Cigar Flavor Extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I tried extracting flavor from a cigar for the first time.

Cut up the cigar into thin pieces, poured PG (eyeballed it enough to cover) into the mason jar and cooked in a pressure cooker in low setting for 11 hours. The mason jar was propped up with a base in the pressure cooker, the lid was was screwed only slightly and there was about couple of pints of water in it.

I filtered the lot through a coffee filter and got about 180 ml of flavor liquid.

#1 - Not sure if I am supposed to get 180 ml, cause I didn't put that much PG in it. Is there some water vapor that's condensed in it? Do I need to get rid of the water somehow? It's dark brown in color.

#2 I was hoping for a cigar type aroma or at least some type of sweet natural tobacco smell. This thing does not smell like that at all :). The best description I can think of is..some kind of rotten grass smell (if you leave lawn clippings in the green bin and smell it after 3-4 days). It's not overtly unpleasant, but it definitely doesn't smell like that cigar. It wasn't a high end cigar, but it smelled pretty good to me.

Is this how it's supposed to be? What has been your experience?

Thanks

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Since you eyeballed it, there is no way to know if the 180mL yield is appropriate or not. If the jar was sealed correctly, water condensation would have had no way to get into your extraction. As far as the smell, my extracts never smell like the actual tobacco/cigar that went into the jar. After you mix a sample, however, at between 5-20% (I know, alot of variation with extract potency depending on your particular method/tobacco), it should smell pretty good after aging a week or more.

I say mix a sample up at 10% with 1%EM and let it sit for 10 days. Try that out and see how it tastes.

Since you eyeballed it, there is no way to know if the 180mL yield is appropriate or not. If the jar was sealed correctly, water condensation would have had no way to get into your extraction. As far as the smell, my extracts never smell like the actual tobacco/cigar that went into the jar. After you mix a sample, however, at between 5-20% (I know, alot of variation with extract potency depending on your particular method/tobacco), it should smell pretty good after aging a week or more.

I say mix a sample up at 10% with 1%EM and let it sit for 10 days. Try that out and see how it tastes.

It wasn't that much of an eyeballing..I know it was not more than 100ml because I didn't have that much PG to begin with. Also, the instructions for the pressure cooker method, specifically asked to place the lid on the mason jar but not close it. I think that's how I set it up.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try mixing it a bit. I have a feeling this could be bit of an adventure.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
It wasn't that much of an eyeballing..I know it was not more than 100ml because I didn't have that much PG to begin with. Also, the instructions for the pressure cooker method, specifically asked to place the lid on the mason jar but not close it. I think that's how I set it up.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try mixing it a bit. I have a feeling this could be bit of an adventure.

Well, I'm not sure if keeping the lid open is something most people do or not, but the way I do it is with the lid closed tight, completely sealed. If you're absolutely sure that you didn't put that much PG in there, than yes, the condensation got into your jar and diluted your mixture. I've had something similar happen to me before and it made the extract hard to work with because the taste was so faint and the concentrate was very watery. High %'s of very watery concentrate isn't the way I like to do things (I'm a heavy VG vaper).

I still think you should try it out at 10% and see how that works out. Some people leave out EM, but I like adding it at 1-2% in my extract recipes because I find that the extracts are pretty harsh at times.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

If I remember correctly, PG is classified as a humectant, it actually draws and absorbs water. Considering the pressurized humid environment a pressure cooker would create you may well have a lot of water in your extraction. If you feel there is too much water in the mix perhaps you could evaporate some of it off by placing the extract in an open oven proof container and placing it in an electric oven set on warm <150F for an hour or two. Just a guess as I don't know if PG will release absorbed water under those conditions. Also, you might consider that cooking extract in a pressure cooker may have released many fine tobacco solids into the PG, these solids will quickly gunk up your coil/wick so a thorough filtering of the extract is important. I've never created a tobacco extract with the level of heat generated inside a pressure cooker so be sure and post your results/observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread