Charging bags for Li-Ion bats etc from the RC World..

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCloud

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
In da swamps, LA, USA
Not sure if its been brought up before but I just thought I'd mention a extra safety precaution you can take with charging your batteries. Use one of the Bags that are specially made for charging large Li-Ion battery packs for Remote Control vehicles. I use one that is large enough I could fit 3 entire double chargers inside the bag and seal it all at once. They offer lots of room and lots of protection just in case. They are so good that I will leave them unattended in a pyrex dish to charge. Someplace where if by chance something happened and the bag failed to contain the flame nothing else would catch fire. These bags are made to ...... flames from much more powerful batteries than we are using. ** I have no ties to the videos or bags they sell they just had a good video :D So long as you go with a well known RC brand name you will be good to go.

Check out the difference it could make!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcwOwf55Rtc

Be safe.

CC

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
There has been a lot of conflicting reports on those bags. Many have stated that the bags will raise temperatures of the charging batteries and can make charging more dangerous. I personally have never used them and never will. My charger sits on my entertainment center, on the shelf below the tv. I can easily keep an eye on them while charging. Those that are truly worried can use a large metal pot to charge in.

CajunCloud

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
In da swamps, LA, USA
I don't think heat will be an issue with these little single cell chargers, my cheap Trustfire doesn't even get warm much less hot. The big packs for the RC just get warm to hot and that is only due to the fast rate they are being charged at compared to many vape chargers out there that are only 500mA or maybe 1A outputs. Ever feel 7.2v 5200mAh battery packs after they have been discharged in 15 minutes? Now that is hot! LOL

Now I am thinking of using my fancy dancy RC battery charger to condition these cells and see exactly how much they are storing and putting out.

CC

CajunCloud

Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
In da swamps, LA, USA
The bag I have seems to allow for airflow from the side gaps on the closing flap. Almost like vents in case something happens. As I just mentioned above my charger barely gets warm. You could always prop the bag up a bit if you wanted more airflow around the charger without the top resting on it directly since the bags are so much bigger than a typical 2 cell charger.

CC

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
JC_ThankYou.gif
I saw this on Fasttech website a while back but I am glad you posted it here. People should be aware of there dangers. Thanks for posting this for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread