday

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I found for the protank, wash out the tank. The head with the 510 thread I place against the kitchen faucet running hot water through the thread side. after 30 sec's, I then put my finger over the tube forcing the water to run through the wick. it come out clean. But some flavors it seems you can never get rid of the flavor.

VaWildlife

Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Richmond, VA
Flavor can be hard to overcome it's seems that vodka and other clear grain alcohols do best and a quick rinse never hurts. I tend to soak mine in vodka for about 30 minutes but don't see a need to go longer. I just haven't found that longer makes that big a difference. I will let it air dry for a bit and blow things out, the wick eventually will burn away the alcohol and you'll start getting the flavor of the juice. Now there does seem to be a life on the silica that is at the coil site. The silica just gets burnt from what I see and once it's a couple of weeks, month at most, there just isn't going to be an improvement in flavor. I have found that with any atomizer you need to give it time to saturate the longer you wait to actually fire the atomizer the less the chance you'll have a burnt or off flavor. I've filled and let cartos sit overnight before use and have even done so with the protank thought I'm only on my second head with the latter. It just didn't taste right so I let it set and the flavor improved. Patience seems the be the answer for me. For a quick vape just drip.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
I just wash my stuff over the zink carefully and dry it with paper towels. And afterwards i just dry burn it. Works like a charm every time :p

I did it this way the first time. I find using alcohol in the process is more thorough so I can go longer between cleanings. Whatever works for the individual.

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Just an update, I ended up cleaning my 2 iClear tanks since those were the first two I bought. I found a few YouTube vids that just showed how to take them apart and just clean the tank and wicks, then dry burn...they both came out great and much easier to hit now...I probably should of let the wicks dry a little more after the dry burn because the juice seems a little watered down at first.

I will try the ProTank later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread