Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2011
California
Hi There tank users!

So I am impatiently awaiting my Smoktech Pro DCTank 6ml, which comes with 5 2.5ohm cartos (I use a VV PV mostly), and wanted to get a feel for what to do when I need new cartos.

I will most likely be using Smoktech 2.5s and Boge 2.9s single or dualcoil. My question being, what is the best carto punch to buy for this tank? Of course I will be purchasing more tank styles after I get a feel for this one, but for now the Pro DCTank 6ml is what I will be using.

I understand that if you don't use dual coils, the singles must be XL to fit the tank.

So basically, what is your preferred carto punch tool, and where did you get it?

And what types of cartos do you use in your tanks? Not interested in LR

Thanks everybody!:vapor:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
The saddle strap tool below was $5.99 shipped from eBay. I've used both styles and this 'un is the way to go:
thumbsup.gif

IMG_8986-Punch4.jpg

Photo credit to MikeE3.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I posted a thread over in the pif forum, a $5 hub plus $0.35 1/4-20 sheet metal screws (though the screws have shipping charge). The hub keeps the carto from slipping around, similar concept to the cov punch, just that it uses sheet metal screw rather than a sharpened thumbscrew.

I've used a dremel to slot for 6 months, tried a couple of the self piercing saddle valves but found them a pita. The diy punch I posted is simple, gets a decent hole where you want it.

Last edited:

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
1/4 inch self tapping saddle valve is the way to go. It's really cheap and can be bought at your local hardware store. Located in the plumbing section. Easy to assemble and use for a while. Don't use DCC at all anymore and so, I prefer XL Smoketech 2.8 ohm, IKV Mega XL 510 and 808 cartos in my XL Phiniac tank.

Last edited:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
Wait are you using the cartos that have a metal base on them? Bc if so, a lot of saddle valves wont work bc of the flanged bottom. You dont have to use a carto with a metal base, but they are nice bc they stop the tank from being able to slide down and also stay in place when you pull the drip tip off.

I use a Smoktech 3.5ml tank on an E-Power and love it. I think dual coils suck at lower voltages so instead I use the 1.7ohm Ressurector cartos and they work a LOT better. CCV and Hoosier both sell pre-punched Ressurectors that have the metal base on them like the DC carto that comes with the tanks. The Ressurectors are awesome, but they are LR, so on a VV device their not what you should use bc they will limit the voltages you could use.

I punch my cartos with a simple hammer and finishing nail. I cant bring myself to buy a carto punch or saddle valve when a hammer and finishing nail does the same thing. I do use the pre-punched Ressurectors bc I do like having the metal base cartos bc I carry my tanks in my pocket everywhere I go. The pre-punched hole is very small though and really only feeds well with thinner mostly PG juices.
I have 2 3.5ml tanks, and in one I use a thin 80/20 Cafe Caramel juice and the other I use a thick 100%VG Bobas Bounty juice. The 80/20 juice does feed pretty well with the small pre-punched hole, but I still make the hole the slightest bit bigger so it feeds better when doing dry pulls. For the very thick Bobas Bounty juice though, the small pre-punched hole does not feed juice fast enough to keep the carto wet. So for that juice, using a finishing nail and hammer, I make the pre-punched hole about 3-4x bigger, and then also punch a second hole about the same size on the other side. With 2 holes instead of 1, and also much bigger holes, the thick Bobas Bounty juice feeds perfectly to the carto.
I put the carto in a vice to hold it in place why I punch the hole/holes, and just leave the metal base(threaded end) off the end of the vice. If you have a vice then I would def try just using a hammer and finishing nail. Its not the fanciest way to punch your cartos, but it works well regardless. You dont have to use a vice, but it does just make it easier bc the carto wont move around why your trying to punch it.

If you do ever decide to get something else, I wouldnt get the COV Carto Punch. Yeah it works well, but $40 is pretty ridiculous for something that just punches your cartos.
If you want something like that, check out this: SmokTank Cartomizer Hole Punch
The SmokTank carto puncher is basically the same thing as the COV carto punch, but for about 1/4 of the price.
(Again though, if your using cartos with a metal base, this wont work either)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread