cartridge refilling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredK

Jul 17, 2010
NJ
Hello all, newbie here. Trying to get my wife into e-cigs, she's been smoking analogs for 30 years and wants try these out.

I was going to order her the 510's. She likes that they look like 'real' cigarettes more than the ego's and is willing to sacrifice on battery life.

The only question I have now is filling the cartridges. I'm ordering from cignot and it comes with 5 prefilled carts. If I order a bottle of liquid, do I just refill theses same carts that came prefilled once they are empty or do I need to buy a different blank cart for use with the liquid?

Great website and source of info for e cigs. Thanks.

shadowin

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
Malaysia
My guess is, just wash them with water is good enough. And you only need need to wash them once when you need to change the flavor of e-liquid. And if the previous e-liquid is not so strong, like menthol or atomic cinnamon (i read this somewhere) then you can just refill 2 or 3 drops into the cartridge without the cleaning process.

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
you also do not have to wash it out if you would like the blend of flavors. for instance, i got menthol juice from V4L, i had some chocolate carts that were almost dead, i dropped a few menthol drops and it was a new chocolate-mint cart with more mint than chocolate but it was nice. i would only recommend doing this on flavors that you would consider a good pair. I tried grape and vanilla, it was terrible lol

FredK

Jul 17, 2010
NJ
I notice you can buy blank carts, I'm assuming for dripping? Are the prefilled carts and the blank carts the same thing minus the filling and juice? So if I take the filling out of a prefilled cart, wash it, I can use that to drip?

Also, how long does it take to charge a standard 510 battery using the AC charger? How about the extended battery?

Thanks.

GtrSoloist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
USA
Welcome!

Since your wife wants something more like a cigarette, have you considered getting her a KR808d-1 style e-cig? It's a simpler, 2 piece PV; consisting of a battery and cartomizer (atomizer & cartridge in one.)

They are easy to fill and even easier to just screw on a new cartomizer when the old one is empty. Plus the cartomizers hold more fluid so you can vape on them longer.

Something to consider if she wants ease of use, I love mine.

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
It's taken me a long time to figure this out but I will list the things that I've picked up from the site about cartos (I use KR808d's):

1. You can refill them with the same liquid 2 or 3 times and the flavor will still be OK but after that you'll need to clean them, especially when switching flavors.
2. There are some instructive videos on cleaning on Youtube and some are linked on V4L's website -- I boil a couple times for 15 minutes each, draining each time, etc. but you have to see the videos.
3. Drying them out is tricky, you don't want to roast them, so low oven heat (maybe 175 degrees) for about an hour seems to do the trick -- but only dry them if you're not going to use them for a while; the wick should not be damaged (other posts describe carto construction far better than I can) and can shrink and that's what actually gets heated when vaping so its real important.
4. I think the burnt taste you get is when you vape too long and burn the wick -- at this point, the cart could be cashed.
5. This may have nothing to do with 510's but I know that a lot of people on the site like the 2 piece, especially when staring out. Its refilling that really saves you the cash so the quicker you learn the better plus you'll find yourself eventually dripping anyway so you'll need the juices around!

I smoked for 29 years and its been 6 weeks since my last cigarette, I'm freaking amazed as I've never been known for my willpower.....hope that helps...

Dmcafee

Jun 29, 2010
Oklahoma
i use my carts over and over. i went to the pet store and bought a box of fluval. its the white filler stuff they put in the filter of fish tanks. i'm sure you have seen it. it came in sheets so i split a sheet by separating it. then just cut to size and refill my cart. i use the same fill when changing flavors if i'm use similar juices like, coconut cream pie, banana fosters coffee, etc... they all have a creamy base to them. if i am trying a totally new juice flavor i go with new fluval so i can get the full flavor to start with and see how i like it.
hope this helps you out.

Dmcafee

Jun 29, 2010
Oklahoma
i use my carts over and over. i went to the pet store and bought a box of fluval. its the white filler stuff they put in the filter of fish tanks. i'm sure you have seen it. it came in sheets so i split a sheet by separating it. then just cut to size and refill my cart. i use the same fill when changing flavors if i'm use similar juices like, coconut cream pie, banana fosters coffee, etc... they all have a creamy base to them. if i am trying a totally new juice flavor i go with new fluval so i can get the full flavor to start with and see how i like it.
hope this helps you out.

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
FredK said:
I considered the KR8, but read that you can't blow as much vapor as you can from the 510. I think that would be a big thing with her, she really likes smoke.

IMO the kr808 has a very good amount of vapor. Just get good cartos with good juice. I use premium v4l cartos with their wow juice. I can not imagine having more vapor. It's a .... ton.

FredK

Jul 17, 2010
NJ
Do yourself a big favor and through the carts away! Get yourself some blank 510 cartomizers. And some good juice and learn how to refill them.
Problem solved. Enjoy.

How is this different than taking a regular cart and pulling out the filling? Other than I see the atomizer is a 3.4.

And what is a drip tip? Can't you just drip with a standard 510 atty?

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
IF, you are going to drip, that is the best tasting and most luxurious vaping you can get. My opinion on cartomizers is simply as an alternative to using regular carts. I for one do not like the hassle of dripping every 4-5 hits. Carto's solve that problem and last me 6-8 hours.
Now all that being said, I now use The Journeyman mod, which is a bottom feeder. Welcome to R&R Manufacturing - Handcrafted Battery Box Mods
I have owned so many mods that I doubt I could even keep track of them but this mod is by far the best thing I have used. You get the full flavor of dripping in the convenience of an all day, push a button to reload, mod! It's not cheap but if you add up the money you're going to spend on all those mods that don't quite get the job done, it's a steal!!!!

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
So in the case of the V4L prefilled cartomizers, do you pry out the plastic piece from the "mouth" end in order to replace the poly material? Is is press fit?

What if you just want to drip more juice into the cart without replacing the poly? Do you have to siringe the mouth hole and if so, how much do you put into a spent cart in order to refresh it?

I guess a better way of asking the 2nd question is: What's the best (easy/convenient) way to top off a cartomizer with juice?

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
...I guess a better way of asking the 2nd question is: What's the best (easy/convenient) way to top off a cartomizer with juice?

First question, don't even bother trying to change the filler for cartos...just not worth the effort and depending on the style of coil, you'll probably never get it right.

Above... you could use a syringe but that is quite a production, and I think you want to do it on go with just a dripper bottle, correct? I know this method works well for kr8 and 510 (Boge) cartos.

Just drip into the hole at the threaded (battery) end... as long as you don't block the mouthpiece hole, your juice will be sucked in about a drop/sec. Stop when it slows down or drips out of the mouthpiece hole. Give two hard blows from the mouthpiece into a napkin to clear the atomizer airway and you're good to go.

I usually top off 15-20 drops this way very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread