Card fraud - Before you blame an online retailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.R. Bob Dobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
near buffalo, NY
i just buy those 3$ credit cards at walmart. you preload what you plan to spend and once it's empty cancel it.

easy peasy and only costs 3$ for a little bit of security. The only real hassle is planning your spending. if your like my you add extra on top of the plan because "ohh i want that e juice!"

antz808

Apr 2, 2013
wahiawa, hi
i just buy those 3$ credit cards at walmart. you preload what you plan to spend and once it's empty cancel it.

easy peasy and only costs 3$ for a little bit of security. The only real hassle is planning your spending. if your like my you add extra on top of the plan because "ohh i want that e juice!"

Exactly what I do. In fact my co worker and brother are getting wal mart cards also to make purchases online.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
im not seeing where u can get a virtual cc #

Start using "ShopSafe". With this you create a virtual CC number that's not the one on your card. You can set your own upper limit and expiration date. It can only be used for one (1) vendor and if anyone tries to use it anywhere else it will be refused.

I set up one every time I shop online and even get a different number each time even if I'm shopping with the same vendor. I set the $ limit to just over what I expect to pay and set the expiration date for 2 months.

To check out "ShopSafe" look toward the bottom right on your online account page.

Also, it's a free service.

As this is very relevant to the original post, I am copying a post I made on a different thread to here. Mods, if this is not allowed, let me know.

Credit card fraud is rampant. Everywhere. Not just online.

Some recent known, reported breaches of card info, by report date:
April 2013 Gomez Gasoline and Automotive, California
April 2013 Wawa, New Jersey
April 2013 Schnucks Markets (2.4 million cards)
April 2013 Works Bakery Cafe, Maine
April 2013 Shoplet.com, NY
April 2013 Tennis Express, Tx
March 2013, Unnamed restaurant in Hawaii
March 2013 Fabric Depot, OR
Feb 2013 INformation Handling Services, CO
Feb 2013 Sprouts, AZ
Feb 2013 Hotusa Group
Feb 203 Kork and Keg, IN
Feb 2013 Haagen-Daz, FL
Feb 2013 ATMs in NJ, IL and WI - Skimming devices
Feb 2013 Talk Fusion, FL
Feb 2013 McDonald's, Shogun Japanese Restaurant, Krystal, Polished Nail Salon - Skimmers used by employees
Feb 2013 Thorlo, NC
Feb 2013 Bashas', Lake Havasu City and Pinal County

These are just the last few months of reports. I got this from Chronology of Data Breaches | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse if anyone is interested.

Bottom line, CC fraud is everywhere, and unless you ONLY used your card at a specific vendor, than it would be very unfair to name that vendor and damage their reputation without proof of a compromise at their location.

nuttyriv3r

Verified Member
May 9, 2013
Worcester, MA
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: Duplicate post
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread