cleaning cartomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2011
Washington DC
After watching one of the videos (suggested by you good forum folks!) I have learned how easy it is to pop the end off a cartomizer and refill. That works great - thanks!

The video also recommended cleaning older cartomizers by: 1) removing the two end plastic pieces, and 2) dropping in some boiling water for a few minutes.

I decided to try this and am not having success with my cleaned cartomizers. I blew them out and left them to dry for a couple of days, and the wadding looks quite clean. But the do not seem to hold much juice (drops appear below the battery end much more quickly than with un-cleaned cartomizers I refill). And although they produce some vapor, they don't produce nearly as much as cartomizers I have not cleaned. I cleaned 3 and they all seem to react this way.

Do you think they are still not quite dry? Any thoughts appreciated!

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I would say they are still wet. The next time you clean some, put them in a food dehydrator if you have one. Works like a charm. Another way is to stick a wadded/twisted paper towel in the end after you sling as much water out of them as you can. After 24 hours, turn the paper towel around and do it again. I've cleaned tons of them by drying mine in a food dehydrator and have never experienced not being able to fill them with anything under 20 drops on first fill. Sorry you're having problems and I hope that my info helps.

dupont

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2011
Washington DC
Thanks, I suspected they were still wet. I don't have a dehydrator, but I'll probably experiment with stuff around the house (oven on very low, etc.) or just give them more time to air dry.

Also, the cleaning didn't work perfectly on the first run, but it's not really a problem. In the last month (with the help of this forum) I have progressed from thinking of cartomizers as a single-use item, to dripping through the mouth-piece hole, to the condom method, to removing the end cap - each step a big improvement! I'll keep fiddling with cleaning - Thanks.

Some (actually most) survive the boiling process, and I've heard 510 carto's have a plastic ring in em that won't survive it. I on't know this from experience.
808"s do well.
I've had some flavors that were downright stubborn, and would take multiple boils and rinses just to get the taste out. It was peppermint, and after all the boil/rinse processes (4 times) I pretty much resolved to myself it was useless unless i ws going to use the same (or similar) flavor back in them.
That then raises the question of why boil em, if it was so hard (if not impossible) to get the flavor out? Just refill with the same flavor or toss em. There really isn't a lot of longevity in carto's anyways, and I generally get 8 to 10 refills in them.

After a boil, they generally have a sllght degradation of quality. They don't seem to vape as well.

Ok, so that's my $.02c

Pig

What I find is some juices will flat out kill a carto. and others will last long. I had one flavor go 18 refills and I lost the carto.
I don't know how long it would have lasted. Mind you, it was getting a tight draw and vapor was dropping.

Some of the darker fluids (seems as a rule) are hard on carto's. A Dk Choc flavor I had would kill a fresh carto in one fill.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Most people do not have success cleaning stuffing-type cartomizers, most particularly at drying them and ever getting them to work well again

My recommendation is that you not count on being about to clean cartos. Buy plenty of cartos. Do not use cartos to test juices. Only put juices you like in cartos. And then keep the carto damp with the juice and use the carto for as long as it works well. Then discard it or save it to attempt cleaning, but don't count on being able to clean it.

I find my stuffing-type cartos work well the longest with them juices w/ 20% or less VG, especially clear light colored juices that leave no residue.

If you still want to try to clean AND DRY them, then go read the previous threads on this topic. Go to Goodle and do each of these searches and read the threads:
site:e-cigarette-forum.com clean carto
site:e-cigarette-forum.com clean cartomizer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread