Status
Not open for further replies.

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
Rule #2 in the classifieds says "Always get a full name, address and phone number for the seller if the cost is over, say, $50. It is your responsibility to confirm these are genuine BEFORE paying."

How are we supposed to confirm the seller's full name, address, and phone number? Can someone give me an example of how a buyer can ask the seller for all that personal info without being a buzzkill (detering the sale) ? I mean, the rule makes complete sense but for example I just bought like a $145 Amp in 2 minutes worth of PMs, I asked for his email, sent paypal, told him my address and it's coming. And in the previous 3-4 purchases I've made over $50, I never got the impression they wanted to give out their phone numbers! Did I screw up? Am I a sucker? Can a seasoned classy buyer (or seller for that matter) chime in and tell me what the protocol is for a smooth correspondence? Am I reading too much into this? My gut tells me I'm going to receive all the things I've ordered but I wanna know for future transactions, especially if I ever decide to sell.

Thanks in advance for your attention and assistance my brothers and sisters who live inside my computer. :)

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I am carefull to check the feedback of someone I am buying from in the classies. If they have more then 5 positives from previous buyers, I dont worry too much about them. If they have no or little feedback I would ask for the info like this: " I see you dont have much/any feedback and dont mean to call your integrity in to question but would like some more information". Most sellers have been buyers also and will understand.

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
Business is business. Protecting your self is the only way business should be done. If the seller does not understand that and encourage that there is a problem. If your sending money to someone they should have no problem sending you a little info. If they have half a brain they will not be offended. If they act all offended I would hold on to your money.
And yes, PayPal almost always sides with the buyer. For the buyer it's quite safe.

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
not really - paypal will help only if there is money in the account to charge back to ;)

my preferred transaction is pp through my visa card.

but i believe the op's question was not directed at that. he wants to know how, as a buyer, can he check on the seller's info and verify

There does not have to be money in the PayPal acct for PayPal to take money back. They can and will dip into the checking acct attached to the PayPal acct. I deal in pinball machines through PayPal all the time. I average 3-4 $2000+ transactions a month through PayPal. While 95% of them have been good transaction I have had problem and know others in the same hobby to have problems. They will certainly side with the buyer and dip into the sellers attached acct. I've seen it happen plentry of times.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
provided there's money in the checking account! ;)

glad you never had that experience where there was no happy ending but, believe me, if it was set up as a scam to begin with, that bank account won't help.
chances of that happening with a classy sale are pretty small - the small amounts (relatively speaking) don't justify the amount of planning needed to pull it off, i.e. opening and closing accounts

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Those rules are in place to protect the buyer but you don't have to follow them to the letter. It's at your own risk if you don't get all the info but like others have said if you pay via PP you are most likely covered. I would never give out my cell # to a stranger and nobody has ever asked me for it. If there feedback score is fairly high and all positive the risk is low of getting screwed. There hasn't been much if any scams since all the new rules and verification has been in place.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Those rules are in place to protect the buyer but you don't have to follow them to the letter. It's at your own risk if you don't get all the info but like others have said if you pay via PP you are most likely covered. I would never give out my cell # to a stranger and nobody has ever asked me for it. If there feedback score is fairly high and all positive the risk is low of getting screwed. There hasn't been much if any scams since all the new rules and verification has been in place.

haha! you better hope i'll never buy from you, terry - i wouldn't let that opportunity slip by! ;)

and what is this ''stranger'' business?

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
haha! you better hope i'll never buy from you, terry - i wouldn't let that opportunity slip by! ;)

and what is this ''stranger'' business?

I don't consider you a stranger so ask away. ;)

Seriously though if I don't know the buyer I won't give out my cell #. And if I do know the buyer they would have no reason to ask. :) They would know that I am trustworthy.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rule #2 in the classifieds says "Always get a full name, address and phone number for the seller if the cost is over, say, $50. It is your responsibility to confirm these are genuine BEFORE paying."

How are we supposed to confirm the seller's full name, address, and phone number? Can someone give me an example of how a buyer can ask the seller for all that personal info without being a buzzkill (detering the sale) ? I mean, the rule makes complete sense but for example I just bought like a $145 Amp in 2 minutes worth of PMs, I asked for his email, sent paypal, told him my address and it's coming. And in the previous 3-4 purchases I've made over $50, I never got the impression they wanted to give out their phone numbers! Did I screw up? Am I a sucker? Can a seasoned classy buyer (or seller for that matter) chime in and tell me what the protocol is for a smooth correspondence? Am I reading too much into this? My gut tells me I'm going to receive all the things I've ordered but I wanna know for future transactions, especially if I ever decide to sell.

Thanks in advance for your attention and assistance my brothers and sisters who live inside my computer. :)

You have to keep in mind that some of the rules, such as this one, is suggestive. Basically it's giving you an example of ways to protect yourself. So by not asking for a phone number won't have any ill effect on you and your account.

Besides, I use that rule to get phone numbers of hot chicks on the forum :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread