Cartos Changing in Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Its just come to my attention that my cartos might be changing in resistance as they grow older. I had no idea this happens.

I have been loving my 808 Ego with the LR cartos. Until recently. the battery would shut down every time i used them, but would work fine with standard resistance ones. i emailed the vendor and he basically said that as the cartos change in resistance, the battery becomes less able to handle it.

this makes sense because the cartos were excellent for the first few fills. if the resistance lowers over time that would explain what im experiencing.

so my question is- do all cartos eventually lose their original resistance? would cleaning the cartos help restore them??

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Kemosabe sir yes that's true. juice can lower the resistance (ie a dry carto that hasn't been used could read at 3.1 ohms, once juice is added now reads 2.8 ohms), and residue from used juice can raise it once it's good and caked on there, cleaning it properly can restore it to it's old level, but as the carto ages the coil begins to break down lowering resistance. All the cleaning in the world won't restore a dying coil, so no it won't help. Give you a good example-

Had a blank wow carto read 2.6 ohms when empty, once filled read 2.2 ohms, before cleaning had reached a level of 2.7 ohms. After cleaning back down to 2.2 ohms. After 87 refills, and 12 cleanings, was rated at 2.0 ohms. On the 5th refill after that it stopped working all together. When I took it apart the coil was burned out.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
wow that is one trooper of a carto! you are an evil genius Morandir. this is exactly the type of info i was looking for. im gonna clean them just to see what happens. i got a carto cleaning kit thrown in my last order from smoktek so i might as well give it a whirl. plus the carto's coil(s) might still be good. could be some caked juice going on. i did see some black flecks in the runoff when i (over)filled one.

Catmom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2011
Blue Ridge Heaven
Will admit to being evil Kemosabe sir, not the genius part. :)

Will pm you a link to the best way to dry cartos tomorrow. :)

Could you pm me that link too? Or just share it with the rest of us? I've tried several methods of cleaning and drying cartos. I really wish I could afford to just toss them when they're empty! Nothing tastes as good as a brand new carto filled with my favorite juice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread