Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I just built my first clapton coil after some trepidation about how difficult it would be to build and what my target resistance would be.
I was pleasantly surprised how easy the build was, and further surprised by the realization that the core wire provides the main guide to the end resistance. In retrospect this seems pretty obvious. Electricity follows the path of least resistance, meaning the the wrapped wire just adds additional mass and surface area.
The flavour and vapor production is excellent, and the need for super high wattage devices has become far clearer to me. I was only able to push 60 watts through this baby coil, it needed more.
I'm an engineer and I should know better. It's not until you build/repair something that it's inherent function becomes clear.

26G wrapped wrapped with 32G ID3mm at 0.49ohms on a Mutation X V3
MrkIYOn.jpg

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I just built my first clapton coil after some trepidation about how difficult it would be to build and what my target resistance would be.
I was pleasantly surprised how easy the build was, and further surprised by the realization that the core wire provides the main guide to the end resistance. In retrospect this seems pretty obvious. Electricity follows the path of least resistance, meaning the the wrapped wire just adds additional mass and surface area.
The flavour and vapor production is excellent, and the need for super high wattage devices has become far clearer to me. I was only able to push 60 watts through this baby coil, it needed more.
I'm an engineer and I should know better. It's not until you build/repair something that it's inherent function becomes clear.

26G wrapped wrapped with 32G ID3mm at 0.49ohms on a Mutation X V3
MrkIYOn.jpg
Good job on your first clapton! I've found that the most difficult part is wrapping and then mounting Claptons. Actually making them is pretty easy.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Did you try it with kanthal or Nichrome? I've just started doing Clapton coils and found that you can get away with less wattage if you use nichrome, at least on the outer wrap. It heats up much quicker. I went through a 50 foot roll of nichrome in a few weeks messing around with Clapton's. I ve tried 34 and 30 gauge wire for the outer wraps and I think for me personally, 32 gauge is where it will be at. Ordering some as soon as I get home from vacation.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
For the life of me, I want get the 32ga wire to wrap properly around the 26ga. I think I need a different drill. One that closes completely if that makes any sense. Can't get a good grip on the 26ga.

my panasonic cordless drill that broke had a nice chuck that closed all the way, one of the three chuck teeth misaligned and it was game over! :( i went and bought a ryobi without even thinking for this problem of the chuck closing completely, sure enough the ryobi does not! But you can just bend a leg in the end of the wire and trap it between two of the three teeth, works good enough once you get used to it :)

edit: just twist your two wires together before making a leg then the clapton wire wont freely spin

Reactions: MattyRetro

Subversivedeviant1

Verified Member
Apr 13, 2015
Caucasia
Congrats[emoji106] I wrapped my first Clapton last week, though it's not as pretty as urs. I tossed a pair in my mutilator rda on my mech and quickly came to the same realization that you did: I need more warts! Had to pulse it a bit to get a good tasty hit and it was draining my batteries real quick so I had to swap to a different build. Definitely something I'll try again down the road when I have adequate power.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The funny thing was the drill I have has no variable speed, and I considered this essential from the tutorial videos I had seen. I went ahead and tried anyway. The first few wraps are a mess, but the wire seems to naturally want to wrap sequentially and vast majority wrapped perfectly even without a slow start.
I found the tricky part was keeping the 32g spooling smoothly when both your hands are occupied. I had the reel loosely held on the floor under my foot.

I tied the 32 to the end of the 26 that I inserted in the chuck, and guided it out the side of the chuck. If the chuck isn't gripping the end of the 26, try wrapping a little bit of tape around the end to give it more purchase.

This is a relatively small clapton, but it ate by battery alive.I can only imagine what it would be like with one with more mass.

Reactions: MattyRetro

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I tried the pen method but couldn't get the right tension on the wire (as i prefer to just leave the wire on the spool, and use 34ga and up). I ended up getting a fly fishing bobbin and some beadalon wire tamers similar to these below. setting the tamer just snug enough to keep tension and the wire from unspooling, but also loose enough to allow the spool to let out wire easily.

norbobbin.jpg

k2-_9ca5abfd-c988-4d90-b9dc-f1f2e43a47c3.v1.jpg

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread